IGNORED

The 2014 Atari 2600 Collectors Hall of Fame vote

nofrills100

All I can say is wow cause anything else I have to say would not be forum friendly in regards to AtariAge founder Albert loosing out to Atarimania's secretary in an AtariAge Hall Of Fame vote. Today I am truly ashamed of the choices of this particular group of peers.

Shame on all of you.

I'm ashamed of you, Shawn, telling other people of this community to be ashamed of theirselves and trying to depict AtariAge and Atarimania as some kind of rivals, which we're clearly not.
We both share the same love for Atari, each in our own unique way, and the votes of fellow Atari fans clearly represent that.
Let bygones be bygones, Shawn, and let's all enjoy this hobby.
8)
  • Like 3

I'm ashamed of you, Shawn, telling other people of this community to be ashamed of theirselves and trying to depict AtariAge and Atarimania as some kind of rivals, which we're clearly not.

We both share the same love for Atari, each in our own unique way, and the votes of fellow Atari fans clearly represent that.

Let bygones be bygones, Shawn, and let's all enjoy this hobby.

8)

I didn't take it that way. I thought they were upset mostly about the collector being picked having more of a digital stockpile than a physical collection. This is after all a collector HOF not a contributor or valued member HOF.

This is after all a collector HOF not a contributor or valued member HOF.

it started out that way, who had the best Atari 2600 game collection (as some say... no box.. NO glory) but along the way somewhere it got hi jacked into an all and everything collection/contributor/valued member... pretty much anything goings now.

Rick

it started out that way, who had the best Atari 2600 game collection (as some say... no box.. NO glory) but along the way somewhere it got hi jacked into an all and everything collection/contributor/valued member... pretty much anything goings now.

Rick

So then in theory someone who doesn't own a single game cart could be selected to the Collectors HOF for say his popularity or his writing skills alone?

Well then no wonder people are upset.

Perhaps a group of candidates should be pre-selected based on merit and/or a separate category for those people who are worthy of praise but not based the size of their physical collections would be more appropriate?

• Like 4

So then in theory someone who doesn't own a single game cart could be selected to the Collectors HOF for say his popularity or his writing skills alone?

Perhaps a group of candidates should be pre-selected based on merit and/or a separate category for those people who are worthy of praise but not based the size of their physical collections would be more appropriate?

I'm pretty sure RomHunter does NOT own a single game cart (besides a Harmony) so not in theory, in reality ;)

I voted for him too (honestly I didn't think he would actually win, was more of just a "atta boy" for being so dedicated to whatever it is he does, I have only been to atarimania a few times, lol)

I don't know though, I look back at when I joined and think about how many serious collectors are still around and the numbers have dropped man, running out of options, lol

I happen to see it this way as well. I value ROM and his efforts greatly. Without his hard work and "collection" I would be lost on some of the rare PAL stuff I have come across. There is no doubt he is all the things that I am in a collector (passionate,obsessed,dedicated,meticulous, and organized).

I happen to agree that the winner should have a physical collection and voted this way. It doesn't change the fact that ROM has put a TON of his time into this hobby and by all means deserves to be recognized for doing so.

In the end he received the most votes and won. Whether I agree or not, he deserves to be recognized for all his efforts!

Thanks ROM

Edited by atari181
  • Like 1

If people want it to be more 'physical collection' based - then it is simple - post some pictures of your f#%king collection!

It's all great having a massive collection that you and a few of your hardcore collector mates know about, but unless people start posting pics the greater community is never going to vote them in.

Atari181 is a prime example of this. If some of these purported massive collectors were to post at the least a gaming room shot, or pics of their most prized stuff then they would be in like flinn.

This is after all a community of like minded passionate collectors - people shouldn't let modesty or greed get in the way of sharing their collections.

• Like 1

If some of these purported massive collectors were to post at the least a gaming room shot, or pics of their most prized stuff then they would be in like flinn.

This is after all a community of like minded passionate collectors - people shouldn't let modesty or greed get in the way of sharing their collections.

I will let bennybingo share his thoughts on that, since we just had a private discussion about that very subject.

• Like 1

If people want it to be more 'physical collection' based - then it is simple - post some pictures of your f#%king collection!

It's all great having a massive collection that you and a few of your hardcore collector mates know about, but unless people start posting pics the greater community is never going to vote them in.

Atari181 is a prime example of this. If some of these purported massive collectors were to post at the least a gaming room shot, or pics of their most prized stuff then they would be in like flinn.

I therefore apologize for being so modest :grin: LOL

I will let bennybingo share his thoughts on that, since we just had a private discussion about that very subject.

My 2 cents...

In the current state of the internet, being the thieving/lying/con-man filled cesspool that it is, I am not surprised that most people don't want to post pics of their collections. It is an open invitation to get robbed. This might sound a bit paranoid or far-fetched, but here are the major points to be considered:

1.) in order to have a large collection, you need to be buying and selling to a large number of people on a regular basis. Craigslist, eBay and game forums...the transaction volume can be staggering.

2.) any one of these transactions can be a ploy to get a hold of your mailing address.

3.) pictures posted on a video game forum = shopping list for criminals.

Say what you will...I don't have the largest collection on record by any means, but I certainly don't want to go advertising ANY of the contents of my house. A heroin addict would happily take whatever he could...drawing them a map, along with an inventory sheet just makes the job that much easier for them...not to mention, it sends them a message that it might just be worth the risk. That's why I don't post pictures of my things. Please note: I don't think that I would ever even be in the running for this kind of Hall Of Fame thing...I just don't want the wrong people coveting my personal belongings. It's an anonymous internet forum...that pretty much sums it up for me.

• Like 2

As a point to note - even from the first Hall of Fame vote in 2006 there was discussion regarding physical collections v's important contributions to collecting. And these quotes are from the 2nd Hall of Fame vote in 2007:

Is this a vote for who has the best collection or people that have contributed in some shape or form to the Atari community? I love how we are always voting on peoples collections that we have for the most part never even seen.

This is a vote for both icon_smile.gif

So the lines have always been blurry - but ultimately it's a democracy right - if there are enough people voting for someone then enough said - that person has obviously contributed a massive amount.

Actually having just gone back and read all the early Hall of Fame threads - they are quite entertaining.

Edited by nofrills100

I voted for Rom because he totally deserves it after 10 years of tedious work. He is the one who preserves all the scans and dumps and shares it publically. Without him there wouldn't be someone going to all threads and building a library such as Atarimania.

As of now there is only the category "collector", so we could add a new category for him. The rock and roll hall of fame also has categories for songwriters and producers.

Just rename it to "AtariAge hall of fame" and then put the category collector / contributor / programmer etc. behind the name.

• Like 3

8)

You saying you are ashamed of me is something I take as a badge of honor because the further apart we stand the better. I was not pitting or even comparing AA to AM in any shape or form. I was directly comparing YOU to ALBERT and both of your merits. Nothing more, nothing less.

As of now there is only the category "collector", so we could add a new category for him. The rock and roll hall of fame also has categories for songwriters and producers.

Just rename it to "AtariAge hall of fame" and then put the category collector / contributor / programmer etc. behind the name.

This is a great idea! :thumbsup:

This is a great idea! :thumbsup:

The baseball HOF consists mostly of players but managers, pioneers and executives are also members but it is noted. If a non-collector is added to the collector HOF then it should be noted. This doesn't take away from the distinction.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_members_of_the_Baseball_Hall_of_Fame

Still some framework or criteria should be added here. Without any guidelines then Nolan Bushnell should be the 1st one voted in. Or what if people vote for Pifall Harry (the character not the member) as a joke then does he become a member as well?

The main reason people do not post pics of collections is they are simply not presentable or finished. It's always in a half way state meaning most of it is sitting in boxes or storage containers/etc.. It's just waiting for that room or shelf that never gets finished because buying is easy, making it presentable takes real time that you can't just do while your sitting at work, and pretty much never happens for the average super collector. It's easy to display 50 games but 1000 games takes a lot of work and creativity to make it look nice.

Random crack heads seeing pics of your collection online and plotting a master jewel thief style robbery :grin: Highly doubtful, sounds like Homerwannabee syndrome (remember when he used keep his Atlantis 2 locked in a bank vault, ah... I miss that guy)

"Heroin addicts" are going to smash your window, blow right past your Atari and empty your sock drawer, grab your PS4 stuff/blurays and head to the nearest pawn shop, they will be in and out in 10 minutes. Anyone that steals your Atari collection will be well connected to this scene, highly intelligent to actually pull it off and they do not need pics, people already know who the heavy hitters are ;) It would be an inside job, and would be very easy to catch them as you would leave a massive trail when trying to sell it, which is probably why it's never been done since lets face it, there are probably a few thieves hanging around the scene...

• Like 1

The main reason people do not post pics of collections is they are simply not presentable or finished. It's always in a half way state meaning most of it is sitting in boxes or storage containers/etc.. It's just waiting for that room or shelf that never gets finished because buying is easy, making it presentable takes real time that you can't just do while your sitting at work, and pretty much never happens for the average super collector. It's easy to display 50 games but 1000 games takes a lot of work and creativity to make it look nice.

This. Plus, if you are living in a major city, space is freakin' expensive. Having a small extra game room will cost you easily $50,000.

It would be an inside job, and would be very easy to catch them as you would leave a massive trail when trying to sell it, which is probably why it's never been done since lets face it, there are probably a few thieves hanging around the scene...

Exactly. You can steal the Mona Lisa, but you can not show if to anyone nor sell it.

• Like 1

Random crack heads seeing pics of your collection online and plotting a master jewel thief style robbery :grin: Highly doubtful, sounds like Homerwannabee syndrome (remember when he used keep his Atlantis 2 locked in a bank vault, ah... I miss that guy)

"Heroin addicts" are going to smash your window, blow right past your Atari and empty your sock drawer, grab your PS4 stuff/blurays and head to the nearest pawn shop, they will be in and out in 10 minutes. Anyone that steals your Atari collection will be well connected to this scene, highly intelligent to actually pull it off and they do not need pics, people already know who the heavy hitters are ;) It would be an inside job, and would be very easy to catch them as you would leave a massive trail when trying to sell it, which is probably why it's never been done since lets face it, there are probably a few thieves hanging around the scene...

I don't discount the fact that exactly what Ben said can happen. I would hope not, but it is definitely feasable. I understand some having reservations. Exactly as you said CC, my house was broken into in the last few years, the dipshit stole a gun and some iPod stuff. He never touched my Atari stuff, which is by far the most valuable(dollar wise) in the house.

• Like 1

I don't discount the fact that exactly what Ben said can happen. I would hope not, but it is definitely feasable. I understand some having reservations. Exactly as you said CC, my house was broken into in the last few years, the dipshit stole a gun and some iPod stuff. He never touched my Atari stuff, which is by far the most valuable(dollar wise) in the house.

It has happened time and again in the action figure world. Totally inside jobs for sure as the thieves knew what to look for, most of what they knew to look for though came from pictures and stories from online forums.

• Like 1

Criminals use Facebook all the time to case houses…I can't see how this would be any different. Not only do you end up showing what you currently own, but you also show them where all the most prized goodies actually sit on any given shelf….that includes your PS4.

I avoid posting my name, picture or any personal data on the web (like most people), as it can be used by criminals in a countless number of ways to steal what is mine…it seems like it would be just as dangerous to post a catalog of my home inventory along with photos. I know it sounds far fetched, but sadly it is not.

Criminals use Facebook all the time to case housesI can't see how this would be any different. Not only do you end up showing what you currently own, but you also show them where all the most prized goodies actually sit on any given shelf.that includes your PS4.

I avoid posting my name, picture or any personal data on the web (like most people), as it can be used by criminals in a countless number of ways to steal what is mineit seems like it would be just as dangerous to post a catalog of my home inventory along with photos. I know it sounds far fetched, but sadly it is not.

Valid points all Benny but I'm just disappointed you didn't vote for me.....wait, this isnt the Inty forums! :)

• Like 2