IGNORED

WE WERE THERE new Intellivision Flashback commercial

Rev

Really love the Flashback idea (and I've forwarded this on my Facebook). My complaint: No cartridge port. If the Genesis Flashback can get a cartridge port, why not Atari or Intellivision?

To play Tron Deadly Discs (or any Disney game or even recent homebrew) I have to pull out a REAL Intellivision.

The problem, of course, is that this is not a real Intellivision internally, but an emulator running on AtGames's hardware platform. That's not to say that a cartridge port wouldn't be possible, but it would be more difficult than simply adding a connector. It was possible to add a connector to the Flashback 2 because that was a reimplementation of the original 2600 chips and not an emulator, but AtGames took the later Flashbacks in a different direction. I also suspect that there isn't enough interest among the general public to justify the extra cost. I'm looking forward to seeing the Intellivision Flashback in person, too, but it will never replace my original Intellivision systems, so I'll always have an alternative for the likes of TRON Deadly Discs and BurgerTime.

• Like 1

this is very much the portrayal of the 80's where i lived in colorado. The only thing i dont ever recall seeing were a bunch of fat gingers. but yes the hair was huge (which i actually like) and it was stirrup pants, leggings, keds, tons of those bracelets, and neon for the girls and permed mullets, quicksilver or ocean pacific tshirts with the sleeves rolled, and neon muscle pants for the guys. Jason posted a bugle boys pic in the cge thread and it looks (going from the smallest kid to the tallest kid) like me in fifth, sixth and seventh grade. Some people hate the eighties and i love everything about the seventies and eighties. And this commercial gave me chills. I am so excited waiting for these stupid things to come out.

Fat gingers......im glad you said it and not me! Hahahhaa

• Like 2

Really love the Flashback idea (and I've forwarded this on my Facebook). My complaint: No cartridge port. If the Genesis Flashback can get a cartridge port, why not Atari or Intellivision?

To play Tron Deadly Discs (or any Disney game or even recent homebrew) I have to pull out a REAL Intellivision.

Were there other Disney games for the Intellivision?

In any case, as jaybird3rd said above, the Intellivision is emulated on a different chip. It would be possible to add a cartridge port, but really it'd be more like a cartridge dumper, and may not have compatibility with all the homebrews as a result.

To implement an actual cartridge port with reasonable fidelity and compatibility while still doing emulation raises the complexity considerably, and may not be feasible on the particular chip they're using.

I was there!

I just saw the video, wow! I agree with many of the comments: the corporate "this is us" music is lame, kids weren't all fat, not everyone wore their "going to the mall" clothes at home or to school, and hair was big mostly on Friday nights. (Wood-grain, on the other hand, was indeed everywhere.)

However, I was there, and that video brought me back. :)

-dZ.

Were there other Disney games for the Intellivision?

To implement an actual cartridge port with reasonable fidelity and compatibility while still doing emulation raises the complexity considerably, and may not be feasible on the particular chip they're using.

Disney games, mainly the three TRON games. As for the comment about the chip, bummer. :/

Let's see…

Kids running with the striped shirt, yeh that was about the right clothes.

Nice VHS reference and liked how the "flashback" is shown a little bit in VHS static.

Mention of the big hair and bright clothes, fairly true. Used a lot of Aqua Net in the 80's.

The pudgy kids, well, there is one black kid eating lucky charms who is not, but wow, they do get progressively bigger from left to right. They have two whites, a hispanic kid and a black kid so probably showing that "Kids of all races and sizes liked Intellivision."

I should add however I do remember one kid that used to hang with us back then that was about as big as the kid to the right. There were other fat kids back then. I guess because I have seen a lot of sci-fi and gaming geeks that were overweight since I didn't think anything of the ratio there. :D

School picture… gotta love the laser background.

Mix tapes… have to admit, didn't hear of the term "mix tapes" till much later. But there were tapes.

"No download this, update that." LOL that Flash-forward part was nice, showing parents playing the games with their kids and all.

Not a bad commercial I think.

Reposted on Facebook with my 800+ friends, so far, no likes which strikes me as a bit odd since I do have quite a few friends that like retro gaming/computer things. Or perhaps like me they already have an Intellivision.

Edited by doctorclu

Kids weren't anywhere near that obese 30 years ago, unless this commercial was filmed at the ultimate fat camp. Watch an 80s movie sometime like Stand By Me or Monster Squad or Goonies. Take a close look at just how pudgy the "fat kid" is. Now compare that to the "fat kid" in modern movies. The 80s kid would probably be the main hero these days.

I remember there was always one or two obese kids, but less than 10% overall all through grade school.

Regarding virtually instant downloads and updates, I think the world is better off with these. Much better than 'mail in order to software company, wait 2-3 weeks for disc, install with floppy drive, trouble shoot, :( '

"No download this, update that." LOL that Flash-forward part was nice, showing parents playing the games with their kids and all.

Other than the game manuals...

the corporate "this is us" music is lame, ... and hair was big mostly on Friday nights.

Well, most of the popular music back then sounded somewhat corporate to me back then (some exceptions). As for big hair, a large part of the girls at my school wore big hair every day.

However, oversized T-shirts with blue jeans was more common than the brightly colored clothes.

Still, it is a fun ad to watch.

Regarding virtually instant downloads and updates, I think the world is better off with these. Much better than 'mail in order to software company, wait 2-3 weeks for disc, install with floppy drive, trouble shoot, :( '

Depends. I find a lot of devs these days simply ship rushed beta code, knowing they can just send an update down the wire in a few weeks. Back in the cart/early optical days, you actually had to QA your product before shipping. Were there bugs? Sure, but nothing like what we see today. Every goddamn time I fire up my Xbox/Wii/PS it needs to do yet another goddamn update. Not just the console firmware/OS, but game patches ad nauseum. And untold games will be basically useless in the future once these update services go offline - you're stuck playing whatever shipped on disc - buggy, unplayable messes.

For those of us who continue to enjoy playing 20 year old games on any platform, the future is looking pretty bleak as a result.

you want to play smash on my odyssey 3000? I love the ball and paddle on a chip games. Still own two different ones

My younger years were spent on 2 pong clones, a Mattel handhold football LED game (the better green version), and Atari Stunt Cycle. The next systems were an Apple IIc and an NES, both late in their lifecycles. I loved the Apple IIc but the NES was 'meh' to me.

My younger years were spent on 2 pong clones, a Mattel handhold football LED game (the better green version), and Atari Stunt Cycle. The next systems were an Apple IIc and an NES, both late in their lifecycles. I loved the Apple IIc but the NES was 'meh' to me.

started when i was adopted at 5. Had jacks open pinball machine and some handheld sports games including white mattel football. Then we got a coleco with atari attachment. Had tons of atari games but only 3 coleco games. Also got an ibm c jr. Later got an apple iie and an nes ythen i got everything from sega genesis and super nintendo on.

Remember when video games were too primitive to have cartridge slots? Yup, I was there.

Actually you weren't. The very first home video game system was cartridge-based. At least to anyone who didn't take it apart and realize that the Odyssey "carts" were just jumpers :P

Now, if you're talking about laboratory games that use oscilloscopes as screens and such, then fine - you win :D