IGNORED

EEPROM burner

dphirschler

I want to get into burning my own eeproms (for the TI carts). Can some of you experts out there recommend a good (and cheap) burner for me? I’ve been surprised by my early Ebay results, but I fear the cheap price tag and small size is misleading. While cheap small devices do what I want to do?

Darryl

• Like 1

I want to get into burning my own eeproms (for the TI carts). Can some of you experts out there recommend a good (and cheap) burner for me? I’ve been surprised by my early Ebay results, but I fear the cheap price tag and small size is misleading. While cheap small devices do what I want to do?

Darryl

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=minipro+programmer&_frs=1

• Like 1

Just so you know—the MiniPro programmers in Tony's post are either TL866CS or TL866A. The TL866CS is all you need if you are only going to burn chips separate from their circuits; but, the TL866A also has an ICSP header and adapter cable in case you want to do in-circuit stuff at some point—and—it is often only a few $$ more. I cannot yet offer you a review because I just got mine yesterday and am awaiting the imminent arrival of EPROMs sometime this week. Tony speaks well of the MiniPro, however, and will undoubtedly chime in again.

...lee

Just so you know—the MiniPro programmers in Tony's post are either TL866CS or TL866A. The TL866CS is all you need if you are only going to burn chips separate from their circuits; but, the TL866A also has an ICSP header and adapter cable in case you want to do in-circuit stuff at some point—and—it is often only a few $$ more. I cannot yet offer you a review because I just got mine yesterday and am awaiting the imminent arrival of EPROMs sometime this week. Tony speaks well of the MiniPro, however, and will undoubtedly chime in again.

...lee

I have both the Genius G540 and the Minpro. I paid about $40 for the MiniPro and $60 for the Genius. The MiniPro wins hands down. It allows you to change voltage settings in the case of a 'difficult' eprom (More power, Ugh Ugh!) or if you've got one that doesn't appear on it's menu and you can match up the chip pinouts.

And it also allows me to set the config for those stinking 1284p chips so I can program them in the MRP01.

Gazoo

Pardon me for being such a newb, but could you please tell me which eeproms I need to order as well? My immediate need will be for the 512k supercart. I want to make my own eeprom for a super game cart. My questions are listed below.

1. Which eeprom will I need to get for carts?

- As I am learning more about the 512K cart, it appears to be able to take smaller capacity EEPROMS (64K) up to 512K and above (1024K?) if I solder in a resister. Correct? It appears the chip part numbers are printed on the 512K cart board.

2. Can these eeprom burners also read an eeprom and store the data in a file on the PC?

- I believe the answer to this is YES... at least if the Youtube video I just watched is any indicator.

3. How do you erase the EEPROM (or can you)?

- I think they can be erased in the 'burner', correct? It's the EPROMS (single E) that use UV light to erase them. Am I right?

4. How many times can they be erased and rewritten?

Darryl

Edited by dphirschler