IGNORED

Atari 800 with Encore Video Productions Info Display System

Savetz

Like I posted earlier, the first sector of the file on that ATR is the only one that has a sector link, the rest of the sectors were saved as raw data.

I copied the data and removed 3 bytes from the sector link data and made this: Encore2.bin

The file that was saved has missing data in the last 786 bytes.

The 1st sector link appears ok. the 2nd sector link is mangled. from then on, it is very difficult to tell the sector link from code as the sector link appears to be a copy of the next 3 bytes in the file Ie the sector link wasn't put in. (looking at the raw data in the atr file with a hex editor). it would appear the this dos cannot write out roms properly.

James

I used DOS 2.0S to do:

Binary Save -> ENCORE2,4000,7FFF

seemed to work but if I try to binary load the file, I get ERROR 164.

You did nothing wrong. Oss did when creating Dos 2.0s. It is a known problem for Dos 2.0S when trying to save *any* data from a ROM area. Dos 2.0s does "burst transfers" when transmitting data from RAM to disk, and for that it inserts the sector link into the last three bytes of the data to be saved - *life* into to the data by first storing the data that occupies the link, then saving the data from the RAM address to disk, then restoring the data. Clearly, this fails if the data to be saved is in ROM.

Thus, Dos 2.0S can only save data from RAM areas with binary-save. Dos 2.5 fixed this by using a dedicated sector buffer (so does Dos 2.++ which is part of Os++, the Atari++ Os). As said, a known bug (one of the...) of 2.0S.

At least you know now that there's a rom in this area..

• Like 1

So, is dumping the EPROMs unnecessary now?

It would seam so. It appears to work for everyone except ilaskey.

What i did was to load the ATR file into a hex editor (winhex) Remove from end of DUP to start. remove what appeared to be the end of dump till end of ATR.

Starting at the end, found the munged sector link and removed it. did same for all the rest of the sector links (took some time to do). removed the 6 byte header and saved and tested it.

I also have dissembled it to have a look.

James

• Like 2

It's a teleprompter

Nope. The author told me:

It's a CCTV Hotel Information system that I originally wrote for Ensign Communications to be used in local Salt Lake City, Utah hotels. It would scroll text from the bottom to the top, and show the current date and time. It was written in 6502C assembly language and had a rudimentary text editor for entering the text that the hotel wanted to scroll. I was probably 18 or 19 years old when I created it and got about $1500 for my work. I never met the co-author which updated the software afterwards. I always wondered what became of the system. Of course, I assume that most systems were replaced by more modern systems that could show pictures and video, scroll text, etc. But, I do remember seeing this system still running in the Red Lion Hotel in downtown Salt Lake City in 1990 or 91, so it did survive for quite a while.

• Like 1