IGNORED

Extended Basic v2.7 Suite Cartridge

Gazoo

gallery_29515_833_31238.jpg

Might as well combine both verifiers into one. ;)

Just have to cram it into the cartridge Grom now...

Gazoo

Hi Gazoo,

* green ROM verification screen using both XB27 modules (running the May 6, 2015) version.

(and also green doing the XB27NOMENU and 050615XB27 upgrade) all Green

* F6 GROM verification, both red colour again

* both chipsets have the same number:

1. 3X3033-35452B and 1-F1404 03 (at the bottom of the chip)

(I also figured out for the replacement module that the chip was not pressed until the bottom, I pushed a bit harder as it was loose,

so this module was a wonder it was working). The other module everything looked okay to me.

2. Still same situation (after the upgrades and verifications - BEFORE turning off the TI-99/4A)

Option W - Dec-2-Hex works

CALL NYANYA in XB works, CALL MOUNT for NanoPEB etc.

3. after turn on/off the console, then I loose the CALL functions again and also Dec-2-Hex hangs (I only see the titlescreen)

4. Question: I see jumpers on the XB27 suite cartridge, and not sure what it means, but is this a "Write lock" or something like that.

(e.g. It looks to me that something is not stored permanently on the module? or in a kind of RAM or FLASH memory, which disappears

after the turn on/off the console).

5. Or something during the "boot" process of the module, it maybe wipes something ?

(Is there a difference in starting the module when pressing FCTN-= QUIT, like a WARM reset)

vs a hard reset (button off / on) ?

6. I am now going to the last recommendation, I pulled the 20 kg? kilo PEB box with ventilator noise

from the store-room now, and try to save everything to a diskette and try to do it again, to see

if it makes a difference (thus NanoPEB vs real-solid-TI-PEB)

Just kidding, thanks for all the good work, I learnt a lot more about the modules, memory, chips during

this process, very interesting (also I have been watching the videos of Craig Miller on Youtube, but the

voice is hard to hear)

I am trying to get the 050615XB27.dsk transferred via an RS232 connection and VDM99 via the PEB to the disk,

but trying for 2 hours and not being able to manage it yet (it could be a disk-drive, or disk problem/media problems),

normally it works.

Also I was incorrect that the nano-Peb was causing the blank screen issue when starting the TI (this is the console doing it).

I will try other consoles tomorrow. I noticed that the QI-version reacts differently to the XB27NoMenu.dsk (where the other

consoles hang, this one gets it loading). I need to find a way to isolate the issue, the verifiers are really helpful.

Hi Gazoo,

* green ROM verification screen using both XB27 modules (running the May 6, 2015) version.

(and also green doing the XB27NOMENU and 050615XB27 upgrade) all Green

* F6 GROM verification, both red colour again

* both chipsets have the same number:

1. 3X3033-35452B and 1-F1404 03 (at the bottom of the chip)

(I also figured out for the replacement module that the chip was not pressed until the bottom, I pushed a bit harder as it was loose,

so this module was a wonder it was working). The other module everything looked okay to me.

2. Still same situation (after the upgrades and verifications - BEFORE turning off the TI-99/4A)

Option W - Dec-2-Hex works

CALL NYANYA in XB works, CALL MOUNT for NanoPEB etc.

3. after turn on/off the console, then I loose the CALL functions again and also Dec-2-Hex hangs (I only see the titlescreen)

4. Question: I see jumpers on the XB27 suite cartridge, and not sure what it means, but is this a "Write lock" or something like that.

(e.g. It looks to me that something is not stored permanently on the module? or in a kind of RAM or FLASH memory, which disappears

after the turn on/off the console).

5. Or something during the "boot" process of the module, it maybe wipes something ?

(Is there a difference in starting the module when pressing FCTN-= QUIT, like a WARM reset)

vs a hard reset (button off / on) ?

6. I am now going to the last recommendation, I pulled the 20 kg? kilo PEB box with ventilator noise

from the store-room now, and try to save everything to a diskette and try to do it again, to see

if it makes a difference (thus NanoPEB vs real-solid-TI-PEB)

Just kidding, thanks for all the good work, I learnt a lot more about the modules, memory, chips during

this process, very interesting (also I have been watching the videos of Craig Miller on Youtube, but the

voice is hard to hear)

There are only a few jumpers that need to be set. The two 3 pin headers on either side of the 74LS378 chip should have their jumpers set on pins 1 & 2. The 'Reset" header (the one laying down flat against the board) should also have a jumper on it.

After I flash the cartridge, I always press fctn-quit, then turn off the console for a few seconds. I've discovered over the years that when you change anything on a TI, you need to let it 'settle in'. I then turn the console back on and wait about 10 seconds before doing the verifier check. This always produces the best results.

Gazoo

That would have been embarrassing, but no, it's not the Alpha lock key. Here is a screen shot.

attachicon.gifDSCF3443.JPG

It seems to me to be some sort of hardware issue. First upgrade your cart with the final release so you can do the complete integrity check. http://atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=391068 If that succeeds, try my suggestions below.

The first thing you can try is to make the 'W' selection to load Dec-2-Hex and immediately press and hold F4 to break the program. This was shown in the Chicago Faire demo. The menu screen is drawn in assembly code before the Extended Basic program is executed, so it shows that you're at least getting the assembly part of the code. The only time you can break the program is right before the Extended Basic program begins execution. After the program execution has been interrupted, try listing it. You should get a normal looking XB program. You can run it at this point, but you won't get the menu to re-display. That's ok, just press a number from 1 to 6 and the display will come back.

If you have any non-stock items in your system, I suggest starting with a completely stock minimal TI system - Unmodded console, Pbox with 32k and TI disk controller with real floppy drive. Everything should work fine with this setup. Then add your non-stock items until it stops working and you've found the culprit. It may help others with similar problems to find the piece of hardware that isn't playing by the rules.

Gazoo

Edited by Gazoo

I get a GROM verification error with the latest update after pressing F6. [Edit: probably got an error in the previous version too, I didn't realize I had to press F6, I thought the green screen with F7 was enough.]

I have tried updating with both a real PEB and a nanoPEB 2 times each with different copies of the disk file.

The cart is working as usual, with Dec2Hex and CALLs not functioning. I cannot break into Dec2Hex - it's probably not getting as far as running the BASIC program.

I notice that I have RAM at base 9804:6+8 now, is that expected? I think it used to be in a later bank.

I get a GROM verification error with the latest update after pressing F6. [Edit: probably got an error in the previous version too, I didn't realize I had to press F6, I thought the green screen with F7 was enough.]

I have tried updating with both a real PEB and a nanoPEB 2 times each with different copies of the disk file.

The cart is working as usual, with Dec2Hex and CALLs not functioning. I cannot break into Dec2Hex - it's probably not getting as far as running the BASIC program.

I notice that I have RAM at base 9804:6+8 now, is that expected? I think it used to be in a later bank.

The Gram banks are now in page 2 instead of page 9. This is for the BOOT function. The XB 2.7 Suite menu autostart is on page 4. When the BOOT option is chosen, it is loaded in page 2 with it's own autostart so it happens before the XB 2.7 Suite menu autostart.

Gazoo

Yeah, I cannot get a verifiable installation on any hardware: stock 4A with PEB and TI 32k card, Myarc 512k card (though I did make some huge discoveries about using this card,) from a floppy or RAM disk, with or without the WHT SCSI card, but I do only have a BwG floppy controller. I suppose I could pull out the travel TI with the CF7+, but at this point I am more inclined to just send you my cart or wait until the Faire as the major features I need right now work just fine.

Hi Rasmus,

Can you help to try these steps to see if you have the same result (to verify if CALL functions first work, then dissapear)?

(do not turn off the console in step 1 and 2)

1. Load the "XB27NOMENU.dsk" (image is somewhere in this thread)

(test in XB the CALL NYANYA function), then FCTN-= (QUIT)

Expected result: it works (and all other tools as well DEC-2-HEX, etc)

2. Load the latest 060515XB27.dsk (or 090515XB27.dsk)

3. turn off/on the console

Expected result: now CALL functions and DEC-2-HEX does not work anymore

4. The only way to get the CALL function to work again, is to always to make use of step 1 first

(there is something in XB27NOMENU that triggers it to get the CALL functions to work again,

if you directly upgrade using later dsk then the CALL functions will not work from the start)

There are only a few jumpers that need to be set. The two 3 pin headers on either side of the 74LS378 chip should have their jumpers set on pins 1 & 2. The 'Reset" header (the one laying down flat against the board) should also have a jumper on it.

After I flash the cartridge, I always press fctn-quit, then turn off the console for a few seconds. I've discovered over the years that when you change anything on a TI, you need to let it 'settle in'. I then turn the console back on and wait about 10 seconds before doing the verifier check. This always produces the best results.

Gazoo

Thank you to check. The jumper settings are correct on both cartridges

The upgrade is a persistent one.

1. I managed to get the 050915XB27.dsk via VDM99, via RS232, via PEB to a normal diskette.

(Setup, TI-99/4A, PEB-box, 32K, P-Code, TI-DskCtrl, 2x 5.25 Floppy Diskdrives, 1x Interface/flat cable)

2. GROM Verification "Cartridge Grom is compromised", but the ROM verification is "verified".

(Red colour screen)

3. TIBASIC, BASICLOAD can load, but list shows some garbage, but I cannot run this program.

-----

4. Changed the TI-99/4A to another one (silver black), but the difference is that during power on the screen

does not blank out (which the other console did only the 1st time when you turn it on, no clue what is causing it)

5. Now TIBASIC BASICLOAD works with the PEB and disk drive

changed back to nanoPEB (now the BASICLOAD hangs during startup)

(So there is a difference between PEB+32K and nanoPEB)

Back to PEB and BASICLOAD still works

6. I noticed in the GRAMCFG, I do not see "FLASH" anymore in the registers, and RAM0 and RAM1 are on 9804.

7. both XB27 suite modules have the same result.

8. If I understand it correctly, the only difference now are the chipset Gazoo is using vs the ones we use correct ?

(or is there a difference in the little ATMEL chip as well?)

Or has the Flashing something to do with this in the GROMCFG ?

I have no clue what this means either

(F7 -> Advanced)

^B Bases : on

^R Recovery: on

^G Rollover: off

^F Flash Dev: On

Not sure if this has something to do with it:

I see also a difference here

(F7 -> Advanced)

^G Rollover: on

^F Flash Dev: off

Back prohibited

then press ^F

^F Flash Dev: on

F9 Back comes back

FCTN QUIT

reload via XB GROMCFG

now base 983C at E has Flash indicated again

and this one changed to:

(F7 -> Advanced)

Tested:

(F7 -> Advanced)

^R Recovery: off

You will see the "back prohibited" and the "flash off" if you go into the advanced menu after performing the flash.

But you shouldn't go there after performing the flash, you should just press fctn-quit. That way you don't have the chance of changing the options as required by the cartridge. The options are set as required during the flash process and are contained in the first word of the EEprom, changing them might cause the cartridge not to work.

This word is set to >05FA per the specs in the Ubergrom manual.

Gazoo

• Like 1

FYI

Just loaded up the 5/9 version of Gazoos fabulous software.

Did the verification process - grom and rom verified good, green screen.

I prefer my boot to load from disk 3. Using a sector editor I change the dsk1 to dsk3.

Reloaded 5/9. Ran verification. Grom unhappy. Rom happy.

But we know why, don't we.

Just shows that verification process works awesomely just like the cart itself.

Gazoo is the man!

• Like 1

FYI

Just loaded up the 5/9 version of Gazoos fabulous software.

Did the verification process - grom and rom verified good, green screen.

I prefer my boot to load from disk 3. Using a sector editor I change the dsk1 to dsk3.

Reloaded 5/9. Ran verification. Grom unhappy. Rom happy.

But we know why, don't we.

Just shows that verification process works awesomely just like the cart itself.

Gazoo is the man!

If all you did was change a '1' to a '3' in the file, you can fix the Grom verification.

Search for the hex string '7F80044D454E5500'. The last 2 bytes in this sector will be >EAA3. Change them to >EAA5.

Reflash and the Grom will verify.

Gazoo

Hi Rasmus,

Can you help to try these steps to see if you have the same result (to verify if CALL functions first work, then dissapear)?

(do not turn off the console in step 1 and 2)

1. Load the "XB27NOMENU.dsk" (image is somewhere in this thread)

2. Load the latest 060515XB27.dsk (or 090515XB27.dsk)

3. turn off/on the console

Expected result: now CALL functions and DEC-2-HEX does not work anymore

4. The only way to get the CALL function to work again, is to always to make use of step 1 first

(there is something in XB27NOMENU that triggers it to get the CALL functions to work again,

if you directly upgrade using later dsk then the CALL functions will not work from the start)

Yep, I get the exact same results. But there is more: after step 2 I pressed F6 to verify the cart, and as you can see from the image it succeeded:

post-35226-0-63829700-1431266272_thumb.jpg

But after turning the power off and on again it was back to normal:

post-35226-0-23635200-1431266289_thumb.jpg

Do we have bad EEPROMS or something?

• Like 1

Yep, I get the exact same results. But there is more: after step 2 I pressed F6 to verify the cart, and as you can see from the image it succeeded:

attachicon.gifDSCF3444.JPG

But after turning the power off and on again it was back to normal:

attachicon.gifDSCF3445.JPG

Do we have bad EEPROMS or something?

It looks like you're writing to the 1284P chip correctly, but maybe the ability to write to the flash is not being turned off?

You could check the setting in GROMCFG after you flash the chip. Press F7 for advanced and check the 'Flash Dev' setting. It should be off. If not, turn it off. The 4 choices on the F7 page should be from the top down - ON, ON, ON, OFF. You might even try toggling the 'Flash Dev' setting a few times, stopping at 'OFF'.

Maybe Tursi can chime in here with another idea, but it looks as if the 1284p is somehow being written to during power down or power up.

I wonder if pulling out the cart after it verifies ok is an option?

Maybe we could come up with a freestanding program to send the code to turn off the flash several times to make sure it was off?

Gazoo

Edited by Gazoo
  • Like 1