IGNORED

RGB - a game for the ABBUC Software Contest 2014

pseudografx

Hi everyone,

Let me introduce our game for the annual ABBUC Software Contest 2014.

post-6830-0-56088700-1409518766_thumb.png post-6830-0-95354200-1409518771_thumb.png post-6830-0-12316100-1409518781_thumb.png

Objective
Your task is to eliminate all robots in a level by deactivating their RGB components. To deactivate a component, shoot at the robot with a missile that has the colour you want to deactivate. For example, to deactivate a red robot, shoot at him with a red missile; to deactivate a cyan robot, shoot at him with a blue missile and than a green missile (or vice versa); to deactivate a white robot, shoot at him with red, green and blue missiles consecutively in any order. You can change your missiles' colour at the recalibrators or by picking up certain bonuses. There are 8 levels in the game with increasing width and complexity, including the single-screen introductory level 0. When you run out of energy, the game is over.

Requirements
A stock Atari 8-bit computer with 64 KBytes of RAM and a joystick. Tested on PAL 800XL/XE models. Not fully tested on NTSC.

Authors
Code and game concept by MaPa
Ingame visuals, level design, music, sound effects and documentation by PG
Additional graphics (title screen, etc.) and font by Ooz
Betatesting by Fandal, Matosimi and therealbountybob. Thank you!

Youtube:

Edited by pseudografx
  • Like 30

Great C64 screenshot - when's the Atari version out ;)

seriously though - that's some mighty fine use of colour. It looks like you got the C64s freedom of colour placement with the subtleties of the Atari palette and it works out really nicely.

Like the music too

Edited by sack-c0s
  • Like 3

seriously though - that's some mighty fine use of colour

Hmm not take it seriously but I had to like Sack's comment, that's a joke but in the ABBUC thread Popmilo already said it. But what I think it's that he really is a little bit jealous ;) !...

Yes, if there wasn't other colours that aren't in the C64 pallete the gray stuff remember of C64. But the dark gray maybe is the only one because others are lots of colours.

Sack there's not way to do that nor C64 can't do that using colourmap, remember ;) ? And it can't also have the player and enemys anyway like it using C64 hardware sprites :grin: !...

But I think you guys did a great job and that might be a way to get other platform games into A8.

On the other hand the large text letters and that beautifull logo and the other screen are really outstanding like your pictures are always and again there's no way to do that on a C64 :) !

:thumbsup:

Edited by José Pereira

I think it could be done - but you'd lose the more subtle colour usage. I think the Atari wins this round.

Regardless of the technical stuff it also looks like there's a nice, solid playable game built around it too - which is the most important thing in the end. Looking forward to having that on my SIO2SD.

(Oh - and ignore the multiple edits - they're all spelling and stuff because I'm full of cold and typing in a Lemsip-fuelled haze today...)

Edited by sack-c0s

seriously though - that's some mighty fine use of colour. It looks like you got the C64s freedom of colour placement with the subtleties of the Atari palette and it works out really nicely.

Like the music too

Then you might be surprised that the ingame tunes (there is a 4ch title tune, four 2ch ingame tunes, one 4ch congratulations tune and two short 4ch jingles) actually only use 2 channels. The other 2 are used for sfx. A side effect is that the tunes have a lower memory footprint - all the tunes and sfx occupy just a little over 6 KB.

Edited by pseudografx
  • Like 1

It looks so awesome

Like the music too

It looks like you got the C64s freedom of colour placement with the subtleties of the Atari palette and it works out really nicely.

When you know it is an Atari game and look for 5 secfonds you see rather quickly that the colors change per char-line.

However, it seem to be two colors which are changed so it is not so abvious when they aren't changed in the pattern.

And it looks a bit forced, as some object which represent the same thing have different colors.

BUT, you find these things onyl when you really want to find something negative :)

I really like the whole package, as in titlescreen, gameover screen and so on. That is REALLY cool.

If it plays good (we will see soon) its the game of the year :)

The richness of the red, green, and blue colors in the MPG splash and the game title screen are positively deluxe. The game itself looks incredible. Such amazing use of screen space. Cropping and smooth scrolling give the illusion of so much more on-screen than there already is. Delightful graphic design and the game-play appears to be challenging as well. I am looking forward to this one.

I think I might have to become a paid member of ABBUC and offer material support for this annual competition. Year after year it gifts me with fantastic new games to play on the platform I love most. In fact, I wish more of these games found their way into commercial-quality packaging, so I could buy them and place them in the collection bookcase with the rest of my classic favorites.

• Like 5

I think I might have to become a paid member of ABBUC and offer material support for this annual competition. Year after year it gifts me...

To be honest, even if you don't read German then I think that it is worth doing. You will be getting their official disks and an official copy of their magazine.

You can play the disks and the magazine can be kept as a collectors item.

There is a podcast which I enjoy which I donate money to every other month. I give them the price of a beer as the amount that it gives me compared to what I am paying, it is worth it. I get my name mentioned in the podcast too. They only need about £30 a month to run, so my donation gives them around 10% of their costs when I donate. Considering that there are thousands of listeners, I consider that more than fair.

You can think of ABBUC like that, the cost of a beer (or whichever low cost thing that you enjoy from time to time).

PG and MaPa... well... done... :)

PG you did some animations? ;)

Well, just a few, and some of the enemy animations were even done by MaPa (especially the tracks of some enemies). I only did the spider and ball/thing animation together with explosions, which were generated by Explogen (btw. if you ever want to do an explosion in your game, use Explogen, it's a nice little tool!).

Oh! This also looks great. I'm curious whether I'm going to like the game, but till now every MPG Production game is high in my top 10 list. The GFX and MSX is superb again. Great!

It's getting great this year. Incredible... 2014... If you told me, somewhere in 1988 or so, that in 2014 people would still produce and release such high quality games for Atari 8bit, I would have laughed in your face!

Thanks to all the people who keep this little computer alive. Without (new) games the platform will lose interest eventually, but with all this ... you have no idea how I appreciate it!

• Like 1

If you told me, somewhere in 1988 or so, that in 2014 people would still produce and release such high quality games for Atari 8bit,

... I would have thought that this was normal (at the time).

I remember when my local shops stopped selling Atari tapes, my whole world fell in and I felt really empty. My parents couldn't afford an Amiga or anything else for me, I would have an Atari until I became an adult.

I didn't see this as a natural progression of everything, I just didn't realise that the market would stop.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Strange that there a no posts anymore in this topic. I am a huge fan of this excellent new a8 game.

I only have on feature request.

Could you add some kind of 'passwords' to the completed levels? Now I have to start to level 0 every time I restart the game.

Besides that, I love this game.

• Like 1