The 2014 Atari 2600 Collectors Hall of Fame vote

nofrills100

Okay, how about we rename it more broadly the 'Atari 2600 Hall of Fame'

And then distinguish the inductees like so:

Here are the list of former inductees.

Marco 2006 (Collector)

CPUWIZ 2007 (Collector)

Rick Weis 2008 (Collector)

Iwan-Iwanowitsh-goratshin 2009 (Collector)

Wonder007 2010 (Collector)

Marc Oberhauser 2011 (Collector)

Dino 2012 (Collector)

Atari181 2013 (Collector)

Rom Hunter 2014 (Contributor)

Or Rom Hunter 2014 (Archivalist). ?

The top collectors know who the other top collectors are. Simply put it is their business to know what others may not. Pictures or not, if you seek the top remaining Atari collectors all you have to do is ask the existing members of the HOF for a selection of 5 or so and they will provide it.

Then you can have the vote take place from this existing group. Not all collectors are active members on Atariage and thus wouldn't fair well in a public vote but the opinions of existing members should be voiced prior to the vote every year and should carry a greater weight.

The top collectors know who the other top collectors are. Simply put it is their business to know what others may not. Pictures or not, if you seek the top remaining Atari collectors all you have to do is ask the existing members of the HOF for a selection of 5 or so and they will provide it.

Then you can have the vote take place from this existing group. Not all collectors are active members on Atariage and thus wouldn't fair well in a public vote but the opinions of existing members should be voiced prior to the vote every year and should carry a greater weight.

Man that takes the fun right out of it.

An elite group selects a handful of their trading mates, then they vote again on the best collection among them. Meanwhile the rest of us a) don't get a say, and b) still don't get to see or even hear about what their collection encompasses.

The hall of fame should be entirely democratic - as it has been up until this point.

Just because this year had a controversial winner, doesn't mean it needs to be handed over to a small group of so called authorities.

IMO if people can't bring themselves to share their collection - for what ever reason, paranoia, or discretion, it's their decision - it is a bit like a great politician with no campaign or the fastest sprinter who runs no races - they arent really in the running.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry that I am extremely late responding to this thread. My administrative duties have grown, and I'm also in the process of trying to buy a house and get moved (and finally unpack my collection), but I'd like to thank those kind folks who mentioned me in the nomination process. It was ten years ago this month that I formally joined AA, having used it as a resource for a few years before that, and it's hard to believe that a decade has flown by. Due to work and other life "stuff" my collecting has slowed down quite a bit in terms of Atari (classic era-wise I have shifted more towards Colecovision, and every now and then I get a wild urge to start in on Intellivision), but I am pleased to report that I have convinced my university library that we need to start a games collection (and special collections make librarians quite happy). Not that I intend on competing with the few other higher ed institutions that have game collections, but this is where my Atari passion has been focused as of late. Hopefully the donations will start rolling in soon, and we have a small budget to make acquisitions with (I believe the two staff members heading up the proposal are concentrating on 25 "key titles" for the NES first), but it is one of my goals to make sure that Atari and its era of gaming are well represented in the collection. Again, my heartfelt thanks to those people who threw my name into the ring, especially since I have (aside from a chance meeting or two at CinciClassic) actually never met the vast majority of you.