IGNORED

WE WERE THERE new Intellivision Flashback commercial

Rev

Someday I can fondly look back at this post and reminisce on the first time I watched an early commercial for the 2014 Intellivision Flashback....which itself reminisces back to the eighties. It's currently brand new, but it will be meta-vintage to my future self.

Also, future self....do you still have a beard? I hope so. If you don't, just remember all the fun we had and grow it back ;-)

• Like 1

I love Intellivision and will definitely get the Flashback but am I the only one who thought that commercial was lame?

Their representation of the 80s seemed forced. I don't remember that many overweight redheads. I did wear a lot of neon, though. I had pair of Chuck Taylors with fluorescent green shoestrings on the left shoe and fluorescent pink on the right. Went great with my Bugle Boy, Ocean Pacific, and Gotcha branded clothes :) Pretty sure I had a side spike hairdo too.

Frosted jeans...

And I agree about the forced nature of the 'feel' of the commercial. There were so many one-hit wonders on the radio you'd think they could've sprung to pay for a bit of period music instead of the generic corporate "this is what we make" bland oatmeal blah blah music. It feels timid, as if they're saying "You remember this and liked it... right?" instead of "Remember when games were AWESOME!". (Or was that used already?)

One thing that stands out about the 80s in my memory was that it bristled with a bit more confidence - not necessarily braggadocio - just look-you-in-the-eye confidence.

Their representation of the 80s seemed forced. I don't remember that many overweight redheads. I did wear a lot of neon, though. I had pair of Chuck Taylors with fluorescent green shoestrings on the left shoe and fluorescent pink on the right. Went great with my Bugle Boy, Ocean Pacific, and Gotcha branded clothes :) Pretty sure I had a side spike hairdo too.

Cool commercial, but you're right about how the 80s are often represented. They probably have to exaggerate 80s fashions a bit to make them visually different, but I don't remember seeing anywhere near as much "big hair" or spiky hair or neon-colored clothing as you usually see in most portrayals. I don't remember seeing as many overweight kids, either. The 80s kids that you see on old episodes of "Mr. Wizard's World" (and other kids' shows from that era) look much more like the kids I knew: plain old jeans, t-shirts or polo shirts, sweaters or hooded sweatshirts in the wintertime, and basic bowl haircuts on the boys. Fairly conservative overall. Sure, we were stuck with bad haircuts or garish glasses sometimes, but I still prefer that to thong bikinis for eleven year old girls, which you didn't see back then, either.

One thing that stands out about the 80s in my memory was that it bristled with a bit more confidence - not necessarily braggadocio - just look-you-in-the-eye confidence.

Exactly. It's something that I miss today. Then again, given how much we coddle and spoil today's kids, it's not surprising if they grow up much more timid and tentative.

Cool commercial, but you're right about how the 80s are often represented. They probably have to exaggerate 80s fashions a bit to make them visually different, but I don't remember seeing anywhere near as much "big hair" or spiky hair or neon-colored clothing as you usually see in most portrayals. I don't remember seeing as many overweight kids, either. The 80s kids that you see on old episodes of "Mr. Wizard's World" (and other kids' shows from that era) look much more like the kids I knew: plain old jeans, t-shirts or polo shirts, sweaters or hooded sweatshirts in the wintertime, and basic bowl haircuts on the boys. Fairly conservative overall. Sure, we were stuck with bad haircuts or garish glasses sometimes, but I still prefer that to thong bikinis for eleven year old girls, which you didn't see back then,

this is very much the portrayal of the 80's where i lived in colorado. The only thing i dont ever recall seeing were a bunch of fat gingers. but yes the hair was huge (which i actually like) and it was stirrup pants, leggings, keds, tons of those bracelets, and neon for the girls and permed mullets, quicksilver or ocean pacific tshirts with the sleeves rolled, and neon muscle pants for the guys. Jason posted a bugle boys pic in the cge thread and it looks (going from the smallest kid to the tallest kid) like me in fifth, sixth and seventh grade. Some people hate the eighties and i love everything about the seventies and eighties. And this commercial gave me chills. I am so excited waiting for these stupid things to come out. Edited by pimpmaul69

Really love the Flashback idea (and I've forwarded this on my Facebook). My complaint: No cartridge port. If the Genesis Flashback can get a cartridge port, why not Atari or Intellivision?

To play Tron Deadly Discs (or any Disney game or even recent homebrew) I have to pull out a REAL Intellivision.