IGNORED

Extended Basic v2.7 Suite Cartridge

Gazoo

The CRC would be helpful!

** Now I bricked one of the XB27 modules, but luckily managed to get it back using

the Navarone Module extender (see procedure below) as the BASICLOADER does not load.

1. It seems the main problem I have is

> Everything works normal with all the upgrades, until I switch off/on the TI.

> Then the module still works with Menu, etc., but I loose the CALL functions in XB.

Other observations:

1. There are 2x versions of XB27MENU

(1. One included in the Extended Basic Suite version .zip file, called XB27Upgrade, smaller case letters)

(2. one indication "XB27UPGRADE (all capital letters)

One of them completely bricked my XB27 (I only had a TI Basic menu, and no way to load GROMCFG

because the "BASICLOAD" did not work (I tried all versions XB27NOMENU.dsk, XB27UPGRADE.dsk (and XB27Upgrade.dsk), 042615XB27.dsk)

no of them loads (I do not get the string mismatch error anymore, but screen remains black after starting)

>> now the modules is bricked.... (the module was always inserted in the slot directly)

> Recovery

(it was mentioned that the Navarone should not be used with XB27, but it helped to recover my XB27 module!)

> Procedure.

> Navarone + EA module in slot 1 (I only have an EA-8Krom built in version), but guess it works with a normal EA as well

> Option 5. DSK1.GROMCFG (I used the one on XB27NOMENU.dsk)

> now the program started

> plug in the bricked XB27 module in slot 3 of the Navarone carefully

> unplug the EA module from slot 1 carefully

> Now you only have the XB27 module in the Navarone, switch the selector to position 3 carefully

> Now CTRL L (and DSK1.XB27NOMENU)

> After succesful reading GROMs and EEPROMs,

> the module has the config again (pfffff!)

> remove the Navarone module extender

> plug the XB27 module back in the console port for verification.

(it was mentioned that Navarone Extender can be used with ONLY the XB27 module in it, so that you can use the handy "reset" button)

but I prefer not to use the Navarone with XB27.

XB27NOMENU

* I noticed that the XB27 option does not load (blank screen), but with REVIEW module library

continue until you see "MENU", then you see option A XB27 and that works.

after a reset, the module only comes back with the MENU (and not anymore with the "noMENu option)

I am wondering if I miss steps somewhere, after the grom updates, I press FCTN = (QUIT),

or do I save first something on the module (to avoid that after an off/on switch, the CALL functions dissapear)

Hi Gazoo,

I hope this helps in the further analysis to check if it is a hardware or a software issue?

Other people do not have this issue correct ?

** Current workaround. Everything works in the XB27 modules ("1" dir, F5), the BOOT, etc.

Except CALL functions do not work (like CALL NYANYA) after a TI-99/4A hardware switch on/off

but via TIBAS I can do the CALL MOUNT functions for NanoPEB.

1. I changed to a normal PEB system (with 32K, RS232, P-Code, DiskCntrl, Interface cabling to TI)

The same situation with the XB27 Suite. No CALL functions anymore.

2. I opened the earlier one XB and changed to chipsets again (the not approved ones),

then the module worked again with the CALL functions >> I saved this config to disk

(to see if I reload this config to the other module to see if it fixes it).

3. saved it back to the original chipsets (I used the other original XB27 module)

still no CALL functions

4. I tried to use the module with the (not approved chipsets) again

and to my surprise now this module also does not have the CALL functions

anymore? (and I cannot get it to work). I do not understand the logic what can

caused it? (maybe the Save function in GROMCFG? but that one only should read data)

I put back the original chips in this module (still no CALL functions).

5. I notices there are jumpurs on the module:

> write enable/disable

> reset

> another one

Both modules have the same jumper settings.

Is there something here what need to be resetted ?

I also unplug and plug-in back the XB27 Chip and the Atmal chip,

no successful result.

6. Or try the "042815XB27 DIS/FIX 128 file" once available

(or is it somewhere located on the forum (note the 0428....dsk contains a 0426 file)

The CRC-16 for the 042815XB27.dsk file is >9D37.

I'm not able to duplicate the Decimal to Hex issue as mentioned by a couple of people. I downloaded the dsk file after I uploaded it to reflash my cart and everything worked properly. As some were able to upgrade their carts and not have this problem, it appears to be on the user's end. Everyone DOES know you have to wait about 2 seconds before the Decimal to Hex program gets to the keyscan, correct?

Gazoo

Edited by Gazoo

Dec-Hex is the only program that doesn't work on the XB27 cart. I select it from the menu, wait a couple of seconds, press one of the listed keys and nothing happens. No key works, Quit doesn't work. It was the same with the original XB27BOOT update and with 042815XB27.dsk . They both said the update ran successfully .

Some other hardware conflict?

Dec-Hex is the only program that doesn't work on the XB27 cart. I select it from the menu, wait a couple of seconds, press one of the listed keys and nothing happens. No key works, Quit doesn't work. It was the same with the original XB27BOOT update and with 042815XB27.dsk . They both said the update ran successfully .

Some other hardware conflict?

I just got a pm from someone that successfully updated their cart and everything works ok, including the catalog functions and Decimal-To-Hex.

Decimal-To-Hex doesn't rely on any hardware other than some sort of 32k card. It loads exactly the same way Ernie & Bert loads, both are XB programs.

I'm going to download the file one more time and load it on a 'zeroed out 1284p' cart to see what happens. I expect it will work fine, as it has for most people. I'm thinking along the lines that those that are having problems aren't getting a good transfer from their PC to TI. The data file IS quite large, and might be the problem with the transfer from PC to TI. Since I can't duplicate the problem, it may be up to someone that has the problem to figure out the solution and provide it to others.

Gazoo

Ok, so I downloaded the disk image again, made a fresh TI disk with it, and reloaded a zeroed-out-1284p cart with it.

Everything works as it should. Therefore the disk file posted here is good.

If you are having some sort of problem updating your cart, there are 4 possibilities:

1. You're not getting a valid download from Atariage. The CRC-16 for the 042815XB27.dsk file is >9D37.

2. Something is not working correctly in the process when you transfer the file from your PC to a real TI disk.

3. Something in your TI system is not working correctly, not surprising for a 30+ year old computer.

4. You're doing something wrong.

The only thing I can help you with is #4. The correct process is detailed below:

Use this disk image: http://atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=389551

Load the EA5 program GROMCFG. There are 3 ways to do this:

1. Select Extended Basic v2.7 from the menu, it will run LOAD, which will load GROMCFG.

2. Select TI Writer/Assembler, press 6 for RUN PROGRAM FILE, type 'DSK1.GROMCFG', press enter.

3. Select TI BASIC, type 'OLD DSK1.BASICLOAD', press enter, type 'RUN', press enter.

After GROMCFG is loaded Press ctrl-L.

Answer Y to 'Are you sure?'

Filename: DSK1.042615XB27

Press <enter>

It will take several minutes. Press quit when done.

Your cart should work correctly on all functions at this point. If it doesn't, go back and check possibilities 1 through 3.

Gazoo

Globeron, maybe you have an issue on your nanoPEB ?

Can you, first action after successfully updating the XB27, test it without the nanoPEB for a time ?

(sorry if i am totally wrong in my thoughts)

(yeah, maybe you need this 32K from the nanoPEB for the XB27?)

Ralf

Globeron, maybe you have an issue on your nanoPEB ?

The Nano can be flaky, but in this case I doubt the Nano is at fault. I'm using a P-Box and have the same exact issue with that one program. The rest of the cartridge seems to work fine.

I'm having way too much fun with this new update to care anyway! :)

I re downloaded and reburned the 28th zip, gromcfg ran from TIW/EA run menu, loaded the image with gromcfg did a cold boot (all power off, all power on) this is 4/a with f18a and nanopeb

dec to hex works fine

call dm2k from tibasic.. locks

old "dm2k" from tibasic works

run "dm2k" from xb27 works

call dm2k from xb27 locks

I re downloaded and reburned the 28th zip, gromcfg ran from TIW/EA run menu, loaded the image with gromcfg did a cold boot (all power off, all power on) this is 4/a with f18a and nanopeb

dec to hex works fine

in an attempt to figure out if it's the cart i zeroed out all my grom banks on my module with ff's (saved one bank of empty then loaded it over all the grom banks) now im unable to load gromcfg with basicload.. just locks..

will try this on my 4/a without f18a and with standard peb next

Greg

Edited by arcadeshopper

dec to hex works fine

The ones you reported as locking work fine on a standard TI.

Gazoo

in an attempt to figure out if it's the cart i zeroed out all my grom banks on my module with ff's (saved one bank of empty then loaded it over all the grom banks) now im unable to load gromcfg with basicload.. just locks..

will try this on my 4/a without f18a and with standard peb next

Greg

basicload locks on that ti too.. just runs and didn't even try to load gromcfg copying old basicload from older version over

basicload locks on that ti too.. just runs and didn't even try to load gromcfg copying old basicload from older version over

old basicload from the file xb27upgrade.dsk works

but that crashed on loading the grom A and now i have a hosed cart, need to reprogram the atmel from the programmer as it has no auto-recovery :)

BASICLOAD is what I used to restore my zeroed-out-1284p cart. It worked fine. You know that you can't zero out the area from >1E000 to >1FFFF, correct? That's the OS for the 1284P.

Gazoo

EDIT: Greg, I'd be interested in the operation of the cart when you burn the files I recently posted with your programmer and then try the cart with the Nano or CF7. Those 2 pieces of hardware are looking more and more likely to be the source of the problem when trying to flash the 1284p in console.

Edited by Gazoo
  • Like 1

BASICLOAD is what I used to restore my zeroed-out-1284p cart. It worked fine. You know that you can't zero out the area from >1E000 to >1FFFF, correct? That's the OS for the 1284P.

Gazoo

EDIT: Greg, I'd be interested in the operation of the cart when you burn the files I recently posted with your programmer and then try the cart with the Nano or CF7. Those 2 pieces of hardware are looking more and more likely to be the source of the problem when trying to flash the 1284p in console.

Doin it now

I tried the update again on my cart, which has now been verified to be an original cart made by Gazoo (I wasn't sure about the origin before). This time I used my Lotharec HxC drive instead of the nanoPEB.

I still can't press any options in Dec-2-Hex although the menu comes up, and any of the CALL commands lock the computer. Same stuff as reported by others...

Could the AVR code have gone bad? Unfortunately I don't have the equipment to reprogram it.

Anyway, all important stuff is working, and I'm crazy about the dir command in the latest update. :)

• Like 1

Ok burned those images.. calls work with the exception of dm2.. doesn't work with call or run.. runs fine from the menu tried everything else :)

both the nanopeb f18a TI and the peb TI..

I see the DM2 issue, it must have been present for a while. I've fixed that, but am not going to post that quite yet. Both the in-console upgrade and the burning files should exhibit that same behavior.

I'm more interested in the other results. Did your DM2K issue go away?

Both ways of upgrading the cart should result in the cart behaving in exactly the same way. The burning files were created from the in-console upgrade files, with the addition of the 8k of AVR operating system. I get the exact same results with either set of files, so any variance between the 2 ways of upgrading the cart is still pointing to possibilities 2, 3, or 4 in message #306.

Gazoo

I tried the update again on my cart, which has now been verified to be an original cart made by Gazoo (I wasn't sure about the origin before). This time I used my Lotharec HxC drive instead of the nanoPEB.

I still can't press any options in Dec-2-Hex although the menu comes up, and any of the CALL commands lock the computer. Same stuff as reported by others...

Could the AVR code have gone bad? Unfortunately I don't have the equipment to reprogram it.

Anyway, all important stuff is working, and I'm crazy about the dir command in the latest update. :)

There may be an issue with the Lotharec device also, as your problem matches Omega's. He also has one of those devices. Chances are using a real floppy will resolve the issue.

Gazoo

I see the DM2 issue, it must have been present for a while. I've fixed that, but am not going to post that quite yet. Both the in-console upgrade and the burning files should exhibit that same behavior.

I'm more interested in the other results. Did your DM2K issue go away?

Both ways of upgrading the cart should result in the cart behaving in exactly the same way. The burning files were created from the in-console upgrade files, with the addition of the 8k of AVR operating system. I get the exact same results with either set of files, so any variance between the 2 ways of upgrading the cart is still pointing to possibilities 2, 3, or 4 in message #306.

Gazoo

Yes everything else works

Greg

There may be an issue with the Lotharec device also, as your problem matches Omega's. He also has one of those devices. Chances are using a real floppy will resolve the issue.

Gazoo

I can test this on my PEB 4/a now that I have a working cart again. I will try the soft upgrade from a disk.. I'm leaning towards the issue being the image or gromcfg not the device used to store the update..

I can test this on my PEB 4/a now that I have a working cart again. I will try the soft upgrade from a disk.. I'm leaning towards the issue being the image or gromcfg not the device used to store the update..

Locks up on grom a.. something in my peb system is unhappy with gromcfg i think