IGNORED

Atari ST Component Video Adapter - FINISHED!

Kjmann

As some of you may remember I was working on an S-Video Adapter for the ST series of computers a few years ago and had a lot of trouble with it. well a couple of months ago I Started working on an Amiga Component Video adapter. I was successful. So After Dinking around with the design a bit and after adding two extra circuits to the design, Today I finally got a beautiful Component Video Picture with a Standard ST (NO RF MODULATOR REQUIRED!!!)

Will work on all Atari ST, STe, TT (With 13pin Adapter), Falcon (With 13pin Adapter) Systems.

I will upload a youtube Video of it in action (Using My Webcam) later tonight and Post a link here.

=)

Sal (Kjmann)

• Like 1

This is cool. Great work.

The thing with the ST though, is that if you want to play games your display needs to support 50Hz. In the USA, our choices are very limited when it comes to that. I personally know of no component display sold in the US that will switch gracefully between and display properly 50hz and 60hz. I have 5 TVs in my home and none work with a 50Hz signal. Thus the need for the sc1224 or its equal from another maker. I have a few RGB to VGA converters that work exactly like your new adapter. I don't use them because the only VGA displays I have that switch between 50hz and 60hz are older CRT VGA monitors. At that point, I'd rather be using the SC1224.

Not trying to rain on the parade here, but the fact that the display need to support 50hz as well as the device doing the adapting is very important for us in the USA. I know you mentioned it in the video, but it is not just an after thought. If you want to enjoy the ST game library and make floppy disks from all those menu disks on the internet, you NEED a 50Hz capable display.

That out of the way, this adapter looks to have an excellent display. Again, great work!

Edited by Official Ninja
  • Like 1

This is cool. Great work.

The thing with the ST though, is that if you want to play games your display needs to support 50Hz. In the USA, our choices are very limited when it comes to that. I personally know of no component display sold in the US that will switch gracefully between and display properly 50hz and 60hz. I have 5 TVs in my home and none work with a 50Hz signal. Thus the need for the sc1224 or its equal from another maker. I have a few RGB to VGA converters that work exactly like your new adapter. I don't use them because the only VGA displays I have that switch between 50hz and 60hz are older CRT VGA monitors. At that point, I'd rather be using the SC1224.

Not trying to rain on the parade here, but the fact that the display need to support 50hz as well as the device doing the adapting is very important for us in the USA. I know you mentioned it in the video, but it is not just an after thought. If you want to enjoy the ST game library and make floppy disks from all those menu disks on the internet, you NEED a 50Hz capable display.

That out of the way, this adapter looks to have an excellent display. Again, great work!

The TV I Did the Video with is a Brand New Sharp 32" LED and it does PAL Perfectly (Link Here). I bought it from 220-Electronics.com There are more and more Places selling Multi Regional TV's every day. The Sharp I have Supports NTSC, PAL and SECAM. Cost me $260.

You just have to look at what you're buying. when you buy a cheap TV, you get what you pay for.

Thanks for the compliment on the picture and unit. =)

Just curious... is this an RGB to component converter, or is there more involved

It's more than that. It is an RGB to component Converter, but there was a bit more required to make something like this work on an ST without an RF Modulator.

KJMann - does it also handle the High Rez mode or just Medium and Low?

Does Just Medium and Low Res. I haven't had the time to try to get it to work with High Res Yet. I will tinker with it, but it's not High on the priority list.

• Like 1

The TV I Did the Video with is a Brand New Sharp 32" LED and it does PAL Perfectly (Link Here). I bought it from 220-Electronics.com There are more and more Places selling Multi Regional TV's every day. The Sharp I have Supports NTSC, PAL and SECAM. Cost me $260.

You just have to look at what you're buying. when you buy a cheap TV, you get what you pay for.

Thanks for the compliment on the picture and unit. =)

That is great your TV works with PAL. I'm sure there are a few out there, sold in the US, that do. Fact is most will not. It is not my point to argue that. My point is that the PAL issue is actually THE big issue for those of us in the USA. Most games and menu disks will switch to 50hz. Any sync combiner and RGB to YUV converter can get a non RF ST model on a component input TV. The bigger issue with the ST is not a device like you made but the actual display.

People need to understand that clearly because a RGB to whatever device is not what is most important for the ST. A 50hz display is. The vast majority of its software was written in and for Europe. So 50Hz is a must for someone looking to explore all the ST game library.

Also, cheap has nothing to do with a display doing 50Hz. Among my TVs are SONY XBR and HX series displays. Far from cheap and they won't touch a 50Hz signal. Probably better said is that if 50Hz compatibility is important, some research needs to be done to find a capable display.

That is great your TV works with PAL. I'm sure there are a few out there, sold in the US, that do. Fact is most will not. It is not my point to argue that. My point is that the PAL issue is actually THE big issue for those of us in the USA. Most games and menu disks will switch to 50hz. Any sync combiner and RGB to YUV converter can get a non RF ST model on a component input TV. The bigger issue with the ST is not a device like you made but the actual display.

People need to understand that clearly because a RGB to whatever device is not what is most important for the ST. A 50hz display is. The vast majority of its software was written in and for Europe. So 50Hz is a must for someone looking to explore all the ST game library.

Also, cheap has nothing to do with a display doing 50Hz. Among my TVs are SONY XBR and HX series displays. Far from cheap and they won't touch a 50Hz signal. Probably better said is that if 50Hz compatibility is important, some research needs to be done to find a capable display.

Sony has been going cheap on a lot of things over the past few years. I wont buy a sony anymore. I don't personally like them. Sharp and toshiba have the ability to switch to PAL mode on a lot of their TV's. and there are several places in the US to Buy Multi Regional TV's Now. Just not at a local store, and the prices are comparable to most local stores.

I'm not too concerned with this issue. people that want a display ability like this will probably purchase a TV that fits what they want.

I even supplied a link to the TV I purchased and that store (located in the US) has Serveral more models and sizes available.

This is the place I bought my TV: http://www.220-electronics.com

This is a link to the TV I purchased: http://www.220-electronics.com/sharp-lc32le240m-32-multi-system-led-tv.html

First Thing, can we get pics of the actual device?

Next, I will definitely be getting this. I am hoping one of the two older lcd televisions I have works. (I have a 1040 STF). If not I am not against getting a little 13-15 inch tv from 220-electronics.

I got my ST last summer with a 1224 monitor. But due to the age of the system and the fact that the monitor and system came from Oregon to Pennsylvania (it was packed really well but just the mere jostling from the USPS could cause an issue), I am paranoid my monitor is going to die, and then (since it is an STF) I will be SOL.

I have been looking on the net for a US STE. But these seem to be very rare. The STE would probably solve my no RF modulator issue, but I haven't come across one yet. A few UK ones, but I really don't want to deal with PAL only and the Voltage conversion.

I have an HXC and an ultra satan so I can run most everything with my 1040 STF. Just looking for some insurance for the monitor issue.

Another question, on a number of the menu disks available on the net actually have an option for 50/60mhz. Would this be a solve all or the PAL format issue?

Just wondering.

Thanks for the great work and great Information.

This looks great!! Well done! Nice video. But I have several questions.

- The aspect ratio looks off in the video. It looks 'stretched' some what. Some where in between 4:3 and 16:9. So this new device will not keep the true ST desktop ratio on a wide screen LED TV?

- From reading above in this thread, and listening to the video I'm a bit confused. Is this a PAL device or a NSTC device?

- Looking on the Atarisales.com website, I do not see this device, or specs for it listed. Though I'm sure i missed the link somewhere.

- To make this device near perfect, it should be able to handle hi-res. I'm sure many of us would like to go from doing some application/programming work to a game without having to switch monitors. This would be a HUGE selling point. Though not quite as much as actually having such a device in the first place!! Congratulations again!

- Will this be an internal or external device. Internal would be best. I like i mentioned, I did not see any spec listed yet.

- Please post a picture of this great device.

This looks great!! Well done! Nice video. But I have several questions.

Thanks. I'll answer them one at a time....

- The aspect ratio looks off in the video. It looks 'stretched' some what. Some where in between 4:3 and 16:9. So this new device will not keep the true ST desktop ratio on a wide screen LED TV?

I just had my TV set to Wide/Stretch. you can set yours to whatever suits you. =)

- From reading above in this thread, and listening to the video I'm a bit confused. Is this a PAL device or a NSTC device?

It works on both PAL and NTSC

- Looking on the Atarisales.com website, I do not see this device, or specs for it listed. Though I'm sure i missed the link somewhere.

It's not listed yet because we are waiting for the boards to be manufactured.

- To make this device near perfect, it should be able to handle hi-res. I'm sure many of us would like to go from doing some application/programming work to a game without having to switch monitors. This would be a HUGE selling point.

I may still add this although I would have to put in a complicated switch setup. also the High Res Might not be White if I did this. It would probably be a Light Cyan or close to it.

- Will this be an internal or external device. Internal would be best. I like i mentioned, I did not see any spec listed yet.

It is an External Device. it has a 2 Foot Cord that plugs in to the Atari ST monitor port and goes into a small box with the three YUV RCA Jacks on it. (If I add the high res, There would also be a switch mounted in the box).

Congratulations again!

- Please post a picture of this great device.

Thanks, I will post a pic when I have a fully cased version to take a picture of.

-Sal

Edited by Kjmann

• 3 weeks later...