IGNORED

Aztec Challenge

Vorticon

Have always been drawn to this game for whatever reason. Simple enough, yet challenging. Enjoyed it on the C64 eons ago, then on the 2600 when it came out.

Recently received the TI (cassette) version and couldn't wait to boot it up. It's a BASIC game alright, but still pretty impressive all things considered. Love the box artwork and even though it'll probably see little to no play from here on out, glad to have it in the collection. :)

Sounds like a great idea, although I doubt the blog's author will likely change his opinion...

OMG he is right this is horrid game. I think really badly written.

Most of the problems are SPITE Collisions and just so random to win.

1350 was best game I could get.

Worse still the faster the game plays the harder it is to play.

I disagree a bit here. Yes, the collision detection leaves something to be desired, but once you get used to the timing of the jumps, it actually becomes relatively enjoyable. I made it to 5020, and I was starting to get pretty comfortable with it. It's really all about reflexes and timing in this game.

Not as bad as you guys think.

I love the Commodore 64 version of this game and hate the TI version. I haven't loaded it in since I first got it because I was so disappointed in it. Looked worse than a type-in program from a magazine. And the theme music on the Commodore makes the game. Glad to have it in the archives but I would have been sad 'back in the day' if I'd spent money on it.

• Like 2

Back in the day the C64 version looked like a nice game. When I got it, I think I only loaded it once. Somehow the level of frustration, as experienced by the player in the YouTube below, quickly got to me. I guess frustration is part of games, you know, the urge to go further, see the next thing. The feel of almost being killed at random, and being put back to the very beginning of a level is ... frustrating, but also somewhat fun, challenging ...

Yes, the TI version is awful. Whatever you do (without assembly support) Extended Basic sprite collision detection is notorious. Even the tightest loop will miss or you'll have to have the slowest moving sprites on earth. Haven't looked at the code, so I can't say if it's badly written, but being stuck with XB, you were ... somewhat stuck.

Anyway, watching the YouTube, and laughing, I think it's hilarious, I'd say it make a good candidate for a new and polished TI version. Something close to the C64 and maybe even topping off in every aspect, graphics, music, gameplay, - the hole lot. It went on my list, but I just decided to take it off (have to work on some of the others). Lot of potential though I say.

:rolling:

• Like 4

I think the reason for most of the awful TI cassette software is very self evident and it was pretty much down to TI making assembler so damned expensive to get into on the 4a.

I certainly didn't have four figure sums to throw about on hardware in the early eighties.

Even if you did have the money-the process itself was hardly straightforward.

Small comparison for using assembly-Ti/994a, plug in E/A cartridge, switch on machine, go through menu system etc etc.(having purchased PEB, Disk Controller, Disk Drivie, Memory expansion)

BBC Micro-switch on machine.(no additional hardware needed)

Damn you TI!!!!!!! :mad:

But it is all it's quirks that make me love it more. :-D

• Like 2

Aztec Challenge, as I saw it here on that Youtube video, is a nice demonstration what makes a game interesting - it takes a lot of time while you keep advancing through the game, encountering new challenges all over the time. I remember well that one of the challenging points of TI Invaders was to see the new aliens every third round, or what will be the next surface color of Parsec. On the other side, we had games like Moonsweeper, Moon Mine, or Buck Rogers whose stories could be learned in about one minute's time, and you knew that once you got through all the screens, you had seen everything.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I have the vaguest recollection of this game on my TI-99/4A from back in 1983/4. It was one of the last games I purchased for it, and I believe it was one of only two or so that I mail ordered, the other being Moonbeam Express from Moonbeam Software. Both of these games were Extended BASIC games, which would explain why I recall Aztec Challenge being so amazingly slow. I didn't enjoy the game, I recall. 

I sold the TI (not due to Aztec Challenge) and moved to an Apple //c a short time later. 

I have reacquired a TI system, more recently. Just FYI. 

bp

Edited by blakespot
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, OLD CS1 said:

Bummer.

Here you are ...

The pyramid moves closer and closer (many times) in each phase, and there are 5 phases. The background colors are changed when the game "rolls over" (going back to phase 1 - and probably with added difficulty).

aztec.gif.5d1381f01bea81f4c9e71cc4a1713771.gif

Edited by sometimes99er