IGNORED

GB Color Games

TPA5

Hey guys,

So I just got a GB Color in the mail, thank to FujiSkunk, and now it's time to start looking at some games for it. I never had a GB Color growing up, so I'm not as aware of the games for that system beyond the Oracle series for Legend of Zelda, and of course Link's Awakening DX. Beyond that, I'm wondering what games you all recommend? I'm not looking for "collector" games, I'm looking for games that are just fun to play. Having boxes/manuals/etc is not a concern really.

Thanks folks!

Not to be a party pooper, but I loathed the Game Boy Color. It was a lazy semi-update of the GB hardware and its games were typically lame film and cartoon licensed schlock.

Having said that... if you want a GB Color title that really makes this unnecessary system seem worthwhile, give Space Invaders a try. It was a completely new game and quite well designed, with lots of new powers for your ship and a spooky 50s sci-fi soundtrack.

• Like 1

There 's a few really good GBC RPGs if that is your thing. Lufia: The Legend Returns and Dragon Warrior III are both great games. There's quite a few DX updates that add color but retain compatibility with the original hardware. Pokemon Silver/Gold is a good example.

Game Boy batteries suck though so be prepared to replace a few of them.

• Like 1

I only have one GBC game but I do quite enjoy it - Shamus. Kind of a berzerk style game but a lot of fun, it came out on a lot of the old 80's computers back in the day.

Heh, that's the only GBC game I've beaten. I got some enjoyment out of it, and some frustration as well. To get the best ending (IIRC it requires 3000+ points) is surprisingly tough -- you have to play almost perfectly, and not use any passwords.

• Like 1

Not to be a party pooper, but I loathed the Game Boy Color. It was a lazy semi-update of the GB hardware and its games were typically lame film and cartoon licensed schlock.

Yeah, I agree it's tough to find the good games in the giant heap of garbage. But there's good stuff like the Mega Man X(treme) games, and some licensed stuff is actually good, like this Wendy Witch game from WayForward:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLV__fwADKc

• Like 1

I just played through Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 and Looney Tunes Collector Alert. I have been on quite a GBC kick lately. They were both very good games although DWM was very long and Looney Tunes was very short. Still, I think there are many hidden gems on that system. I just wish they would've kept the black carts instead of those poofy clear ones. They are a bit tricky to stack on a shelf.

• Like 1

Like Wendy, Shantae is another great game from WayForward, but hard to find because it was released very late in the system's life. Metal Gear Solid is a very good game in the series, the control is fantastic. Dragon Warrior I & II is a great value (and mono GB compatible). Both Wario Land II DX and Wario Land 3 are excellent platformers. Pokemon Pinball is fun because it uses the Rumble Pak, and Kirby's Tilt 'N Tumble has motion sensor control. Dragon's Lair is an insanely impressive port of the Laserdisc arcade classic.

• Like 2

If you like NES games then you'll enjoy the GBC... I recommend ports like Super Mario Bros. DX and Ghosts 'n Goblins. The GBC exclusive games like Bionic Commando: Elite Forces and Cannon Fodder are also worth it so it's not just colorized GB games like I originally thought it was.

• Like 1

I've always really liked:

Crystalis

Toobin'

Blades of Steel '99

Yars' Revenge

Also, I'd recommend picking up Dragon's Lair and Mortal Kombat 4 if you come across them cheap. They're not the best of games, but very interesting curiosities. With Dragon's Lair it's amazing that they were able to pull off an arcade port on the GBC hardware. The animation is even kind of charming in a way. As for MK4, it's the only version of the game that isn't 3D so it plays more like traditional MK but with MK4 characters. It also has bizarre cut-scene style fatalities that were never put in any other version.

• Like 1

Pretty much most of the stuff I'd recommend has already been mentioned.

Two that haven't been talked about yet are Prince of Persia and Shadowgate. Both I believe are based on the NES versions, but both are really good. If I recall correctly, Shadowgate has some enhancements over the NES one.

My most-played GBC games back in the day were Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, and Ghosts 'n Goblins. Mario Bros. Deluxe is a lot of game--Super Mario Bros and Super Mario Bros 2 (i.e., the Lost Levels for us in the 'States). It has save functionality, a map screen for each world, and lots of unlockable goodies. It's a great game. Ghosts 'n Goblins seems to be based on the NES version and has the same graphical style, however the game runs silky smooth (unlike the choppy NES version).

R-Type DX is also cool, but I found the color version to feel less smooth than the original B&W releases of R-Type and R-Type II. It's like they not only added color, but modified how the collision detection and overall feel of the game works. Fortunately, both the B&W versions are on the color DX cart.

Man, reminiscing about the GBC makes me recall how dark that screen was. You need some really good light to play on that thing (just like with the original GBA)!

• Like 1

Also the Donkey Kong Country port was cool for its time. Translating a 16-bit game to a color 8-bit system. I didn't think the physics were as great as Donkey Kong Land 1,2,3 but since Donkey Kong Land was more of its own game, it was cool to play this direct copy of the SNES game as a fourth 8-bit entry. The Game Boy Advance version makes it obsolete, but if you want to take a step back in time it isn't terrible.

• Like 2

These are awesome suggestions guys, I'm pumped to start picking these up and digging into them! Thanks so much for the awesome responses, this is helping me build my purchase list. (Although, I doubt my wife would as thankful to your suggestions!)

The only thing I am debating now is if I want to try and add a backlight to this system, or should I just grab an old-fashioned wormlight? Part of me likes the idea of a slick backlight, but I don't know if I really want to pull the unit apart to install it.

The only thing I am debating now is if I want to try and add a backlight to this system, or should I just grab an old-fashioned wormlight? Part of me likes the idea of a slick backlight, but I don't know if I really want to pull the unit apart to install it.

Or buy a GBA SP.