IGNORED

7800/2600 version seller confusion

Stevaside

Been looking for Tomcat F-14 for my 7800 collection the past 2 days...Seen a couple listed on Amazon, but decided to message the sellers to make sure it was indeed the 7800 version as listed, and explain potential confusion from the label saying "For the Atari 2600 or 7800"....Well 2 sellers so far replied back telling me it was actually for the 2600!

Rewind a couple weeks back.....

I saw the 7800 Summer Games on Amazon...same thing, messaged to confirm....Was told it was....I order...package comes in mail...Open it up & what do you think?? SUMMER GAMES FOR THE ATARI 2600 OR & 7800...

Really frustrating me lately & I figured what better place to come & rant ..lol

Anyone go through the same BS?

Edited by Stevaside
  • Like 1

Fortunately, I never had; nonetheless, one of my rules* of wanting to see pictures of the actual product I'm purchasing has likely aided in that luck ;)

*There are exceptions - especially if I know the seller or had past dealings.

Yea that's what I like about Ebay & hate about Amazon...Alot of the games on Amazon seem to just have one universal stock photo for every seller..I've been finding better deals on Amazon compared to Ebay quite a bit lately though. So far, I have been strictly buying games that say very good condition, look at seller ratings & haven't had any bad luck. I know I could always get a refund too if someone really had the balls to send me a "very good" cart with tears in the label lol...BTW I had to edit my post, it was Summer Games they sent, not Winter Games, but it was the 2600 version. The seller apologized & issued a full refund without having to send it back, so now I have an extra I could trade...

The thing that gets to me is all the mixups where they're so ignorant as to the games they're selling. So many cases of advertising a game as a 7800 title just because it says "2600 or 7800" on the label. Half of them seem to not understand that means compatible with the 7800....

I called up a self-described "retro gaming" store in my area the other week & the guy thought all the freakin Colecovision games were 2600 games lol

Edited by Stevaside

Yep.....&I see this on Craigslist all the time too: The ad says "Atari 7800 & games" & then you click on it & see 15 2600 games & 2 actual 7800 lol...and sometimes the other way around; ad for 2600 games has some 7800 mixed in too

My favorite CL ad lately was one that said "Atari games for $50" I click on it & it's a low res pic of around 20-25 cartridges in a tub, I could only make out that there were 5 Combats at the top of the pile :grin: & one was some Imagic game (that comparing label images, turned out I already had, but forgot which one it was)..the others that were visible were Intellivison games....and she said "I don't know what the game titles are in here, we're just trying to get rid of them" lol

Edited by Stevaside

It doesn't help that there are some Tomcat F-14 labels out there that mistakenly list as "for 2600 & 7800" when they really are 7800 only. I had one.

Yea I just learned of that & was coming back here to update!...There's one on Ebay now even where he said it's a mislabel that is really the 7800 version. As of right now, I can't find any other verified 7800 version besides his & none online ATM that have a 7800 label.

BTW, I just ordered your Super Pacman cart a few days ago, been looking forward to getting it for a while. ;-) Looks like an awesome version of the arcade. This hotel in Daytona Beach my family used to go to when I was a kid every year had in in their arcade & I loved it. I was always letdown that it never got any home console versions. It wound up on a Namco Museum compilation for the PS1 years later which I rented at the time, but I didn't really care for the way the screen was shrunk & backgrounds put up to mimic the arcade monitor.

Edited by Stevaside

I bought Title Match Pro Wrestling "for the Atari 7800" on ebay. No mention of atari 2600, at all, anywhere in the listing.There was a picture of the actual cart, but the cart itself was not one I was familiar with by label alone, and the label did not explicitly say what platform it was for. So I looked at the label, and assumed the seller was right.

My 6$ mistake.

That dual listing of 2600 games as also 7800 games, while true, is a real pain on ebay. I love that almost as much as guys who add "lot of fun" to their listing title so their single items shows up in "lot" searches.

• Like 3

I'd say hands down, the thing that annoys the hell out of me the most on Ebay, and isn't as bad with Atari game searches, but I get with just about every other console out there is the damn "custom collectors case" or "refrigerator magnet" results....EVERY game I search for I have to see that..& yes, I know I can add - before the related terms & do sometimes, but that gets just as tiring....The other day I searched for the NES Cleaning Kit & the 1st thing I see is "NES Cleaning Kit Custom Collectors Case" ARE YOU FREAKIN SERIOUS?! lol Man how I wish that guy could just disappear

Well anyways late last night I got the 3rd reply back from the Tomcat F-14 sellers & thankfully it is the 7800 version, with correct label.. He even sent me a picture without asking to. Third times a charm, I guess :D

BTW, I just ordered your Super Pacman cart a few days ago, been looking forward to getting it for a while. ;-) Looks like an awesome version of the arcade. This hotel in Daytona Beach my family used to go to when I was a kid every year had in in their arcade & I loved it. I was always letdown that it never got any home console versions. It wound up on a Namco Museum compilation for the PS1 years later which I rented at the time, but I didn't really care for the way the screen was shrunk & backgrounds put up to mimic the arcade monitor.

Thank you :) Hope you enjoy it.

Bob

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That's part of the reason I'm kind of glad I probably overpaid for an Atari 7800 lot that has about half the 7800 library with it. The 1 working controller and system itself are kind of shoddy but it beats having to look around for games. I could always look for a cheaper better working system alone later. The lot came with a couple spare 2600s so I should be able to bundle at least one of those 2600s with my spare games and get maybe a third of my money back on that lot.

That's part of the reason I'm kind of glad I probably overpaid for an Atari 7800 lot that has about half the 7800 library with it. The 1 working controller and system itself are kind of shoddy but it beats having to look around for games. I could always look for a cheaper better working system alone later. The lot came with a couple spare 2600s so I should be able to bundle at least one of those 2600s with my spare games and get maybe a third of my money back on that lot.

I was lucky enough to start in the late 90's when a company O'Shea Ltd still had an inventory of games they were trying to clear out. So in the 1st days of my collecting I already picked up about half of the 7800 library from them right then, every game brand new in the box for 88 cents a piece! I also grabbed every 2600 game they had on their site as well :)

Good luck with reselling the 2600 stuff....and it's a little pricey, but I def recommend Best Electronics' composite video modded 7800 console. You could always get an existing one modded too of course

Edited by Stevaside

Hey, it could be worse...

They could have been listed as "Atari tapes."

or SUPER RARE ATARI 7800 GAME!

you know like...

WOW! RARE COMBAT GAME FOR THE ATARI!

RARE ATARI 2600 GAME E.T. !!

Hurrrr durrrrrr it's Aturrriii, therefurrr it has to be rurrrr! :mad:

lol I feel bad for any poor little kid out there that might just be starting & not knowing any better, might actually fall for that type of shit

I once questioned a seller about a loose Pac-Man cart labeled "rare." Starting/selling price was about on par with what it SHOULD be, mind you, but still the "rare" part bugged me.

The seller responded, saying correct, nothing rare about it, it's verbiage from a template used in the software he uses that posts eBay sales for him.

I once questioned a seller about a loose Pac-Man cart labeled "rare." Starting/selling price was about on par with what it SHOULD be, mind you, but still the "rare" part bugged me.

The seller responded, saying correct, nothing rare about it, it's verbiage from a template used in the software he uses that posts eBay sales for him.

hahahahaha

I've seen it on just about every game imaginable... it's ridiculous