IGNORED

TurboGrafx-16 Hidden Gems (Video)

The TurboGrafx-16 or PC Engine in Japan was an amazing, powerful & fun gaming console that never quite found mainstream success in most of the world. However, game collectors know there are some great Hidden Gems on the system and Carlos is here to offer some suggestions.

What games should be in Part 2?

• Like 1

I'll offer a few suggestions for USA Turbo Grafx 'hidden gems' hucards:

Chew Man Fu - action/puzzle game, 2-player simultaneous, supports saving with CD player or Turbo Booster Plus

Somer Assault - shooter/platform game, you control a Slinky type thing

Final Lap Twin - decent F1 racing game, two-player simultaneous split screen play, features unique quest mode that plays like an RPG, instead of turn based fights, you have races! earn gold, upgrade your car, save the land!

World Court Tennis - solid tennis game, four-player simultaneous play, features unique quest mode that plays like an RPG, instead of turn based fights, you have tennis matches! earn gold, upgrade your tennis racket, buy better equipment like shoes, save the land!

Cyber-Core - great shooter, plays very much like Dragon Spirit, insect theme vertical shooter, power ups morph your ship into s stronger craft, great music!

Time Cruise - really good pinball game, often lost on the shuffle by the Crush games.. time travel theme, great variety of bonus games, smooth scrolling play field that goes both up and down as well as left to right!

Super Volleyball - unique 2D view volleyball game, plays really well, fast paced, easy to learn, it's really a lot of fun!

these games I've mentioned are often overlooked, not known, and just get very little exposure.. and they are all very playable, very fun games! everyone that knows a little about Turbo Grafx always talks about the Bonks, the Legendary Axes, the Crush games, the Neutopias, the Dungeon Explorers, and the shooters...

Turbo Grafx 16 is the one console that I enjoy every game released in the USA, so much I had acquired all 94 hucards and 44 CD/SCD games!

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed both of the videos, but I agree that some of the games you are talking about are indeed the most well known games on the system and aren't "hidden". Maybe just "TG-16 Gems" would be a more apt name. :)

And then people in the YouTube comments have mentioned that the entire TG16 library is a "hidden gem"... I tend to go in the middle somewhere. Thanks for watching!

Yeah, I think the number of active retro gamers who are actually familiar with the TG-16 is small enough that the entire game library could arguably be considered "hidden"--at least, relative to consoles such as NES, SNES,and Genesis.

Agreed. Even if you are curious about the TG-16, it is quite the rabbit hole to get into. All the different add-ons really complicate things and anything besides a base TG-16 console and some of the more common hucard games gets pretty expensive.

I also see tons of people that consider themselves retro gamers that don't touch anything outside of Nintendo, whether it be Sega, Atari, NEC, etc, etc, which is a damn shame.

Nice vids, MJ, but then I'm gonna like just about any TG videos.

I've got several of the games you've listed (Military Madness, Alien Crush, Devils Crush, World Court Tennis, JJ & Jeff, and Ninja Spirit). I used to have Time Cruise, but don't know what happened to it. I ordered it online when the Turbo inventory/distribution/whatever got taken over by TurboZoneDirect a long time ago, but it got lost in a move or something. Some of the others, I've downloaded on the Wii (but of course the experience isn't quite the same.) Still some others I remember renting from the local video rental place back in the day.

Great system, great games.

Yeah I picked up a TG-16 cheap a few months ago because the RF out was shot. I was able to get it going via a solder less AV mod using the pins on the expansion port.

It came with Alien Crush and Keith Courage.

I've had a lot of fun with those games but they are probably all I will ever own.

I've toyed with the idea of trading it for something like a 3DO because I never find TG-16 games anywhere. The rare times I do they are either in the $50-$100 range or they are "on hold" for someone else. Only reason I haven't traded it is because my 11 year old son loves Keith Courage and hopes we'll get the bonk games at some point.

The first two Bonk games are still under $30 but everything else is crazy.

It's a brutally expensive system to get into right now. :(

Edited by dashv

Final Lap Twin - decent F1 racing game, two-player simultaneous split screen play, features unique quest mode that plays like an RPG, instead of turn based fights, you have races! earn gold, upgrade your car, save the land!

To me, this one is truly a hidden gem. It's very easy to see it in with all the other crappy sports titles on ebay that are the only TG games under 20$ and say "well it's cheap and it's with TV Sport Basketball, it must suck".

Very good game IMO, good racing, the RPG element is simple but totally effective and powering up your car actually takes some thought. Love it.

Yeah I picked up a TG-16 cheap a few months ago because the RF out was shot. I was able to get it going via a solder less AV mod using the pins on the expansion port.

It came with Alien Crush and Keith Courage.

I've had a lot of fun with those games but they are probably all I will ever own.

I've toyed with the idea of trading it for something like a 3DO because I never find TG-16 games anywhere. The rare times I do they are either in the $50-$100 range or they are "on hold" for someone else. Only reason I haven't traded it is because my 11 year old son loves Keith Courage and hopes we'll get the bonk games at some point.

The first two Bonk games are still under $30 but everything else is crazy.

It's a brutally expensive system to get into right now. :(

the best way for me to play all those games its the turbo everdrive

• Like 1

Here my must have list:
Akumajou Dracula X - Chi No Rondo (CD)
Cotton - Fantastic Night Dreams (CD)
Gate of Thunder (CD)
Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire (CD)
God Panic Shijyou Saiku Gundan (CD)
Gradius II - Gofer no Yabou (CD)
Image Fight II - Operation Deepstriker (CD)
Kaze Kiri - Ninja Action (CD)
L-Dis (CD)
Seirei Senshi Spriggan
Summer Carnival '92 - Alzadick (CD)
Summer Carnival '93 - Nexzr Special (CD)
Star Parodia (CD)
Sylphia (CD)
Winds of Thunder (CD)

1943 Kai
Aero Blasters
Armed Formation F
Atomic Robo-Kid Special
Bomberman '94 (Bomberman '93 Special Edition)
Burning Angels
Coryoon - Child of Dragon
Cyber Core
Daisenpuu
Darius Plus (Darius Alpha)
Dead Moon
Detana!! TwinBee
Download
Dragon Saber - After Story of Dragon Spirit
Dragon Spirit
Fantasy Zone
Final Blaster
Final Soldier (Final Soldier Special Edition)
Galaga '88
Gradius
Gunhed (Gunhed Taikai)
Hana Taka Daka!
Heavy Unit
Image Fight
Kyuukyoku Tiger
Magical Chase
Mr. Heli no Daibouken
Ordyne
Override - Mission Code -Override-
Paranoia
Parodius Da! - Shinwa kara Owarai he
PC Denjin - Punkic Cyborgs
PC Genjin
PC Genjin 2
PC Genjin 3
Psycho Chaser
R-Type
R-Type Part-2
Rabio Lepus Special
Raiden
Rock On
Salamander
Side Arms - Hyper Dyne
Soldier Blade (Soldier Blade Special Version)
Splatterhouse
Street Fighter II' - Champion Edition
Super Star Soldier
Tatsujin
Terra Cresta II
Violent Soldier
W Ring - The Double Rings
Edited by VGC1612

Here my must have list:

Akumajou Dracula X - Chi No Rondo (CD)

Cotton - Fantastic Night Dreams (CD)

Gate of Thunder (CD)

Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire (CD)

God Panic Shijyou Saiku Gundan (CD)

Gradius II - Gofer no Yabou (CD)

Image Fight II - Operation Deepstriker (CD)

Kaze Kiri - Ninja Action (CD)

L-Dis (CD)

Seirei Senshi Spriggan

Summer Carnival '92 - Alzadick (CD)

Summer Carnival '93 - Nexzr Special (CD)

Star Parodia (CD)

Sylphia (CD)

Winds of Thunder (CD)

1943 Kai

Aero Blasters

Armed Formation F

Atomic Robo-Kid Special

Bomberman '94 (Bomberman '93 Special Edition)

Burning Angels

Coryoon - Child of Dragon

Cyber Core

Daisenpuu

Darius Plus (Darius Alpha)

Dead Moon

Detana!! TwinBee

Download

Dragon Saber - After Story of Dragon Spirit

Dragon Spirit

Fantasy Zone

Final Blaster

Final Soldier (Final Soldier Special Edition)

Galaga '88

Gradius

Gunhed (Gunhed Taikai)

Hana Taka Daka!

Heavy Unit

Image Fight

Kyuukyoku Tiger

Magical Chase

Mr. Heli no Daibouken

Ordyne

Override - Mission Code -Override-

Paranoia

Parodius Da! - Shinwa kara Owarai he

PC Denjin - Punkic Cyborgs

PC Genjin

PC Genjin 2

PC Genjin 3

Psycho Chaser

R-Type

R-Type Part-2

Rabio Lepus Special

Raiden

Rock On

Salamander

Side Arms - Hyper Dyne

Soldier Blade (Soldier Blade Special Version)

Splatterhouse

Street Fighter II' - Champion Edition

Super Star Soldier

Tatsujin

Terra Cresta II

Violent Soldier

W Ring - The Double Rings

just to be clear, these are PC Engine games..

very few were localized for the Turbo Grafx 16...

a couple other notes:

Alzadick is a game that only features caravan game modes.. as in, not a 'full' game.. kind of like Star Soldier R on the Wii

IMHO, Daisenpuu is Toaplans most boring, uninspired shooter, and the CD version is actually WORSE than the hucard.. want a GOOD Toaplan shooter? go with Hellfire S or Zero Wing.. they're much better and waaay more affordable than Tatsujin (which the PCE port is extremely hard, much harder than Truxton on the Sega Genesis)

Rock On is a very... pedestrian game.. very bland..

and Heavy Unit? it's terrible... really.. I'll trade it for a common NES game I don't have!

• 2 weeks later...