IGNORED

5200 Flashback?

LynxVGL

If they did a Atari 8-bit flashback... well... I think it would be great to package as a 5200 (since it looks the coolest) but give it the 8 bit ported games and use the regular Atari joystick. :D

Besides most 5200 games have already been ported to the 8-bit anyway.

So you'd have the best look, with the best controller. Done.

Now what to do about keyboard functions? An onboard virtual keyboard? :D

If they did a Atari 8-bit flashback... well... I think it would be great to package as a 5200 (since it looks the coolest) but give it the 8 bit ported games and use the regular Atari joystick. :D

Besides most 5200 games have already been ported to the 8-bit anyway.

So you'd have the best look, with the best controller. Done.

Now what to do about keyboard functions? An onboard virtual keyboard? :D

I have to disagree - the 1200XL was the sexiest 8bit beast in the Atari line :)

• Like 1

If you're talking about one from AtGames, it's not going to happen. You're much more likely to see an Atari Generations type product that has different games from different home systems and the arcade than something based on the Atari 5200. In fact, you're more likely to see an Atari 8-bit Flashback simply because you don't have to mess around with the - let's face it - weird joystick/control issues you'll be presented with with some games (and certainly just XEGS-specific games would require less effort than 5200 stuff and probably provide a similar spectrum of games). The main issue is that outside of the harder core Atari fans, the Atari 5200 and Atari 8-bit lines, much like the 7800, are far less remembered by the target general public. That's obviously due in large part to being overshadowed by the first home videogame cultural icon, the Atari 2600. That's also why systems like the Mattel Intellivision and Coleco ColecoVision were prioritized--there was little to compete with the nostalgic specific to those platforms.

For the forseeable future, i.e., 2015, the only physical products we'll get from AtGames will be the same types of Atari 2600, Intellivision, ColecoVision, and Sega items. It's also possible the Atari Flashback itself will accommodate more arcade authentic games, a la what it has now with Space Invaders, but that's also limited by the one button controller.

In short, if you want an Atari 5200 Flashback-alike, it won't be coming from AtGames, and whoever may do it will be presented with serious challenges both in terms of the controller and getting sufficient games to license. It's probably best as a smaller scale, higher-priced homebrew project that people can put their own games on.

Basically it comes down to markability and it is the 2600 style system case and the Atari Fuji logo that people recognize when buying these flashback units. The Space Invaders game proved that AtGames can put games that are more advanced than the 2600 itself in the unit. So why not just keep the 2600 look and add the 5200/8-bit/arcade games in the unit. I think any controller would work. It doesn't have to be the old joystick. As long as the unit has the 2600 look and the Atari Fuji logo people will buy it. So make the controller look something like the 7800 joypads. Now you have two button.

I really believe it could work. So much so that I stated something very similar back in 2007 when I was hoping for a Flashback 3 based on the Atari 8-bit line:

I originally wanted the FB3 to be a laptop type computer or look like a 5200, but I think you are right. Must people recognize the 2600 (even though they don't know it was called a 2600, they just recognize the shape). When you ask people (outside of AtariAge) what video game system they first had, they will say "an Atari". To most people Atari is the VCS or 2600, but they don't know the systems name they just know it was an Atari. A lot of these people don't even know there was a system after the 2600. That got me thinking, I think the new FB3 should still be based on an 800XL but put in a 2600 vader like unit (see pic). You might think this is odd, but think about it for a minute:

1) The average consumer would recognize the 2600 shape (more sales!)

2) Atari would save mass amounts money getting it made (re-use the molds, retail box with new art & box inserts!)

3) We the atari fans would have a FB that we could mod into a full atari computer!

4) It would be way cool to have chrome buttons (OK that is a stretch, but still)

I think this might work, but then again maybe I'm thinking alittle too much about it. icon_shades.gif

attachicon.gifattachment

post-9874-0-79210500-1416424408_thumb.jpg

This is the mock-up I used back in 2007.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Basically it comes down to markability and it is the 2600 style system case and the Atari Fuji logo that people recognize when buying these flashback units. The Space Invaders game proved that AtGames can put games that are more advanced than the 2600 itself in the unit. So why not just keep the 2600 look and add the 5200/8-bit/arcade games in the unit.

That's a very good point. Considering that they're now inserting emulated arcade games into new Atari Flashback models, they've already removed the overall sense of "Atari 2600 authenticity" from the product.

At this point, they might as well start including 5200 and 7800 games in the next revision of the Flashback. That way, they can simultaneously attract the casual Atari players as well as the hardcore devotees.

Like you said, the casual Atari player probably recognizes the "Atari" brand name, a handful of the most popular games, and the general look and feel of the Atari 2600 console itself. These people are not going to mind a few 5200/7800 games added into the mix, as long as the company is not removing their old favorites in the process. On the contrary, they're more likely to welcome the addition of these games, viewing some of them as "alternate" and/or "improved" versions of games they already know and love.

I think any controller would work. It doesn't have to be the old joystick. As long as the unit has the 2600 look and the Atari Fuji logo people will buy it. So make the controller look something like the 7800 joypads. Now you have two button.

This too.

Some of the 5200 games require analog control, which has already been mentioned. If they're only including digital joysticks (such as for a hypothetical 2600/5200/7800 combo unit), then depending on the 5200 games in question, they could either reprogram them for digital control, or (if that's not feasible) remove them from consideration.

These consoles are all about preserving, playing, and enjoying the games themselves. If you absolutely must have 100% pure authenticity to the 5200, then pick up an actual 5200.

Edited by Agent X
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

To get by the marketing problems you don't refer to it as the 5200 Flashback. You simply call it the Super Atari Flashback (harkening back to the fact that the 5200 was called the SuperSystem).

As to the drought of games... you have to realize that it would irresponsible to ignore the hardware commonalities with the 8-Bit line. Therefore I would design something similar to the way that the 7800 worked; you would have something that was basically an XEGS, but with the 5200 controller bus (don't panic, I'll come back to that) along with a chip which contained the 5200 BIOS.

That way you could pool the 8-Bit and 5200 libraries and get the best set of games possible. We would use the 5200 controller because it would have the keypad, which would alllow us to map keyboard functions to it. (Naturally the 5200 controller would have to be redesigned, or at least use the same design as the unreleased self-centering models which had hard plastic buttons).

As for games...

MUST HAVE

Pac-Man (5200 version), Galaxian, Jr. Pac-Man, Berzerk, Star Raiders (5200 version), Tempest, Centipede, Pitfall!, Space Invaders

NICE TO HAVE

Pole Position, Ms. Pac-Man, HERO, Dark Chambers (XEGS), Ballblazer, Rescue on Fractalus, Caverns of Mars, Miner 2049, Asteroids, Space Dugeon

Naturally you'd have to get Namco's OK, and even then they'd probably never let you release Jr. Pac-Man.

Re: brand name recognition.

I just got a Flashback 5 this weekend, and had an interesting conversation with the clerk in the video games section of Toys R Us. He mentioned that they'd had trouble keeping the Atari Flashback 5 in stock, even though they ordered twice as many at the beginning of the holiday season. When I went there (on 1/17) there was only one left. He mentioned that they barely sold any of the other Flashbacks, and they hadn't even had to restock those. What's shocking is that the Atari far outsold the GENESIS FLASHBACK, which I thought would've been a slamdunk. I just checked the sales ranks on Amazon, and this back up what the clerk told me.

So maybe having a slightly more expensive prestige version, based around the Atari 8-bit line, would be the second act that At Games is looking for.

(Has it occurred to anyone else that we're basically have the same discussion that the Atari execs were having back in 1981 or so?)

Not surprised it outsold the Genesis. First of all, you can still find used Genesis consoles at most local used game stores relatively cheap. Second of all, the Retron 5 pretty much eliminates the need for a Genesis FB unless you don't already have the games. Third of all, the Flashback brand is riding on the nostalgia factor. Right now, it's the over 40+ demographic that are buying the Atari FB out of nostalgia from their childhood. It's far more convenient to buy a compact version of the old Atari 2600 pre-loaded with all the games than but some dusty used 40 year old console in good working condition with stacks and stacks of old game carts. Genesis FB is a little premature. Once the generation that were kids when the Genesis first hit start hitting that mid-life age bracket they will be more nostalgic for it. I'd say the Genesis is a few years too soon. We haven't seen (and probably never will) an 8-bit NES FB but even that is kind of moot when you can play them all on the Retron.

I would love a 5200 FB because it was the "flagship" model of all of the Atari home consoles. It was THE arcade-at-home game console. It is even superior to the 7800, imo. I always consider the 5200 to be one of the elite gaming systems of the 80's. I would love to see a FB duplicate it's sleek, elegant design and the CX-52 style controllers with the touchpad. Sadly, I'll probably have to keep my 30+ year old 5200 console in good working condition for the rest of my life. If I can get another 30+ years out of it, either I'll die first or it will. I wouldn't be surprised though if it outlives me.

Don't jump to conclusions about the success or lack thereof of the Genesis-based console and handheld. That and the Atari unit have sold extremely well and are easily AtGames' two most popular platforms.

Thank you Bill!

As always you are a great and positive source of information!

If it were made, I don't think it would have an analog joystick. All the built in games would probably be converted to use digital. OR they can just use slightly modified 400/800 games for it. :)

The joystick would probably be smaller and simplified as well.

Reason being is because it's probably cheaper for them to make digital components, otherwise I'd love for them to use this opportunity to improve on the analog stick. This way we can also use it for the real 5200. :) Two birds, one stone.

If it were made, I don't think it would have an analog joystick. All the built in games would probably be converted to use digital. OR they can just use slightly modified 400/800 games for it. :)

The joystick would probably be smaller and simplified as well.

Reason being is because it's probably cheaper for them to make digital components, otherwise I'd love for them to use this opportunity to improve on the analog stick. This way we can also use it for the real 5200. :) Two birds, one stone.

And hopefully, they'd use clicky buttons on the side and keypad, instead of the mushy buttons that you get even with a re-built 5200 controller. As many people as there are on here that do all manner of mods, I'm surprised someone hasn't made a homemade 5200 joystick controller. Maybe it'd be possible to use an analog stick from an old PS1 or PS2 controller?