IGNORED

What are the 5 rarest homebrew games on Vectrex ?

scalpel

Color clash is still available on the developers site http://www.revival-studios.com/?page=36 only the limited edition with overlay is sold out, but had a 150 copy run.

Debris (the exclusive edition) from the same developer had a much more limited run of only 20 carts. One copy was on sale last year, because the developer was selling his copy to finance his new business.

Edited by Seob

My list:

-VeCaves/Spike's Spree

-Vec-Sports Boxing Limited Edition

-Solar Wars 2-Player Preview

-Star Sling Limited Edition

-Debris Limited Edition

Honorable Mention:

-Joust: Evolution

Except for Vec Sports Boxing Limited Edition I know there are only 13 copies, do you know for the others ?

..... maybe Protector / YASI but I do hear lots of people discuss that cart so maybe it's more available than has been my experience

Nah. I bought a copy last year from John Dondzila before he stopped making Vectrex carts and turned that over to Packrat, which is/will be selling his games now.

• Like 1

My list:

-VeCaves/Spike's Spree

-Debris Limited Edition

Honorable Mention:

Debris limited edition had a run of 80 carts

Debris exclusive edition had a run of 20 carts.

Edited by Seob

My list:

-VeCaves/Spike's Spree

-Debris Limited Edition

Honorable Mention:

Did Joust: Evolution ever get completed? I remember seeing it in a "coming soon" section of some Vectrex site, but nothing else.

http://tbone1892001.wix.com/vectrex-elite

I have done an article on a similar topic. However, there are a number of releases which are almost identical in gameplay, only the packaging varies. Taking this into account, I'd say that these are the rarest games.

Solar Wars 2 Player Preview - only 10

Irrelevant - only 34

Hexed! - only 50

VeCaves/Spikes Spree - only 84 (soon to be re-released)

The roms to these games have never been released and never been on any multicart. The only way to play them is you are extremely lucky to own one.

Grey area :

Joust Evolution is a prototype and auctioned with 2 carts. No rom exists outside of this.

Fresssakk only had one cart made for the winner of the high score between 7/6 and 7/25, 2014 but is available for download.

Warrior has only had around 5 carts delivered so far.

Other exclusive roms :

Bombenhagel is only available on Madtronix multicarts. Between the Classic, Modern and Bundle carts, there is probably on about 50 or so so far.

Spike Goes down was only available on the 100 Protector LE carts and is not available for download.

Sectis and 3D Sector X each had a release of 150 carts and are neither available for download or on a multicart.

• Like 1

http://tbone1892001.wix.com/vectrex-elite

I have done an article on a similar topic. However, there are a number of releases which are almost identical in gameplay, only the packaging varies. Taking this into account, I'd say that these are the rarest games.

Solar Wars 2 Player Preview - only 10

Irrelevant - only 34

Hexed! - only 50

VeCaves/Spikes Spree - only 84 (soon to be re-released)

The roms to these games have never been released and never been on any multicart. The only way to play them is you are extremely lucky to own one.

Grey area :

Joust Evolution is a prototype and auctioned with 2 carts. No rom exists outside of this.

Fresssakk only had one cart made for the winner of the high score between 7/6 and 7/25, 2014 but is available for download.

Warrior has only had around 5 carts delivered so far.

Other exclusive roms :

Bombenhagel is only available on Madtronix multicarts. Between the Classic, Modern and Bundle carts, there is probably on about 50 or so so far.

Spike Goes down was only available on the 100 Protector LE carts and is not available for download.

Sectis and 3D Sector X each had a release of 150 carts and are neither available for download or on a multicart.

Thanks, it's really instructive. Thanks for the article !

Edited by scalpel

That was the predecessor to The Definitive Guide to Vectrex Collecting.

I always wonder who might have all 4 (VeCaves, Irrelevant, Hexed and Solar Wars). Or who might have the most of all 4 other than Mayhem who was unable to acquire Irrelevant before they were sold out. I don't have have Solar Wars though Solar Wars would be the deciding factor since there are only 10.

3 copies of VeCaves have come up for sale in the last 2 months and 3 copies of Hexed in the last 6 months. Solar Wars hasn't come up since Pepijn sold his copy and no one has let loose of their copy of Irrelevant that I know of so far. A fair amount of most homebrews come up, including most of the Fury games. Sectis, 3D Sector X, the Vectorzoa games and Chris Tumber's games come up the least frequent. What may be surprising is games like Protector LE, Debris EE/Debris Revisited VIP have come up fairly often. And usually when 1 person lists a rare/uncommon game, others follow almost immediately like when all of the sudden 3 copies of the Mail Plane Prototype showed up within weeks after so much absence.

• 8 months later...

A few rare games have been released since this discussion last came up.

X-Mas Cart 2014 had less than 50 carts made (the ROM is available for download). However, 11 carts contained a USB power output. They were sold with LED Christmas Trees.

N.E.L.S. had a run of 50 carts (no ROM available).

I also believe that the cartridge version of Pythagorean Theorem is pretty rare.

Recent developments.

Hexed! was released as downloadable ROM.

Also, people have been receiving their copies of Warrior, so probably by the end of the year all 150 carts will be out there.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, hopefully I just have a bit of tidying up around the edges of the graphics and movement routines to do, and hopefully put a popper tune on the front screen.

I will release the binary, and/or rty to get it added to a multi cart... so if anybody is interested let me know...

I do want to try and make (literally) two or three cartridges of this one, complete with box and overlay just as a bit of an experiment, but the cost is high!

Edited by gorf68

• 4 weeks later...

A few rare games have been released since this discussion last came up.

X-Mas Cart 2014 had less than 50 carts made (the ROM is available for download). However, 11 carts contained a USB power output. They were sold with LED Christmas Trees.

N.E.L.S. had a run of 50 carts (no ROM available).

I also believe that the cartridge version of Pythagorean Theorem is pretty rare.

Recent developments.

Hexed! was released as downloadable ROM.

Also, people have been receiving their copies of Warrior, so probably by the end of the year all 150 carts will be out there.

I just want to comment that I got that 11th USB Xmas 2014 cart via the contest Binary Star Software held. I couldn't believe it, as I never win ANY kind of sweepstakes. I will have to take a picture this December with the Vectrex and Xmas tree and post here to get everyone in the mood of the season!

• Like 1