IGNORED

Season 3/ Week 28 ~ The NEW HSC ~ Dragonfire

Vocelli

Capitan Classic,

I dedided to AVOID posting a significant score in this week, enough to finish this season at 8th place. I will drop to Silver Zone and therefore AVOID confront with one of 3 strongest players - Capitan Classic, NCG and S.Baz.

I will try the Silver Medal Tournament for the current season of the NEW 2600 HSC.

Are NCG and OyamaFamily going to sneak in at the last minute with a high score?

I dedided to AVOID posting a significant score in this week, enough to finish this season at 8th place. I will drop to Silver Zone and therefore AVOID confront with one of 3 strongest players - Capitan Classic, NCG and S.Baz.

I will try the Silver Medal Tournament for the current season of the NEW 2600 HSC.

What constitutes placing first in the HSC:Season 3? Do I have to finish with the highest rank, or do i need to win the Gold Bracket challenge?

What constitutes placing first in the HSC:Season 3? Do I have to finish with the highest rank, or do i need to win the Gold Bracket challenge?

Finish with the highest rank.

looks like you did it! Unless at least 7 of us beat your score this week (yeah right), you're still guaranteed 1st place... So I guess I'll be the first to say -- CONGRATULATIONS! :grin:

The bracket tournament is a separate contest to win a medal so each season has a winner, PLUS a Gold, Silver & Bronze medalist.

Dragonfire improvement: 30350

post-34560-0-40897700-1410572959_thumb.jpg

looks like you did it! Unless at least 7 of us beat your score this week (yeah right), you're still guaranteed 1st place... So I guess I'll be the first to say -- CONGRATULATIONS! :grin:

I was trying to figure out if I had a lock on the win.

1. Capitan Classic 1397

2. Northcoastgamer 1384

NCG has to make up 13 points. If he scores 1st, he scores 106. I would have to score less than 94 points to not tie for first. That means I would have to place 5th (1st 106, 2nd 98, 3rd 96, 4th 94, 5th 92). It isn't a complete lock, considering that you and StanJr have been making considerable improvements.

Did some initial calculations for HSC:Season 3. The raw point scores have been converted to z-scores. A z-score is a players normalized score. A z-score of 0 is the average, +1.0 means your score is one standard deviation greater than the average, -1.0 means your score is one standard deviation less than the average. The benefits of using z-scores is that you can average your score across multiple games with wildly different point ranges.

I entered scores of 0 for players that didn't post a score for a game, but that have posted scores for at least 33.3% of the 35 games played this season. This does affect the averages and standard deviation for the games, but prevents a high average z-score by only posting scores in games you are better than average at.

The spreadsheet is below. Permissions should be set for public viewing.
gallery_38581_1110_37196.png
Players have their own charts, and you should be able to hover over your z-score or raw points to display that data point, when you open the file in goggle docs.

Ignore the spreadsheet for now. Edit: It should be working now.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VYdyBv9IUSQLKldH2xNi_CmVQ6vqzc0a8w0h9CpGmMI/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by CapitanClassic
  • Like 4

Capitan Classic,

You don't need to avoid anyone, Oyama. (By the way, dropping to the Silver bracket doesn't do me any favors :-D )

OK, so bring it on! :twisted:

• Like 1

Did some initial calculations for HSC:Season 3. The raw point scores have been converted to z-scores. A z-score is a players normalized score. A z-score of 0 is the average, +1.0 means your score is one standard deviation greater than the average, -1.0 means your score is one standard deviation less than the average. The benefits of using z-scores is that you can average your score across multiple games with wildly different point ranges.

I entered scores of 0 for players that didn't post a score for a game, but that have posted scores for at least 33.3% of the 35 games played this season. This does affect the averages and standard deviation for the games, but prevents a high average z-score by only posting scores in games you are better than average at.

Players have their own charts, and you should be able to hover over your z-score or raw points to display that data point, when you open the file in goggle docs.

Ignore the spreadsheet for now. It isn't displaying correctly.

:-o Are you a statistician by trade?

Thanks for doing all of this work! :thumbsup:

:-o Are you a statistician by trade?

Thanks for doing all of this work! :thumbsup:

No, statistics isn't part of my day job. Did do a bit back in college, and averages/standard deviations is pretty simple stuff.

No problem. I think the link to the document should be working right now. (the charts looked empty before, they now should look like the NCG image posted above).

I still haven't entered in the scores for Dragonfire, so the average z-score for the season isn't correct. Also, z-scores aren't perfect, there are some draw backs. For example, for the timed games Skate Boardin' and Gran Prix, I had to assume that a score of 0 is the lowest score possible. So, for Skate Boardin' I subtracted 5 seconds for each obstacle remaining which leads to a score of 0 even if you could finish with the 5 minutes you are given. For Grand Prix i did something similar. The maximum time allowed is 9 min 59 seconds. So I assumed that time was 0 and based scores on the time remaining. Unfortunately, many people who completed 1/3 of the games for the season didn't post a score for Gran Prix, so they got a 0 score (instead of basing the AVG/STDEV off of only the scores posted, with the slowest time of ~3:05). This lowered the average score, but increased the standard deviation significantly. As a side effect, it seems like NorthCoastGamer's score of 1:41.38 isn't as impressive as it really is (less than +STD, instead of almost +3STD better than average). You can check out the RawDATA sheet if you don't want 0 scores affecting the z-scores.

z-score = 2.753, points are (185 - (60 + 41.38)) * 100) seconds

Points 8362

AVG 3071

STDEV 1922

instead of

z-score = 0.786, points are (600 - (60 + 41.38))

Points 498

AVG 354

STDEV 185

Edited by CapitanClassic
  • Like 1