IGNORED

A better mario bros for atari 2600

DINTAR816

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi, I'm here with a small update of this game (just a test) although this is not yet optimized, in the next version I will improve the code (perhaps change the majority of the code) and the kernel to make it moving platforms, could do as suggested LS_Dracon, using the same player that "mario" but could also use the "missile" or "ball" to do that. :)

The turtles will change for a more arcade-like (at least similar). :-D

The name of this game I'll change later to avoid legal problems (I think I have one in mind). ;-)

mariobros_4k_v2.bin

• Like 9

Hi, I'm here with a small update of this game (just a test) although this is not yet optimized, in the next version I will improve the code (perhaps change the majority of the code) and the kernel to make it moving platforms, could do as suggested LS_Dracon, using the same player that "mario" but could also use the "missile" or "ball" to do that. :)
The turtles will change for a more arcade-like (at least similar). :-D
The name of this game I'll change later to avoid legal problems (I think I have one in mind). ;-)

Sweet update, and looking forward to the future improvements. Thank you for sharing it. Sounds, looks, and controls very well.

Stella users, don't forget...

Game Properties (button) --> Display (tab) --> Use Phosphor = Yes

...To reduce (enemy) flickering. ;)

• Like 2

Nice update. I like how 2 enemies appear on the platform rather than turning away when another is on the platform like the original 2600 version. Maybe to avoid copyright, you could make a version with female characters instead?

P.S. On MS-DOS there was Aldo's Adventure! ;)

There was also a text based clone for DOS called Ario Bros, though that name might be too obvious. I would also like to see the Game & Watch Mario Bros on the 2600. Very different from the arcade game, but a nice game in its own right. Actually, I would like to see a lot of the Game & Watch games on 2600, including DK Jr.

Edited by BrianC

Howsabout a little GABAGOUL?

gabagaba.gif

little Sopranos reference there...

and if you don't know what gabagoul is-

Capocollo (in the United States, cappicola or gabagoul; in Canada, capicollo or capicolla),[1] or coppa, is a traditional Italian pork cold cut (salume) made from the dry-cured muscle running from the neck to the 4th or 5th rib of the pork shoulder or neck. This cold cut is sometimes called coppa. The name capocollo comes from capo("head") and collo ("neck") of a pig. The Italian word "capocollo'" is of Italian origin, but its precise etymology is unknown (in Latin caput means head and collum means head or head and neck). It is a whole muscle salume, dry cured and, typically, sliced very thin. It is similar to the more widely known cured ham or prosciutto, because they are both pork-derived cold-cuts that are used in similar dishes. However, coppa is not brined as ham typically is. (from wikipedia- cause they're always right!)

Seriously- this is an awesome port! You have given this game not only the arcade look- but the arcade feel!

and as you can see... I'm a big fan of the original.

img_1379.jpg

Edited by Raygunn
  • Like 4

Love the widebody. I have a DK with DK2 and switcher for DKJr. DK was my favorite back in the day, but grew to live the original MarioBros. My best friend and I frequented a game room with 2 for 25 cents games. We played Mario all the time. We later played the 5200 version for nights on end. Great game. Underrated. Especially great with co-op, friend out against. I have limited space for more arcades, so I'm waiting for the right Mario to come around my area.

Howsabout a little GABAGOUL?

gabagaba.gif

little Sopranos reference there...

and if you don't know what gabagoul is-

Capocollo (in the United States, cappicola or gabagoul; in Canada, capicollo or capicolla),[1] or coppa, is a traditional Italian pork cold cut (salume) made from the dry-cured muscle running from the neck to the 4th or 5th rib of the pork shoulder or neck. This cold cut is sometimes called coppa. The name capocollo comes from capo("head") and collo ("neck") of a pig. The Italian word "capocollo'" is of Italian origin, but its precise etymology is unknown (in Latin caput means head and collum means head or head and neck). It is a whole muscle salume, dry cured and, typically, sliced very thin. It is similar to the more widely known cured ham or prosciutto, because they are both pork-derived cold-cuts that are used in similar dishes. However, coppa is not brined as ham typically is. (from wikipedia- cause they're always right!)

Seriously- this is an awesome port! You have given this game not only the arcade look- but the arcade feel!

and as you can see... I'm a big fan of the original.

img_1379.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...