IGNORED

Fantasy Life for the 3DS-Thoughts

Unbeliever

Well, again I ask the masses here at AtariAge what their thoughts on the upcoming U.S. release of Fantasy Life for the 3DS. I have it pre ordered, since I've been doing heavy reviews of all the articles I can find online for the game since it was announced back at the beginning of the year. Seems to be a "variant" of Animal Crossing (which I already adore), maybe with some Tomodachi Life mixed in somewhere and The Sims sprinkled for good measure. The game is not due out until Mid to late October, and an "expansion pack" will be available from the eShop (for a fee, no less...not sure why they should charge extra for that) roughly at the same time.

There seems to be many game elements mixed in, with tons of side quests available besides the main story line to keep folks busy for awhile. Level-5 Software does some great games, so this looks to be a hit. Is anyone out there in Atari Land getting this game when it's released, or are you skipping it for Smash Bros, or getting both? Do you think Nintendo should charge for the additional content, or include it in the game's release, or perhaps have it as a free download for the game owners? The job system is pretty similar to some well-known Final Fantasy games we are familiar with, but do you believe it will be a pain to keep switching back and forth to achieve certain goals? Combat elements and menial tasks also seem to go hand in hand...will the day to day drudgery of performing tasks bother you, or will you enjoy the diversity of game play?

It seemed rather interesting during E3, watching the NintendpTreehouse folks demonstrate the game. Did anyone watch that particular footage (live or recorded), and if so, did that perk your interest? My only real wish is that if you pre order the game, you'd get the additional content for free, but that's just me. So, feel free to chime in and give me your opinions on this title when it's available next month.

Steve

post-440-0-10353100-1409843068_thumb.jpg

Oh heck yes I am getting this game! Loved the coverage from E3 in the .... tree house? What did they call it? Anyway, Audrey Drake (formerly of IGN) did a lot of good coverage of the demo. Looks like a slightly childish Diablo style game but who cares, there are freakin' dragons in it! I think it looks awesome!

I'll be getting Smash Bros first because ... come on .... Wii Fit Trainer look hilarious ... but when I grow bored of Smash I'll definitely be getting Fantasy Life next, no question. Do I think they can charge for the extra content? Meeehhhh only if it's a major piece of bonus content.

Then again, disclaimer here, I am also the person who paid for DLC costumes for Chun-li on many many many versions of STIV so I may not be a good gauge.

During E3, there was the "Treehouse Live" event or some such thing where they got together and showed off many of Nintendo's new games. That's where I initially saw the coverage for this game. I agree about the dragons...that should make things interesting. The pets that you can get, riding a horse....they seem to have combined quite a big of content into one game.

Since I'm only going to have money for one game, I had to decide on which one of the two (Smash or Fantasy Life) I was going to get. Of course Smash comes out first, and I've already plunked some money down for Fantasy Life...perhaps if all goes well for my birthday I can get both. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We all know that Smash Bros is dominating the 3DS scene at the moment (and I have to say, the demo certainly is encouraging sales at this point), so titles like this one slip by. I've had my eye on it since E3, and pre ordered it a couple of months later. These are really the types of games I enjoy (so you can imagine Animal Crossing: New Leaf gets tons of play time), along with many of the Indie games in the eShop.

I was debating on the very same thing....which game was going to win favor. Fantasy Life won out this time around, so Smash will probably be picked up in December with the Christmas money Mom usually provides every year. :) I'm not very competitive against other people, so I don't have to worry about working on my "Smash" skills to pummel others.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Okay, I'm revitalizing this thread for the moment to comment on Fantasy Life, which arrived in my hands yesterday. I think I continuously played it for about 6 hours yesterday, and yes...it's a good game with lots of content, cute graphics, and wonderful music. Tons to do (sandbox games are just up my alley), lots of classes (or lives) to play, many different items to get, a day/night cycle that brings out different creatures at night, and lots of quests (both main quests and side quests) to accomplish.

This game is a wonderful addition to anyone's 3DS library that likes games along the lines of Animal Crossing. The combat aspects are simplified, but still well done, and the gathering portions of the game can get tedious but you can always go do something else if you're tired of collecting stuff. All in all, another worthy addition to my growing 3DS library and the wait was well worth it for me personally.

Anyone else snatch this game up on it's release day?

Steve