IGNORED

RGB - a game for the ABBUC Software Contest 2014

pseudografx

What was the the inspiration behind the game, was it an original idea?

Yes, it was my original idea. But just the red green blue mechanic not whole game as it is in RGB. I had different idea about the game. I thought about some story around the colors and wanted to be it a game with more stages (space shooter, then patformer and possibly boss fight). The idea was born like 2 years ago but never get realized till this year in form of RGB. But it's somewhat different game and the detailed game mechanics was developed simultaneously with the code.

• Like 3

Yes, it was my original idea. But just the red green blue mechanic not whole game as it is in RGB. I had different idea about the game. I thought about some story around the colors and wanted to be it a game with more stages (space shooter, then patformer and possibly boss fight). The idea was born like 2 years ago but never get realized till this year in form of RGB. But it's somewhat different game and the detailed game mechanics was developed simultaneously with the code.

all the better :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I guess you (or anyone) could still use the colour changing idea for a space shooter too one day: fly around get colour weapon find same coloured alien / obstacle etc :)

Thanks for the kind words in your review... it was pleasure to hear them :) Just one question..after level 0 you said that there is level 1 but you were playing level 2 (as shown in middle of status bar). I hope you just cut level 1 part from recording and that there was not a bug skipping one level (as the zoomed part at the end is from level 1 so you were there :) ).

Awesome video! Like it. I should think about creating such explanational videos before the voting ends (instead of the short video for the meeting). Would take lots of time, but might help to get better results for games that are not so easy to understand like Ramp Rage for example, which I like very much.

• Like 1

Awesome video! Like it. I should think about creating such explanational videos before the voting ends (instead of the short video for the meeting). Would take lots of time, but might help to get better results for games that are not so easy to understand like Ramp Rage for example, which I like very much.

Well,

we already had videos for the contest when Bunsen was head of the software ressort (videos were even mentioned in the rules). Atarians then judged the programs only by watching the video at the Abbuc meeting. Most of them did not test the programs themselves. Some other problems that did arise from such videos were: a) length of a video: even when we set a max. length for the video, some did not care so we had to shorten it (and of course the producers then were upset), b) presentation of the video: some Atarians are true comedians or professional directors when presenting their stuff, some are more into presenting good videos (with commercial music or funny film clips or comedian comments) than presenting their own A8 program, but in the end Atarians gave more points for a program thanks to the video (e.g. something like "the program is shit, but the video was so funny, I give it 9 points")...

So, it was decided then, not to present any videos at the annual meeting anymore. The users should instead test the programs themselves. Of course there were (and still are) booths where one could (and still can) test the programs, ask questions, get help if something is unclear, etc. I personally would not go back presenting videos at the annual Abbuc meeting, because then we would have these situations again, where A8 programs are only judged by their videos... (but as always, this is only my personal/subjective opinion).

Maybe this will change if instead of the authors only one person (e.g. the head of the software ressort) creates the videos, but I am quite sure the authors (and maybe also the audience) then will find other reasons why the video presentation was not 100% fair (e.g. in program xyz there was a good/funny joke, that was not seen in the other programs, this incluenced the audience; or when testing/presenting program xyz the player made several mistakes, got killed several times, made Error 130/138/139/144/170/... appear or anything else which he did not do in the other programs, this influenced the audience, etc. etc.)

• Like 3

Thanks for the kind words in your review... it was pleasure to hear them :) Just one question..after level 0 you said that there is level 1 but you were playing level 2 (as shown in middle of status bar). I hope you just cut level 1 part from recording and that there was not a bug skipping one level (as the zoomed part at the end is from level 1 so you were there :) ).

Apologies. I may have skipped to level 1 in the edit. I had quite a few attempts at level 1 and ended up with quite a lot of footage. I must have just skipped over it in the edit. Hopefully it doesn't detract from the point of the review which is to say that it's a quite superb game.

Also I didn't show the later levels as I usually would as I wanted to avoid spoiling the game for myself. A bit of cheating to get to later levels in games I've known for 25 years isn't a big deal. But with a new game I want to play it through myself.

I perfectly know what happened when the authors created their own videos, I´m not in ABBUC since yesterday. ;)

You can continue dreaming about all users test all the entries on their own. This simply will not happen. If it would, we wouldn´t have this discussion. But the last two years I, as head of software ressort, prepared videos and they were well accepted. This year I did no voice dub, which kind of complicated as live talking might lead to unfairness regarding the amount of things you mention, personal favor etc. Of course that video presentation shall never replace the real testing, this is why I limited myself to 90 seconds per game.

But what you write about the authors creating videos is also true for the authors writing instructions for the games. Actually, there are several members who even do not read the documentation. See Dimo´s Quest. On page 31 it is clearly written, when you have to insert the Level Disk. But several members - here and at the ABBUC forums - complained about Dimo´s Quest not working. Which showed, that they just did not read the manual. This is what I want to control with short explanational videos. Not 8 minutes long of course, but at least in the technical quality that chinnyhill10 presented here.

. But several members - here and at the ABBUC forums - complained about Dimo´s Quest not working. Which showed, that they just did not read the manual.

It also can mean, that some "30" Years old Joystick has a contacting problem. You press the firebutton, using autofire, and the game loads into the title, where it autmatically drops into the weird screen. No "blinking" turn disk , just drop into garbage.

Checking all games takes a while, so it was better to ask in the forums.

Just came to within a missed jump of finishing Level 7 - crap!

It's much a case of deciding if to risk collisions and skipping ahead to take care of enemies with the current colour, or using energy anyway to change colour.

Of course I inadvertantly always seem to fall a couple of times in these later levels which screws you over regardless.

• Like 1

Had a lockup issue yesterday - stage 7 early on, just jumped a second time and everything halted. Quick check in debug showed it hit BRK at PC=0000 (I have stop on BRK disabled).

That was only one issue of 2 during probably 10 hours overally gameplay - other issue is savestates don't resume properly in Altirra 2.40.

A suggestion or 2 for improvement - sort of annoying having only Level 0 available initially. A level code system to unlock would be good (I know the Ctrl-L thing works just as well, albeit a bit slower).

Savestat works for me in Altirra 2.60 test13 which I have here. At least it works to mee as I don't see any problem.

The lockup is strange, never had that issue and you are the first one reporting it. Was it clean run of the game and not from savestate which does not work well for you?

I don't think any of the savestates I created work - almost certainly some emulator issue there.

Pretty sure the lockup issue was by loading the game then using Ctrl-L to skip levels. Can't remember if it was first time at that level or subsequent restart.

The emulator config was with Basic enabled, REV02 XL Rom, shouldn't be any other features enabled other than host H: device.

Time to update Altirra for me I think, at the least in the hope of state files working properly.