IGNORED

Sega Nomad + New 3.5 LCD = rolling screen/bad colors

dougal22

My Sega Nomad works fine... As fine as a standard Nomad can work, which means the factory LCD looks washed up.

I bought a $20 LCD display 3.5 inch from eBay to do the LCD replacement mod but before starting the mod decided to hook it up to the AV out of the Nomad to test it.

The result is a rolling display and bad colors (almost black & white but not quite) :( - Check out the video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REwkctfpd50

I tested the LCD with an NTSC Commodore 64 DTV and it worked fine. I tested the Nomad with my CRT TV using the AV cable and it was fine.

Should I blame the Nomad or the AV cable ? I guess not as that setup works with my CRT TV.

Should I blame the 3.5 inch LCD ? It does not have any settings other than the usual brightness/contrast/color/Saturation etc...

I tried both AV1 and AV2 both producing the exact same result as seen in the video.

If it wasn't for that you tested it with the NTSC C64 then I would expect it to be a PAL screen. That's what it looks like when you hook a NTSC video game on a PAL TV that doesn't support NTSC. Most of the time the screen doesn't scroll, but it is possible since it doesn't get enough scanlines. I would still check the specs of the LCD display, it might say PAL.

But can I ask you to post the name and type Nr of the screen that you bought. Maybe a picture and from whom you bought it.

That way other people know not to buy that one for the mod.

It looks like one of the more common ones that people have used in their mods. Unfortunately its been a while since I bought it (3-4 months ago) and I can't view the eBay item page for it.

It came in a plain box with no model number and there is nothing written on the it such as make or model number.

It's got 2 AV (Video) in phono cables & one 12V IN power plug.

It looks like this : http://image.dhgate.com/albu_256664688_00-1.0x0/3-5-inch-color-tft-lcd-2-channel-car-rear.jpg

Edited by dougal22

The problem with these screens is that they are produced so cheaply and in mass quantity that it's impossible to tell what kind of screen you are going to get on terms of quality and functionality. Some people have ordered bulk screens (10-15 at a time) from one seller's listing and received 4 or 5 different motherboards. I've also come across many screens that have issues working only on Sega products as well; either a single line of doubling interference or just refusing to display a picture at all. One even only showed a picture during the split screen Sonic 2 demo and nothing else. All those screens work flawlessly on any other system not by Sega (which of course was the only reason I needed them)

I don't think anyone's bothered to find a "fix" for finicky screens like this. By the time someone could figure out what the problem is there would already be 2-3 different board revisions by then anyway, which is pretty much the reason nobody have perfected S-Video out on these yet.

Since you only need 1 screen I'd suggest just to try again. When I was having trouble finding suitable screens I went to dealextreme instead of ebay, sorted the search of 3.5" TFT by "Latest Release" and browsed backwards for a screen manufactured from 2012 or before.

If you really are interested in if this is pal or NTSC then you could check the crystal on the PCB.

But I would take wallydawg's advice and just get a new one. The chance of getting this one to work is too small.

Although I should add that even DX doesn't guarantee an old build, they often change the item to one that looks the same and has the same specs but is still different inside.

I can only wish you luck. I still have to do this mod myself and the problem you are facing now is one of the reasons why I'm avoiding it.

Edit:

I checked the movie again, I didn't check it out completely before. I'm doubting if its a PAL/NTSC problem since the backgrounds do show color after a while. Viewing NTSC on PAL would result in total loss of color. Although the pattern that you see in the image might give the feeling there is some color.

Edited by DrWho198

I had the same problem this weekend with this lcd from amazon. :'(

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IUGW8VU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

so i ordered this lcd from amazon which seems to be a different manufacturer, so i will let you know if i have the same issue.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045IIZKU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by TheNeck

• 5 weeks later...

Hi there,
I have exactly the same horrible problem, I have bought 3 different screens that were supposed to work for my Nomad, 2 from China and one from DealExtreme !!
I have waited nearly 3 weeks for each delivery and for all of them, the display was rolling verticaly and the colors were faulty ... ><

Did someone have a 100% safe LCD to suggest ?? ^^"

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried this screen from dealextreme? The pixel resolution also seems more accurate (320x240 as opposed to the one Galix says works which is 320x234 pixels).

Did you ever get this screen? I'm thinking of getting one and I'm not sure how it is. I had the same problem (rolling screen, bad colors) and I need a new one :/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I am considering doing the LCD replacement on my Nomad. The LCD screen from DX appears to still be available, but I also found this one on eBay for about half the price (which concerns me): eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1507153095971?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=150715309597&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Does anyone know about or have experience with this particular unit? They look similar and have similar specs and information.

Of course, I found another one that looks good, but there is always the concern about cheaply made stuff, aside from compatibility. eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3310405728491?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=331040572849&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]