IGNORED

Two-player simultaneous games

Pixelboy

I would love to see Contra or like someone said earlier Metal Slug.

I also think a Castlevania co-op type game would be breaking new ground in that game series.

Jackal might be fun seeing as it's a top down Contra in jeeps co-op. I always loved that arcade and NES game.

Another great 2 player game may be Goonies from Datasoft. If any of you all remember playing it on a vintage computer it was a fantastic 2 player simultaneous game where you and your friend had to control two of the kids at a time throughout the game.

Datasoft was on fire back then with Goonies, Bruce Lee,and Zorro... all platform puzzle games that required real thinking..

Of course seeing a two player horror game would be awesome as in a game like Resident Evil done in Coleco two player side scrolling format would be adorable.

Resident Pixel Degeneration

Edited by imstarryeyed

I think a unique/original aspect of a two player simultaneous game on a ColecoVision would be having sufficiently competent AI to be able to play along with the player when another human is not available. In other words, one player or two, there are always two protagonists trying to accomplish whatever the intended goal is. Naturally, depending upon the game type (for instance, if the computer player is too good, it's like it's invincible, if it's too poor of a player than it's a liability), this may be impractical, but I think it would be a real breakthrough/differentiator.

What would be nifty in regards to the above is drop-in/drop-out capability for a second player, sort of like how the classic 8-bit game, Bruce Lee, allowed a player to take control of the Green Yamo and either help or hinder the player's Bruce Lee character. If a short period of time passed and the second player wasn't doing anything with the Green Yamo, it reverted back to CPU control (and being solely against the player).

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

The Roller Controller is already proof that you can have two steering wheels on the Colecovision.

At this point the only incentive to actually making an adapter would be bragging rights.

The opportunities for the Collectorvision, in my opinion, are being wasted.

New backward compatible OS with the ability to use multiple controllers, players, paddles, expanded graphics of the Coleco theme.

Let's see how far they go.

Edited by Mike Harris

Well, anyway, to answer my own original post, I would suggest to this hypothetical homebrewer to do a street fighting game à la Double Dragon, which would of course offer a two-player co-op mode.

As for a CV two-player remake, my vote would go to Venture. A split-screen two-player Venture would be really cool. :)

I'm working on a brawler game on Colecovision.

Supporting two player would be a challenge since the console can't use more four sprites in a row without flickering.

I'm working on a brawler game on Colecovision.

Supporting two player would be a challenge since the console can't use more four sprites in a row without flickering.

See, that's where the Collectorvision could make up the difference.

Backwards compatible, turn off the 4 sprite limitation, have MORE sprites and tiles.

See, that's where the Collectorvision could make up the difference.

Backwards compatible, turn off the 4 sprite limitation, have MORE sprites and tiles.

Sounds like either SGM1 or even Phoenix mode with awesome graphics.

Unless we have a compiler and tools supported sgm1 and Phoenix.

Edited:

Wait! We have SGM2 and Omni systems too.

Edited by Serguei2
  • Like 1