IGNORED

Interview questions for Bill Wilkinson?

Savetz

Bryan, please don't feel you need to 'add' to the community, you father did more than any person could ever expected, you need just to be happy that Bill was an amazing man who we all loved in our own way.

We thank you for passing on his leaving us and hope that if you ever need us that we are here....

This is one of the nicest groups I've ever been in, my daughter has anorexia and these wonderful people helped my daughter so wonderfully despite not knowing her or me that well, so if ever you want some help then please just ask.

Paul.

• Like 1

Dear Bryan,

I am sad to learn that you father has passed away and would like to thank you for letting us know. While I did not become an engineer or programmer, your father's articles and books were a highlight for me as a teenage computer addict and gave me a lot of insight into what could be done with those early computers and how. to go about it. Your father had a way of writing that was pleasant and entertaining to read yet easy enough for me as a non-native speaker to understand. I remember poring over "Inside Atari DOS" and being fascinated how the innards of a central piece of software worked. While I learned from the interview with ANTIC that OSS had not been the business success he would have wished for, as a user I do value your father's contribution to what was the finest system software company producing for the Ataris. As a youngster I was very proud of my bright orange Action! and MAC/65 carts with their professional looking yellow binders as well as being able to use (and remember) elegant DOS XL commands when my Atari friends had to rely on a menu.

It is great that we got a chance to hear your father's take on Atari and OSS through the ANTIC podcast though it is sad that will not hear his voice again.

Please pass my regards to your mother and let her know that your father will be missed and remembered by the Atari community he gave so much.

Siegfried

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, my name is Bryan Wilkinson. I'm one of Bill's two sons.

So sorry to hear the news, Bryan. I discovered your dad's writing in Atari magazines that I got second-hand as a teenager, years after they were originally published. I somehow got ahold of your dad's email address, and decided I had t othank him for his work, because it was the most informative content in any of the books or magazines I had -- he became kind of a hero to me.

He was very kind to respond to a dorky teenager fanboy, especially so many years after the fact (but before this stuff became "retro" and popular again). I've always appreciated that.

• Like 2

So sorry to hear the news, Bryan. I discovered your dad's writing in Atari magazines that I got second-hand as a teenager, years after they were originally published. I somehow got ahold of your dad's email address, and decided I had t othank him for his work, because it was the most informative content in any of the books or magazines I had -- he became kind of a hero to me.

He was very kind to respond to a dorky teenager fanboy, especially so many years after the fact (but before this stuff became "retro" and popular again). I've always appreciated that.

I had a similar introduction to Bill's writings/teachings. When I was first learning to program on the Ataris, I discovered a huge cache (close to, if not complete) of Compute magazines at the local library in Michigan where I was living at the time -- around 1985/1986. I didn't know exactly who Bill was, then, but I went through every Compute magazine they had on file, gleaning as much information as possible from the Atari related sections. I got a lot out of those articles, and combined with two other Compute sources ("Mapping the Atari" and "Compute's 1st Book of Atari Graphics", which Bill was also both involved with) they amounted to one of the best, first year educations on the Ataris I could hope to get.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

Thanks, Internet. I have some re-reading (and missed-out-on reading) to do, some time soon: http://www.atarimagazines.com/compute/index/index.php?author=Bill+Wilkinson

Wow that is a fantastic resource you linked to :-o I'll be reading from that well into next year I'm sure. Thank you :)

Bryan -- My condolences to you and your family as well. And I too learned a lot about the inner workings of the Atari from your father's books and articles. In fact "Mapping the Atari" was one of my most worn and ragtag-ed Atari related books I owned (it got a lot of use).

- Michael

• Like 2

I feel like I just got gut punched so hard that I can't breathe.....

I am so very sorry Bill lost his battle with cancer and the complications from it being blood based. The loss of such a good hearted charitable man of such wisdom not only in computers but in life itself makes the world a much poorer place. I hope you can take comfort in the fact that he enriched the lives of so many people directly in his presence or indirectly thru his works. Bill will truely be with us forever as his writings, coding, and conversations are remembered. He continues to power our machines and our minds.... a beloved member of our community always...

A friend and fellow

• Like 2

Thanks, Internet. I have some re-reading (and missed-out-on reading) to do, some time soon: http://www.atarimagazines.com/compute/index/index.php?author=Bill+Wilkinson

Hm, I noticed it isn't complete...

One thing saved in my dad's collection are the full set of Compute! Insight:Atari and Insight:ST articles he wrote. Are they archived anywhere else? If not, I can help fill those gaps in later. We have some other OSS memorabilia I'll need to scan or photograph as it is.

• Like 4