IGNORED

Head-To-Head Tank Challenge!

parkfun101

Great fun - cool to see and hear how fun the game is. Looking forward to playing this with my daughter :)

It was great fun making Tank Challenge and having friends play it with me. Sometimes, it's just more fun playing games with people that are actually in the same room as you, ya know.

I have a feeling she might like the Save POWs mode since it is more about......well......saving the most people. |:)

I'll have to think about making a 1 player version. The fact that Tank Challenge has 3 modes complicates the idea of a creating an A.I. for the computer. In one mode, the computer would have to try to save POWs, another try to shoot you, and the other, try to destroy your base. Unfortunately, the game is already maxed out in terms of storage at 32Kb.....although I think the Mario Bros. game somehow had 64Kb yet still works on a CV????

One idea that comes to mind, the Save POWs 1-player version could just be a timed deal, where you must save all the POWs before time runs out, somewhat of a Puzzle style mode. Most Hits Wins, the A.I. Tank could attack you, so it would be more of an Arcade action game. Destroy Enemy Base could be that the A.I. just goes after you like in the Most Hits Wins, but your goal would be to Destroy the Enemy base in the given time or you lose the mission. :!:..... the Save POWs mode could be that you must save the POWs before time runs out, and the enemy tank is trying to destroy you at the same time....using the same A.I. code from the other modes.

This week, I started work on Tron, the Light cycles game for CV. I'm just trying to see if it will be possible to make the game. I've already got the bikes so they can be controlled by player 1 or 2 and I'm working on the light trail. I just need to get the angle pieces of the trail working correctly. Unlike the arcade game, I won't have the tiled floor, instead, it will just be black. By doing that, I can essentially have 3 colors for each bike. Black, the main color of the bike, and the Light color. This will actually only be 2 sprites per bike since black is the floor color, so the trade off is worth it to get the arcade look. To be honest, I used to get bored of the Light Cycles game, however, if I make it, I could add an Additional mode that has more levels and obstacles. So once I'm done figuring out if this game will even work the way I want/or actually make the game, then I may look into a Tank Challenge solo version.

For what its worth I am not fully getting the objective but it looks fun . Only problem is its only a two player game and I don't have anyone to play it with so I will have to pass . I would like to see maybe an updated version someday that is one player ... but great job making the game . :thumbsup:

Well, the objective depends on which mode you select, the videos don't show which modes were selected, so that could be confusing. Here's a breakdown of the Modes and what the objective is for each.

Modes:

Save POWs: Save more POWs than your opponent to win.

Most Hits Wins: Shoot your opponent more times than they shoot you within the time limit. 1pt for shooting the man and 1pt for destroying a tank.

Destroy Enemy Base: Destroy your opponent's base before they destroy yours.

I agree that a 1player option would be really fun, but just like the game Combat for the Atari 2600, Head-To-Head Tank Challenge is 2 player only. I may work on a 1player version later.

This is a game I've been thinking of making called Materializer.
In this pic you see the game piece icons. If the character touches them, it freezes the screen.
post-19076-0-01324000-1415400227_thumb.png

When the screen is frozen, the player can move the game piece anywhere on the screen.
post-19076-0-10048500-1415400586_thumb.png

Once the game pieces are placed, the player can get to the computer to turn on the portal. This allows them to go to the next level.

post-19076-0-03056300-1415400607_thumb.png

This is the next major game I want work on for Colecovision and this concept has not been released online. The images here are from a prototype version I made in The Games Factory II.

• Like 2

Interesting, although something similar already exists on the ColecoVision, namely Linking Logic. :)

Do you control the man in the game or just the bird in Linking Logic....I've never played it so I googled it and am I'm still not sure? My game is more of a combination of Jumpman where you control the character jumping around and perhaps Linking Logic except instead of a bird, you just place your piece fairly quickly and there is no time limit before you place the piece.

I'm sure there are significant differences between Linking Logic and your proposed game, I'm just mentioning that something somewhat similar exists on the ColecoVision. :)

You can program the CV games you want to program, buddy, and you can be sure I'll want to buy a copy when it comes out on cartridge. ;)

That's cool, I just don't want to make an "original" game that feels too much like another game (unless I'm doing a classic game). I've attached the 1 level demo of Materializer. This is a flash game *.swf file. To run it, you can just open it or drag it into a browser to play. It's just a proof of concept that I made in about a week. The portal that is created by using the cpu in the game can show up in 1 of 4 different places. This adds some replayability to the game since each time may be a little bit different. Also, the Colecovision version would probably have a larger screen to move around in compared to this version.

Feel free to let me know if this is the kind of thing you would like to see for Colecovision.

Materializer.zip

• 1 month later...

I got my copies of Tank Challenge today (Thanks Toby!!!) and I just wanted to show some pics of the final product. The guys at Collectorvision did an AWESOME job making the game box, manual and cartridge. It gives off the excitement and innocence that early 80's games had. I say "innocence" because of the kids on the back of the box playing the game. I love that pic the most because it really brings back memories of ads I saw as a child.

Manual

Tank Challenge - Manual

Cartridge (us version) - CBS version is Black

Tank Challenge - Cartridge

Box Front

Tank Challenge - Box front

Box Back - I LOVE this pic. I'm glad these kids, that posed for Tank Challenge, happened to have the same clothes and haircuts from that time. :lol: I even like how they are holding the controller which almost looks like they think the controller disk is a dial, makes it funnier. :) :) :rolling:

Tank Challenge - Box back

CBS Box front

Tank Challenge - CBS box front

CBS Box back

Tank Challenge - CBS box back

• Like 2

Congrats on having your first ColecoVision game published and I hope there will be many more to come. I just received my CIB today with some other new releases and look forward to playing it as well as the others very soon. The team at CollectorVision once again did an incredible job with everything.

Ah, the boys at CollectorVision and their great artists skills got you! The back of the box is inspired by the back of the Omega Race box and actually the boy and woman are holding the controller just like I do and many others have stated they do... although not with the idea to spin the mushroom top (dial), but to move the stick in the way you need.

post-25956-0-17051900-1419912844_thumb.jpg