IGNORED

Xbox One - The System That Grows

mipaol

I've been doing a bit of research lately deciding on whether to get an XB1 or a PS4 and I've noticed several sources mention that the Xbox One will support DirectX 12 which will improve the graphic capabilities of the Xbox One and also the Xbox One will take advantage of cloud processing to increase the power of the console over time.

I find it strange that when I see people talking about the Xbox One nobody seems to mention these things, the ability of a video game console to adopt a completely new version of the DirectX API to improve it's graphical capabilities beyond their current state seems pretty awesome in itself, but throw in the ability to offload some of the work to cloud servers thus scaling the overall power of the console over time and you have something that I would think would be talked about a lot more than it seems to be.

All of which will be completely awful when they eventually move on and kill the servers.

Ah another Doomsday prophet, this time no doubt brought on by Microsofts awful track record with network reliability and availability.

(Yes that was extreme sarcasm so please read it super drawn out and emphasis the words "doubt" and "awful" .)

Seriously do you need two hands to count the times in the last 7 years the entire Live network has crashed?

Silly.

Ah another Doomsday prophet, this time no doubt brought on by Microsofts awful track record with network reliability and availability.

(Yes that was extreme sarcasm so please read it super drawn out and emphasis the words "doubt" and "awful" .)

Seriously do you need two hands to count the times in the last 7 years the entire Live network has crashed?

Silly.

I agree with you, but I thought he was referring to the original Xbox's Live servers being cut. All that DLC and such is gone and lost to history.

• Like 1

I agree with you, but I thought he was referring to the original Xbox's Live servers being cut. All that DLC and such is gone and lost to history.

Agreed. I have numerous games at this point which are rendered "unplayable" due to servers which were cut off. The more we see the consoles move in this direction…the more we are going to see of games which end up "lost to history". Sadly, it looks like all console gaming is heading this way...

• Like 5

Except in this case what they're talking about isn't offering content but additional system resources via cloud computing and a new DirectX API which in theory could make the Xbox One more powerful than the PS4 since I haven't seen anything about Sony offering similar functionality for their console. That was the point I was trying to make, the idea of a console that can "grow" and increase in power over time seems unprecedented (except for maybe the Sega Genesis addons) and like something I'd think people would be talking about more.

• Like 1

Agreed. I have numerous games at this point which are rendered "unplayable" due to servers which were cut off. The more we see the consoles move in this direction…the more we are going to see of games which end up "lost to history". Sadly, it looks like all console gaming is heading this way...

This is why I support hackers and emulation. Companies like Microsoft could care less if this stuff is forever lost. If there's not a dime to be made, what do they care.

Thankfully some DLC from the original Live exists because of hacking, like the DLC for SW Battlefront II. I.... don't know how to install it, haha, but it's there. :)

• Like 2

Ah reading it that way I get it. Another modern day game hater. Nice. At least AA is focused on retro games for the most part, so I suppose that makes sense.

Companies like Microsoft could care less if this stuff is forever lost.

You forgot to mention most gamers. AA members are an anomaly, many people here seem to forget that. Majority of people eventual outgrow games altogether at some point in their lives.

They often will (if you can believe this) GIVE or THROW AWAY their games and system!!! Others only care to play the latest and greatest, and they honestly don't care if the $9.99 DLC they bought a decade ago is still functioning.

Some people have it in their heads they are any current generation video game manufacturing companies target audience. I'm thinking they aren't. It's a billion dollar industry. Something being done right even if not everyone agrees with all practice or policies, millions of gamer are happy or the industry would cease to exist plain and simple. All the hate seems unproductive, as you pointed out, it's not like there isn't a billion other game/entertainment option these days and although many are ethically questionable, you neglected to mention there are plenty of legit ways to obtain great games as well. Enjoy all the options I say. Why would people bother stressing over things they don't like in lei of that?

Except in this case what they're talking about isn't offering content but additional system resources via cloud computing

So what happens when the cloud services are shut down years from now? Do the games continue to operate but run like ass, or do they cease to work all together?

To be honest, to have a system need this functionality to me means they didn't build a good enough box to begin with.

You forgot to mention most gamers. AA members are an anomaly, many people here seem to forget that. Majority of people eventual outgrow games altogether at some point in their lives.

They often will (if you can believe this) GIVE or THROW AWAY their games and system!!! Others only care to play the latest and greatest, and they honestly don't care if the $9.99 DLC they bought a decade ago is still functioning.

This is true, and we at AtariAge are definitely in the minority so we need to keep our bitching in check, haha.

Still, it will be a shame if similar communities like ours aren't able to exist and thrive in the same manner decades down the road due to much of the content being lost to history. That said, I don't think we have as much to worry about now. I'd probably worry more worried about future generations that are 100% digital-download or cloud-based.

• Like 2

The future is determined by what people are willing to purchase... as shown by the proposed xbone online check-in drm. If enough people are worried about buying games that require check-in, cloud processing, or any other expiration date technology then the console won't sell. At this point, the PS4 is outselling xbone 2:1 worldwide.

Why buy a system based on vague marketing speak about cloud processing and possible future improvements via DX12 anyway? xbone hardware is technically inferior to PS4... caught with their pants down and they're trying to cover their asses with vague promises for the future. But, there are more logical ways to choose a console ... buy the system with the exclusives that you want to play... or the console that your friends are using for online gaming... or the console that has the lowest price for the system/games... etc.

I think its pretty cool we've reached a point technologically where a video game console is capable of increasing in power over time without the use of hardware addons, the idea of a system that increases in power over time would actually mean a dramatically longer lifespan than previous console generations since developers would no longer be as limited by a console's aging internal hardware.

I guess I'm just more optimistic about this than others, and considering I've seen zero mention of a similar technology coming from Sony who seem more interested in using cloud servers to rent games than offer more console power it gives me the impression that the PS4 is more of a static system where what you see is what you get while the XB1's hardware is more of a foundation that Microsoft will build upon over time.

Oh and the fact an XB1 can now play my 5TB library of movies and tv shows using voice commands is pretty nifty too. :-D

I'm just happy that Halo: The Master Chief Collection and Halo 5: Guardians will have dedicated servers for multiplayer. :grin: :thumbsup:

The hardware specs for the XB1 and PS4 are fairly close, so in the end it comes down who provides the games, value and ecosystem that you like.

As for servers being shut down, that has been an issue as old as online gaming itself. If a game or system is popular enough, fans will usually find a way to play their favorite games. You can't expect a company to support a game forever. The OG Xbox has work-arounds and people still get together on services like XboxConnect and play Halo CE, Halo 2, Project Gotham Racing 2, Crimson Skies, Phantom Dust, etc.

Edited by Major Havoc 2049
  • Like 2

All of which will be completely awful when they eventually move on and kill the servers.

I hate to be a buzzkill, but I agree with this statement completely.

The heavy handed DRM and crappy endurance of the 360 and PS3 lines already had me biased against any successors.

Learning SONY wants to make backward compatibility something we rent from the cloud and hearing MS wants to make the XBOne reliant on the cloud for it's own regular games sounds cool and space saving and all that.

But the reality is much more sinister. They don't want you playing any games old, new, used, etc unless you've paid your lease.

The days of digging your system out of the closet years later to enjoy them all over again appear to be coming to an end.

In it's place you'll find a "this service is no longer available" or "cannot connect to server" error... but all is not lost! They will be more than happy to resell you your old games ported to their latest and greatest platform. :P

Yeah I guess this makes me a modern day games "hater" but I don't care. I like owning my stuff and being able to continue using it for as long as I can keep it going. Not as long as someone else is willing to let me use it.

Edited by dashv
  • Like 2

Ah reading it that way I get it. Another modern day game hater. Nice. At least AA is focused on retro games for the most part, so I suppose that makes sense.

Some people have it in their heads they are any current generation video game manufacturing companies target audience. I'm thinking they aren't. It's a billion dollar industry. Something being done right even if not everyone agrees with all practice or policies, millions of gamer are happy or the industry would cease to exist plain and simple. All the hate seems unproductive, as you pointed out, it's not like there isn't a billion other game/entertainment option these days and although many are ethically questionable, you neglected to mention there are plenty of legit ways to obtain great games as well. Enjoy all the options I say. Why would people bother stressing over things they don't like in lei of that?

The fact that retro gaming is coming back in vogue, the crazy success of the Retron 5, and things like Mario/Duck Hunt now selling for $15 in some shops would seem to indicate that we are not quite the minority we were believed to be.

Even Goodwill is opening up shops exclusively for selling games that get donated to them. So for every group of folks dumping the old stuff there is a healthy market of folks buying it back up.

Edited by dashv

I'm just happy that Halo: The Master Chief Collection and Halo 5: Guardians will have dedicated servers for multiplayer. :grin: :thumbsup:

The hardware specs for the XB1 and PS4 are fairly close, so in the end it comes down who provides the games, value and ecosystem that you like.

As for servers being shut down, that has been an issue as old as online gaming itself. If a game or system is popular enough, fans will usually find a way to play their favorite games. You can't expect a company to support a game forever. The OG Xbox has work-arounds and people still get together on services like XboxConnect and play Halo CE, Halo 2, Project Gotham Racing 2, Crimson Skies, Phantom Dust, etc.

I can live with online multiplayer going away. But it's complete bullshit when an offline game won't play anymore because the DRM server has gone away.

• Like 3

Exactly, the day of buying the license..not the game..is here. As soon as they decide that license is no good, goodbye to every dollar you spent.

I'm thinking this is simply not going to be true. Name me one game that ever existed since the beginning of video games consoles (Magnavox Odyssey 1972) that you can't play right now in one form or another.

I understand this is a new thing. DLC is relatively new so it scares people.

Know now nothing has changed. if you HAVE to play something, and you can't find a legitimate means to to it. There will be ways.

The Xbox 360 has been hacked just like the Xbox One will be hacked, just like the Xbox 720 will be hacked, just like the Xbox TWO will be hacked.

The game data, even though it's DLC, is going to exist. It will be accessible locally and in any one of millions of others places around the world.

You will be able to access the games you love. If you desire online play, smart people (smarter than you can imagine I imagine) will help ease the pain.

They will access that data. They will set up private online networks, for just you and the other 5 people that care. You'll be good, if that's really what's important to you. Why would you even imagine otherwise?

The "video game doomsday prophets" are no different than the people standing on busy city corners in the 1960's with signs proclaiming "The End Is Near"

Don't be a video game doomsday prophet. It's just silly i'm telling you. In the mean time you're just alienating yourself from some really kick ass games.

DX12 wont make a difference IMO (in any major way on a console), your stuck with whatever hardware you purchase. I don't believe any of the 1080P stuff will be "easier" to handle and nothing "evolves" without improving hardware (same goes for PS4). Your only prayer are developers who can work magic with their games in the coming years and that WILL happen so you will see improvements in the games themselves.

I still like playing consoles and I buy them but I'm aware that both consoles are getting dated by the day as equivalent graphics cards are showing up under $500.

As far as the cloud goes, this is what companies want to do from now on, so no choice but to pick and choose what your going to support......or go retro.....or switch to Steam and PC gaming for more stability.

As crappy as Windows 8 may seem you can still play some really old stuff on it and Steam hasn't pulled any of my games in the last 5 years since I joined. They are not really known to pull your copy of Borderlands and unless Windows changes in structure you should be able to play your games down the road. You have GOG to play with too where you can download copies of everything and give them away to friends and torrent them for the world.

Just pick your poison and enjoy some games. It's never been better.

• Like 1

And you do the same being "that other guy"

:thumbsup:

Each of our opinions is worth exactly nothing, so why not eh?

Your opinions (as well as the perspective of the original poster) are certainly valid. Although I state mine openly and unapologetically I certainly don't mean any insult or disrespect to those that feel differently. Edited by dashv
  • Like 1

I think its pretty cool we've reached a point technologically where a video game console is capable of increasing in power over time without the use of hardware addons, the idea of a system that increases in power over time would actually mean a dramatically longer lifespan than previous console generations since developers would no longer be as limited by a console's aging internal hardware.

Yeah... I don't think so. I don't believe this console generation will be as long as the last one. When the 360 and PS3 came out they were cutting edge. Consumer PC hardware caught up to them quickly but they were quite powerful when they came out. That's just not the case this time. I don't want to equate the two completely because the consoles don't need the same resources a PC does. Still they are mid-grade. Microsoft can hone their cloud technology as much as they want they still aren't going to be using it to render high-res graphics in twitch shooters or competitive FPS. Multiplayer game programming is a balancing act of numerous methods dealing with the issue of latency. It is hard enough to keep player positions and states in sync. Delivering high quality graphics from the cloud won't be a cake walk. Microsoft made a critical error in the design of the Xbox One that Sony did not make. They are closing the gap by optimizing their SDK and providing game developers with efficient algorithms but they will not overcome the difference. They are not going to produce a magic 1080p/60 bullet and they know that. That's why they are downplaying the importance of it (which they are correct in doing but this is what a lot of people care about right now.) I think the only thing that could make this console generation as long as the last is if consumer interest plummets by the time the hardware has reached its limit. I think it's a real possibility.

I love consoles from all generations but I think we may be nearing the end of the greatest console generation yet and for the foreseeable future. I think it will be proven by the richness of the game libraries and how well the games will age.

• Like 1

When I have the option I buy the disc version of a game. This way I can always play it no matter what profile I am using.

Last week I purchased a 2nd Xbox One. I also purchased a separate Live account for myself, so that there would be no conflict between my gaming and my sons.

Still, the only way I can play the games we purchased under the profile my son uses is for me to logon my XO with that Live account. So if I want to play Max on mine I have to use the account and if he pops on the other XO to play Battlefield it logs me off.

Lucky all the major games I was patient and purchased the disc version.

BTW- I am simply loving the Xbox One. The quality of the interface, the way it works and most importantly, plays games is just fantastic.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Dlc can be restored on the modded original boxes. Sadly multiplayer gaming is useless unless the game had lan support.

When I have the option I buy the disc version of a game. This way I can always play it no matter what profile I am using.

Last week I purchased a 2nd Xbox One. I also purchased a separate Live account for myself, so that there would be no conflict between my gaming and my sons.

Still, the only way I can play the games we purchased under the profile my son uses is for me to logon my XO with that Live account. So if I want to play Max on mine I have to use the account and if he pops on the other XO to play Battlefield it logs me off.

Lucky all the major games I was patient and purchased the disc version.

BTW- I am simply loving the Xbox One. The quality of the interface, the way it works and most importantly, plays games is just fantastic.

You will be able to use one xbox live subsription with multiple accounts soon!

• Like 1