IGNORED

Head-To-Head Tank Challenge!

parkfun101

I've just finished working on my first Colecovision game, Head-To-Head Tank Challenge! It is a 2 player only game, thus the name "Head-To-Head". I felt there weren't many games for Colecovision that actually have 2 players playing at the same time. I've play tested the game with my friend and his son. We were laughing and having a great time.....the way I feel games SHOULD be!

This game has the following features:

Ability to get in or out of your tank
TNT for destroying opponent or Walls (cannot move TNT)
Lazer Walls that act as doors, shields, and can be used as a weapon
2 different breakable walls. One that takes 2 cannonball hits and 1 that takes only 1 cannonball hit
Fake Walls?

3 Modes of Play

Save POWs - Save the most POWs before time runs out to WIN

Most Hits Wins - Like the game Combat for Atari 2600

Destroy Enemy Base - Name says it all.
5 Speed Settings
32 Areas to choose from

Ricochet option (bouncing Bullets/Cannonballs)
Option to Hide and Show Tanks using 1 or 2 button (during game while you are in your tank)
Option to set the timer from 30-90 seconds by pressing 3 - 9 on the Title Screen.

Title08 20 2014

Get In Tank

Lazer Wall

TNT

Here is a link to more images from the game. I'll be working on a YouTube video soon for it.
http://atariage.com/forums/gallery/album/1242-head-to-head-tank-challenge/

• Like 12

I'm going to work with CollectorVision on this one. I'd rather just work on making the games and tools to help make games.

I always liked the game Ikari Warriors for the NES. In that one you could get in and out of a tank. In my game, you can run the other guy over, but the tanks in this game are a little slower than the men characters. The men also can't shoot your tank. The bullets just don't hurt them, that is why I added the TNT and the lazer doors so there would be a way for the men to destroy the tanks. The POWs in the game can also be run over or shot. You see a little skull and crossbones with the color of the player who killed them. Usually, you wouldn't want to kill a POW, but lets say P1 has saved 9 guys and you've saved 10 and P1 is about to save another, you could shoot the one he is about to save so his number won't beat yours (of course, I don't condone this in real life, but on a Colecovision, it could be pretty sneaky and funny).

During play testing, I had some friends over playing the game as I watched. They had turned off a lazer and were running around as men characters trying to shoot each other. They kept missing just barely and then one of them accidentally turned the lazer back ON which killed both of them......It was so funny, we all busted out laughing!!! There is something about watching a 1 color character getting destroyed that always makes me laugh.

I'm going to work with CollectorVision on this one. I'd rather just work on making the games and tools to help make games.

I always liked the game Ikari Warriors for the NES. In that one you could get in and out of a tank. In my game, you can run the other guy over, but the tanks in this game are a little slower than the men characters. The men also can't shoot your tank. The bullets just don't hurt them, that is why I added the TNT and the lazer doors so there would be a way for the men to destroy the tanks. The POWs in the game can also be run over or shot. You see a little skull and crossbones with the color of the player who killed them. Usually, you wouldn't want to kill a POW, but lets say P1 has saved 9 guys and you've saved 10 and P1 is about to save another, you could shoot the one he is about to save so his number won't beat yours (of course, I don't condone this in real life, but on a Colecovision, it could be pretty sneaky and funny).

During play testing, I had some friends over playing the game as I watched. They had turned off a lazer and were running around as men characters trying to shoot each other. They kept missing just barely and then one of them accidentally turned the lazer back ON which killed both of them......It was so funny, we all busted out laughing!!! There is something about watching a 1 color character getting destroyed that always makes me laugh.

This is totally Awesome!!! Will make sure to talk about it on the next ColecoVisions Podcast :) (and of course, its going to be a purchase as well :) ) Be cool if there was a demo for CGE next month :)

Edited by thevnaguy

I'm going to work on a video demo to put on YouTube.

I could probably make a demo version of the game that maybe just has 3-5 levels or so (instead of 33). If I make a demo playable version for CGE, who would I send it to so they can showcase it? It would only take me about an hour to make a demo version since I would just be cutting out some of the stages. I may have to double check with CollectorVision to make sure a demo version is cool to do before I give it out though.

I'm going to work on a video demo to put on YouTube.

I could probably make a demo version of the game that maybe just has 3-5 levels or so (instead of 33). If I make a demo playable version for CGE, who would I send it to so they can showcase it? It would only take me about an hour to make a demo version since I would just be cutting out some of the stages. I may have to double check with CollectorVision to make sure a demo version is cool to do before I give it out though.

Send me the rom file.... I will make sure to get it displayed at CGE ;)

• Like 2

I forgot to mention how the tanks take damage in the game. If your opponent hits your tank with a cannonball, your tank flashes for a few seconds. You can still move like normal and everything works fine. However, after a few seconds, the tank flashes much faster, the tank stops driving, but you can still turn and shoot for a few more seconds. After that, your tank explodes.

If your opponent hits your tank twice with a cannonball, or you get hit by an explosion from TNT or a lazer, your tank will explode.

During testing this weekend with my friends playing the Destroy Enemy Base mode, P1 had almost destroyed the other guys base, and then he exploded from a 2nd cannonball hit. P2 started shooting all the way across the screen to break the bricks in front of the opponent's base. P2 got hit by a cannonball so he backed up in between some walls and in front of his own base to act like a shield.... and he kept firing. His tank then became immobile and he STILL kept firing. P1 was closing in on him and right before his cannonball hit P2, P2 got off one more shot that destroyed P1's base.....It was awesome and P1 was shocked because he is pretty good at the game.

I created several short videos of the game. These videos show some basic game mechanics.

I'm thinking this type of game is better to just show people playing since I have to drive both tanks manually....which is extremely difficult to time for videos.

Ways to Attack Enemy.wmv

TankHitAndRespawn.wmv

3ModeAll.wmv

HideTank Option.wmv

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I want to thank AtariAge.com for allowing me to post my FREE PC game (that feels like an old-school game), Sinkhole Crisis, that I made back in 2013. It has taken me this long to find a place I can post it.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/230167-sinkhole-crisis-free-classic-style-game/

Sinkhole Crisis trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SLxUmtfY7E

Edited by parkfun101
  • Like 1

Thanks digress, well, the way I figure it is.....this game is like a portfolio for me on how I make games. Giving it away for free is fine so that others may become interested in my future games. I honestly don't care about making money off of my games, I just want to make fun games.

As I said in another thread, this game is fantastic. thanks for sharing. It would be great on Colecovision. I can't stop playing it.

• 1 month later...

When will you post a gameplay video of this game ?

I'm going to my friend's house in about 45 minutes to shoot gameplay for Tank Challenge. The videos I've made so far don't do it justice unless you play a two player game. Hopefully, I have the video all done by tonight or tomorrow. :D

• Like 1

Here are some videos of Tank Challenge Gameplay (finally) :)

Mode - Save Pows

1 of 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfzgK3cGVwg&feature=youtu.be

2 of 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8ja0nBSL-Q&feature=youtu.be

Mode - Destroy Enemy Base

1 of 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRaA68NaKEI&feature=youtu.be

2 of 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK8CcWYF4Wg&feature=youtu.be

This should give a feel of playing Tank Challenge with friends. You know.....It's pretty bad when you lose to someone in a game you created?! :)

• Like 4

Here are some videos of Tank Challenge Gameplay (finally) :)

Mode - Save Pows

1 of 2

2 of 2

Mode - Destroy Enemy Base

1 of 2

2 of 2

This should give a feel of playing Tank Challenge with friends. You know.....It's pretty bad when you lose to someone in a game you created?! :)

Looks awesome. Glad I ordered a copy.