IGNORED

Extended Basic v2.7 Suite Cartridge

Gazoo

Complete package official release of XB v2.7 Suite. Includes everything needed to upgrade your cartridge to the latest version. The docs also have been updated.

Cool. The docs say that the upgrade can only be performed with a real 40 or 80 track FD. I'm running the HxC in disk 1 & 2 and a 3.5" drive in disk 3 of my PEB and TI FDC. How can I run the upgrade using this h/w?

Thanks.

Edited by wyerd

Cool. The docs say that the upgrade can only be performed with a real 40 or 80 track FD. I'm running the HxC in disk 1 & 2 and a 3.5" drive in disk 3 of my PEB and TI FDC. How can I run the upgrade using this h/w?

Thanks.

A real floppy is recommended because it is known to work, other hardware may work. You could try with your HxC and see if it works, or just use DSK3.

Gazoo

A real floppy is recommended because it is known to work, other hardware may work. You could try with your HxC and see if it works, or just use DSK3.

I'll give it a go when I'm back home in a few weeks time and as long as they're formatted to 40 tracks using the version posted?

I'll give it a go when I'm back home in a few weeks time and as long as they're formatted to 40 tracks using the version posted?

Yes, there was a problem during the beta testing when an individual put a 40 track disk in an 80 track drive connected to a TI FDC with the 80 track mod. That combination is unhealthy, always put the correct disk in a drive connected to a TI FDC 80 track controller. I've put the files in order on the disk so as to prevent the program files from loading if someone were to try that again, so it's not a big concern anymore.

Gazoo

Out of curiosity, is there anything special about the real floppy drives, or is it just that we know stock hardware will work? FWIW, I have had success using the Myarc 512k RAM disk in DSK emulation mode.

I don't have the slightest clue, just going off the reports of users that have the unusual stuff. If someone reports that 'I have this unusual item, and this unusual item, and this unusual item, and this unusual item, and everything works' - then we can assume that non-standard hardware has nothing to do with the process.

You wanna make a list of what works and what doesn't? ;)

Gazoo

The invocation that worked for me (under Linux) was: "avrdude -p m1284p -c avrisp2 -U eeprom:w:XB27\ Suite\ EEprom\ 050915.bin -U flash:w:XB27\ Suite\ 128k\ Flash\ 050915.bin -U lfuse:w:0xC2:m -U hfuse:w:0xD8:m -U efuse:w:0xFC"

The 49xxx EEPROM was burned the usual way using "XB27 Suite 512k Rom 050915.bin"

Hmmm... Which level magic spell is this? Looks chaotic at the very least, if not overtly evil...

(Sorry for digression. I just couldn't resist!)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have the slightest clue, just going off the reports of users that have the unusual stuff. If someone reports that 'I have this unusual item, and this unusual item, and this unusual item, and this unusual item, and everything works' - then we can assume that non-standard hardware has nothing to do with the process.

Upgrade worked using HxC as DSK1 -- green verification screen. The .hfe was created from your .dsk as DSSD (40-track).

Disk controller is a non-80-track-modified TI controller (although the 80-track EPROMs should be arriving today -- curse the TL866 for not programming 2532As even with a 2732 socket adapter). PEB has only a completely stock TI RS232 controller. Interface card had its 74LS244s replaced with 74ACT244s (*not* HCT ... I don't quite understand why HCT was chosen over ACT). PEB is interfaced through a speech synthesizer.

Console has a F18A, an on-board 16-bit 32k upgrade, and overclocked to NTSC colorburst speed.

So ... I guess I'm saying "it worked for me with my unusual items".

Hmmm... Which level magic spell is this? Looks chaotic at the very least, if not overtly evil...

(Sorry for digression. I just couldn't resist!)

Calling out suspected heresy by a techmage/servitor is *never* off-topic, brother, and the Emperor rewards vigilance.

(or, alternate interpretation, the alignment required to cast that particular spell is at least "neutral good" from Atmel's point-of-view. Which interpretation you choose depends on whether you prefer AD&D or 40k ...)

Upgrade worked using HxC as DSK1 -- green verification screen. The .hfe was created from your .dsk as DSSD (40-track).

Disk controller is a non-80-track-modified TI controller (although the 80-track EPROMs should be arriving today -- curse the TL866 for not programming 2532As even with a 2732 socket adapter). PEB has only a completely stock TI RS232 controller. Interface card had its 74LS244s replaced with 74ACT244s (*not* HCT ... I don't quite understand why HCT was chosen over ACT). PEB is interfaced through a speech synthesizer.

Console has a F18A, an on-board 16-bit 32k upgrade, and overclocked to NTSC colorburst speed.

So ... I guess I'm saying "it worked for me with my unusual items".

...maybe you could try it now again, with a nanoPEB ? (but I think you don´t have one, reading about your excellent equipment here :)

yes, if HxC-drive is configured in the right way, it is 1:1 a Shugard-drive to the TI, nothing else. Should work in any condition.

• Like 1

...maybe you could try it now again, with a nanoPEB ? (but I think you don´t have one, reading about your excellent equipment here icon_smile.gif

Oh, I have a nanoPEB ... I just don't like it. Nice concept, but horrible execution.

Having to desolder and lift the power pin to the RAM chip to get it to play nice with my console's 32k internal 16-bit RAM expansion was understandable.

Not having a protective case to keep it safe ... okay, it's low-volume hobbyist gear, I can see that.

Having to buy a raftload of (obsolete, not-cheap) CF cards to find one that will peacefully coexist with the nanoPEB IDE<->CF bridge is somewhat annoying and a waste of money.

Having to resolder every connection on the board until I found the cold joint(s) that was preventing the system from powering up 90% of the time ... that's going past annoying and rapidly approaching "this was a bad purchase" territory.

Not being able to dump the logic from the Xilinx CPLD because the part was EOL'ed about ten years ago and I can find no tool to do so ... now we're into firmly "I don't want to depend on this" territory, and I then sourced a real PEB from eBay.

But, yeah, I can test XB27 upgrades via nanoPEB if nobody else can. "Can", mind you, not "want to".

• Like 1

Surprised that you can't program a TMS 2532/TMS2532A on your MiniPro. I have a 2732/2532 adapter that works just fine. Select TMS2732A to program the chip.

So was I. I built a stacked two-socket adaptor, crossed pins 18/20/21, verified proper continuity, and the blasted MiniPro still gives a "Overcurrent / backwards chip" error using TMS2732A. Programming voltage verified to be 21VDC, per (ancient) datasheet.

Could be a bad batch of chips (eBay), or my TL866 may really be junk. Still works with 27©64 and up, though.

If the chips are from China, they are likely counterfeits. I usually use US sources when I can find the chips at a decent price. BTW, I can do 80-track updates (Hummingbird EPROMs).

They are from China. They're probably bad.

As I said earlier, I'm expecting a pair of 80-track EPROMs to be delivered today, so I'm good there -- thanks for offering. What I'd *really* like, though, is Thierry's fixed RS232 EPROMs. ArcadeShopper (where I sourced the 80-track EPROMs) has them in the list, but they're not a purchase option, so I was really hoping that I could get these 2532As to work :(

They are from China. They're probably bad.

As I said earlier, I'm expecting a pair of 80-track EPROMs to be delivered today, so I'm good there -- thanks for offering. What I'd *really* like, though, is Thierry's fixed RS232 EPROMs. ArcadeShopper (where I sourced the 80-track EPROMs) has them in the list, but they're not a purchase option, so I was really hoping that I could get these 2532As to work :(

Let me see what I can do for those

Greg

Let me see what I can do for those

Greg

Talked with Bob and there are a few options for doing this, one of which is software programmable from the TI.. http://www.unige.ch/medecine/nouspikel/ti99/eeproms.htm#RS232%20card

has details.

Greg

Edited by arcadeshopper

XBv27 060315.zip

Update to fix problem with recovery program which was causing some people's carts to behave erratically. The update option by holding the equals key upon powerup has been disabled. No functionality has been lost, updating is still done through the normal process. Thanks to those that helped track down the issue.

Gazoo

Edited by Gazoo
  • Like 2

Hi Gazoo,

Today I found the issue I had (1x module always showing the red GROM verifier issue and the other module everything green).

Conclusion: it is a chip issue (the large XB 27 Suite Chip). It is the original one you send over.

I can send you the pictures of the boards (but I do not how to included them here in Atari-age)

Problem determination process

1. Opened-up both modules

(Hardware is the same, with a slight change, 1 module has some pins, the other one not)

(the group of 2-3-8 pins)

The other difference is the wording on the chip "8315FMP / AM25LS07PC" (original)

and the other "AM25LS07PC / 8302DMP"

but that was not the problem (just wondered why there is a difference)

2. I swapped the large XB 27 suite and the smaller atmel xb 27

(in both boards and also combinations of them).

The issue still remained with the "failing XB 27 suite chip"

(chip type 3x3033-35452B 1-F1404-63 or 83 and a "LC H" indicator)

(always a red colour, but everything else works, the CALLs, etc.)

I noticed that the other original one indicates "LC F"

3. Then I got the (3rd) "fake" chip back into it (just to try), but it has exactly the same chip number (and LC H) on the chip.

(used the original little XB27 atmel chip with it). Upgraded with 060315XB27, everything is okay and green.

tried with the "fake" little atmel chip, still all okay.

4. Tried back the "original XB27 Suite Chip (large one), red GROM verifier errors.

It is something to do with the chip.

5. I can send you all the pictures of the chips if you want ?

Question:

>> What is the best way to do? (to use the "fake" chip, where everything is green and everything works?)

>> or to go back to the "original" chip which gives "Red GROM verification", but everything works as well.

>> both chips are "LC H" versions.

I think more people might have this issue with a bad type of chip?

But luckily we now know that it is the chip giving the red color.

>> Edit - Photos:

www.globeron.com/freedownload/services/TI99/XB27-Chips-Comparison.zip

Edited by globeron
  • Like 1

Just so everyone is aware, there is no big secret to the verification program. The source is posted below. It's pretty simple, it reads every byte of Grom in the cart (except the last two) and adds them together in a running total. It then reads the last two bytes of Grom and compares them to the previously calculated sum. (thank you Insane Multitasker for showing me a similar procedure for the MDOS crc check!) It then adds all the words in the Rom and compares that sum against 2 valid values (yes there are 2 Rom versions, the difference is insignificant) The code is uncommented for the most part but should be pretty easy to see what's going on (I generally don't comment my code if it's painfully obvious what's going on).

If both checks pass, you get a green screen. If not, there's something wrong with the cart or your system. Note that I was having problems with this until I reseated every connection in my system, all pbox cards, 'foot', everything!

So if you're having problems, don't immediately think there's something wrong with the cart, it could very possibly be that there's something wrong with your TI.

Gazoo

DEF START Show where program starts.

REF VSBW,VWTR,VMBW,KSCAN
START B @START1 Go to actual start of program.
VALUE1 DATA >0000
VALUE2 DATA >0000
VALUE3 DATA >C892
VALUE4 DATA >0000
VALUE5 DATA >C88F
UNDER DATA >00FF,>0000,>0000,>0000
WR BSS >20
H03 BYTE >03
MSG1 TEXT 'CARTRIDGE GROM VERIFIER '
TEXT '-----------------------'
MSG2 TEXT 'Calculating...'
MSG3 TEXT 'Extended Basic v2.7 Suite '
TEXT 'Cartridge Grom is verified.'
MSG4 TEXT 'compromised!'
MSG5 TEXT 'Do not use the cartridge until '
TEXT 'the problem is resolved!'
MSG6 TEXT '< Press space bar to exit >'
MSG1A TEXT 'CARTRIDGE ROM VERIFIER '
TEXT '---------------------- '
MSG3A TEXT 'Extended Basic v2.7 Suite '
TEXT 'Cartridge Rom is verified. '
EVEN
START1 LWPI WR Load workspace.
LI R0,>0180 Set VDP register 1.
BLWP @VWTR
LI R0,>0707 Set VDP register 7.
BLWP @VWTR
LI R0,>0380 Get ready to load color table.
LI R1,>1010 Set reg. 1 to color >10.
TABLE BLWP @VSBW Load 1 byte.
INC R0 Increment one byte.
CI R0,>03A0 Done yet?
JNE TABLE No, load another byte.
LI R0,>0968
LI R1,UNDER
LI R2,8
BLWP @VMBW
NOP
LI R0,>0024
LI R1,MSG1