IGNORED

Can I use a PC Engine AV Booster on a TurboGrafx-16?

GoldenWheels

Thread title is the Q. Anyone know? I read here that the pin-out is identical:

Secret 28:
The 69-pin expansion bay on the back of the PC Engine and TurboGrafx systems is identical on both. But for a subtle difference in the shape of the connector's edges you can use all PCE accessories on the TG-16 and vice versa.

http://nfggames.com/games/pce/

But it's the second line that throws me..."But for a subtle difference in the shape of the connector's edges" makes it sound like the plastic casing itself (or something) makes it not fit.

Second question for those in the TG know:

If I buy just the TG 16 CD dock (with or without the CD unit) I've read I can use that as an an AV booster. BUT I see the CD dock has it's own power supply port. DO I have to use that power point if I use the dock? And if I do, does it use the same power supply as the Turbo Grafx 16 itself or does it need it's own special power supply?

Third question:

This is all asked, obviously, because I want to get composite AV out of my TG 16 and right now I am stuck with RF. The CD dock angle has something going for it in that even if I find only a dock (which is all I can find right now) I can expand it in the future by finding the CD unit (even if my odds there appear to be slim). Does anyone else have any better ideas or options for me? I'm trying to get this done for sub 50$--and without having to mail my console away.

If you are comfortable soldering, you can mod your console to output composite. The turbo booster is just a pass through connector. The console outputs composite already, you just need to add the jacks. It's fairly easy, all you need is a bit of wire, the jacks, and a copy of the pinout so you know what goes where. Alternatively, there is a cable that you can make if you don't feel comfortable modding the console itself. I've made them for a few people here in the past.

Edited by tpugmire

If you are comfortable soldering, you can mod your console to output composite. The turbo booster is just a pass through connector. The console outputs composite already, you just need to add the jacks. It's fairly easy, all you need is a bit of wire, the jacks, and a copy of the pinout so you know what goes where. Alternatively, there is a cable that you can make if you don't feel comfortable modding the console itself. I've made them for a few people here in the past.

I'm not comfortable doing that kind of stuff--though I wish more and more lately that I was.

I see both a special cable (with a real plug connector to the back of the TG) and a pass through box (homemade turbo booster in a box is all) on ebay. I guess I wouldn't mind something like that. I've also seen a few composite cables with stripped ends, which people just put onto the right pins/grounds. That's just too messy for my liking.

I guess I'm searching for the wrong things, all I see is one with the stripped ends. That is similar to the ones I make, but mine look better. I guess it boils down to how much time you're going to spend looking at the back of your console. :) To answer your original question though, I don't believe you can use the booster from a PC Engine on your TG-16. Electronically, it would work, but physically it's a different shape. That's what I've been told anyway.

I guess I'm searching for the wrong things, all I see is one with the stripped ends. That is similar to the ones I make, but mine look better. I guess it boils down to how much time you're going to spend looking at the back of your console. :) To answer your original question though, I don't believe you can use the booster from a PC Engine on your TG-16. Electronically, it would work, but physically it's a different shape. That's what I've been told anyway.

I somehow never found these doing "turbo booster" searches and just the other day the pop up in my feed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251617059293?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Guy has one that is just a box as well, with the composite ends.

You're right I am not goign to spend a ton of time looking at the back of the console....it just bugs the OCD guys in me. Plus I am a collector as well, I like things. I'd prefer to add something to my collection that is official PC engine or TG, rather than something homemade. But that's where the money comes in, ha!

Yeah I like that one but actually like this one (by same guy) better:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251629689185?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I am strongly considering it. I'm torn because if I spend 50$ more than that I can get a CD dock (with no CD unit of course)...which at least means I can expand in the future (in theory since I RARELY see the CD unit alone, let alone alone and WORKING).

First, those custom cables/adapter on ebay are really nicely done. Secondly, I personally just had mine modded for RGB/SCART using the Genesis II DIN port, but I'm RGB mad. Wasn't too expensive either. Third, the PCE boosters won't fit on the TG-16, mainly due to the shape of both plastic housing/cases.

I wouldn't recommend the CD dock. The portable CD unit is very difficult to find nowadays, and very expensive. Plus it requires a different power supply than the main system, also not easy to find, and is required just to get composite video. Also, both the CD player and the dock are not too durable. The vast majority sold on ebay are broken.

Yes they're massively expensive, and yes they require caps to be replaced, but the Turbo Duo is I feel the better way to go. Honestly after checking ebay, the Duo is not much more expensive than the CD attachment.

If you just want composite, I'd go for that custom cable on ebay. You might get lucky and find a Booster around that price, but then you never know if it truly works. However, going RGB or component looks great, really brings the brightness of the colors out.

I agree Greg, they look very well done. the guy has good feedback as well on these it seems. I'm not hardcore enough to be into RGB/SCART (though my projector has it, my gaming CRT does not have that hookup and I game mostly on the CRT).

Thanks so much for the info on both the PC Engine booster AND CD dock....on the latter the power supply issue definitely kills it for me. And I know you are right, I almost never see the CD unit on ebay solo, and as you say, they almost always say ***BROKEN!***

My (rather arbitrary) collecting line is that I don't really collect optical media. Only carts/hu cards/cards, things with physical connectors. I'd LOVE a duo but as you say...they're expensive (even before recapping IMO), and RIGHT NOW (haha) I don't intend to start collecting CD-ROM games. So I just cannot justify the outlay.

I think I am going to bite the bullet and get the box version (not the cable with box end version). Somehow I like it better. If I do I will report back on how well it works, maybe I can help someone else out.

Again, my thanks to you and tpugmire!

I agree Greg, they look very well done. the guy has good feedback as well on these it seems. I'm not hardcore enough to be into RGB/SCART (though my projector has it, my gaming CRT does not have that hookup and I game mostly on the CRT).

Thanks so much for the info on both the PC Engine booster AND CD dock....on the latter the power supply issue definitely kills it for me. And I know you are right, I almost never see the CD unit on ebay solo, and as you say, they almost always say ***BROKEN!***

My (rather arbitrary) collecting line is that I don't really collect optical media. Only carts/hu cards/cards, things with physical connectors. I'd LOVE a duo but as you say...they're expensive (even before recapping IMO), and RIGHT NOW (haha) I don't intend to start collecting CD-ROM games. So I just cannot justify the outlay.

I think I am going to bite the bullet and get the box version (not the cable with box end version). Somehow I like it better. If I do I will report back on how well it works, maybe I can help someone else out.

Again, my thanks to you and tpugmire!

I thoroughly invested all things TG-16/PCE a few years ago. I actually have a couple of the (few) inexpensive CD games. I just have them to have them, but I can play them on my softmodded Xbox (original). If I was just playing on a CRT, I would leave it as composite, but TG is similar to NES output. Both look crisp over composite, but the color depth is terrible.

Edited by Greg2600

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd help contribute to this thread. The EXT connector for PC Engine and TurboGrafx-16 has the same pinout but the metal shield around the connector is different shaped. PC Engine is more rectangle shaped with straight sides while TG16 is more trapezoid shaped with angled sides.

Since you're not comfortable with soldering, you could always ask for AV mod service in the WTB section. A common mod uses Genesis 2 style AV port so you could get either composite or RGB out. Yes, TG-16 and PCE can output raw RGB and with about 50 cents worth of parts make a basic amp circuit that will work with most RGB monitor. My TG16 is modded and hooked to a Commodore monitor, the image is so sharp it almost hurts to look at it (and Commodore monitor are shit compared to Sony PVM!!!)

Well I got that av booster box and it works GREAT. Even though I always considered by TGs RF the best of my RF systems, it's still of course way better as composite.

at $48 it wasn't cheap but the thing is very professionally put together. I'll put a few photos up of the "business end" when I can. Fits well, well put together. Picture and sound are good.

I'd still like to get my system modded but now in a dif way....I see Core Grafxs modded with a region switch on ebay. Can this mod also be done on the TG? I'd like to access the Japanese library without buying an overpriced converter or another system.

An 8PDT switch would be less wire to mod with but it'd be manual switch only, no soft switching by holding button on power on. My TG-16 is modded with an 8PDT switch but it's now useless since I got TurboEverdrive which has built in PCE/TG-16 converter.

Modding TG-16 is slightly easier because PCE didn't have region lock. Modding PCE to play TG-16 games requires one minor mod to a CPU to fake the region lock.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...