IGNORED

Extended Basic v2.7 Suite Cartridge

Gazoo

The choices on my cart are: on, on, off, on. If I change the last (flash) to 'off' it goes back to 'on' again after quitting and running GROMCFG again. After installing the 'no menu' version the choices are on, off, on, off - at least until I turn off the power.

> I had the same green screen 1x, like Rasmus (doing the verification) and the red one after power off / on.

> but now I am unable to get it back (not sure if that has to do with removing the cartridge from the console, when everything was on)

> Tried the ^F few times, but when Flash is off, then it is not possible to go back in the menu, until you turn it on , but I could press FCTN-Quit

> Pulled out the cart, during XB mode... (had to power down everything, console and nanopeb to get the module back running)

> after this not being able to get a green screen anymore.

Questions:

1 > Writing to EEPROM like in your video is very fast compared to writing to GROM, is that correct?

2 > when the config is pushed, you overwrite everything on the module correct?

(because I try to understand when the XB27NOMENU is loaded then all functions work

it triggers something to get CALL features to work (but it has the same issues off/on will loose these features)

but when using any other image as an initial image then these CALL functions never come back.

It looks like you're writing to the 1284P chip correctly, but maybe the ability to write to the flash is not being turned off?

You could check the setting in GROMCFG after you flash the chip. Press F7 for advanced and check the 'Flash Dev' setting. It should be off. If not, turn it off. The 4 choices on the F7 page should be from the top down - ON, ON, ON, OFF. You might even try toggling the 'Flash Dev' setting a few times, stopping at 'OFF'.

Maybe Tursi can chime in here with another idea, but it looks as if the 1284p is somehow being written to during power down or power up.

I wonder if pulling out the cart after it verifies ok is an option?

Maybe we could come up with a freestanding program to send the code to turn off the flash several times to make sure it was off?

Gazoo

I misspoke a little here, although it doesn't really matter. The correct settings are ON, OFF, ON, OFF. The middle 2 don't really matter, though, as they have no effect on the operation of this cartridge. The first and last ones are the ones that have to be correct.

Gazoo

> I had the same green screen 1x, like Rasmus (doing the verification) and the red one after power off / on.

> but now I am unable to get it back (not sure if that has to do with removing the cartridge from the console, when everything was on)

> Tried the ^F few times, but when Flash is off, then it is not possible to go back in the menu, until you turn it on , but I could press FCTN-Quit

> Pulled out the cart, during XB mode... (had to power down everything, console and nanopeb to get the module back running)

> after this not being able to get a green screen anymore.

Questions:

1 > Writing to EEPROM like in your video is very fast compared to writing to GROM, is that correct?

2 > when the config is pushed, you overwrite everything on the module correct?

(because I try to understand when the XB27NOMENU is loaded then all functions work

it triggers something to get CALL features to work (but it has the same issues off/on will loose these features)

but when using any other image as an initial image then these CALL functions never come back.

1. Yes, the Grom is 120k and the EEprom is 4k.

2. The only real difference between the menu and nomenu versions is that the menu autostarts on one and not the other. The nomenu version is not needed any longer as the spacebar-on-reset option allows you to see all the REVIEW MODULE LIBRARY pages now. It seems pretty clear that the write-to-flash function is not being turned off on the cartridges that have a problem on power cycling, and it has nothing to do with the data being loaded into the cartridge.

Gazoo

• Like 1

1. Yes, the Grom is 120k and the EEprom is 4k.

2. The only real difference between the menu and nomenu versions is that the menu autostarts on one and not the other. The nomenu version is not needed any longer as the spacebar-on-reset option allows you to see all the REVIEW MODULE LIBRARY pages now. It seems pretty clear that the write-to-flash function is not being turned off on the cartridges that have a problem on power cycling, and it has nothing to do with the data being loaded into the cartridge.

Gazoo

re 2a: I am only able to get the "CALL NYANYA" to work by loading XB27NOMENU as 1st image. If I load any of the other ones as 1st image, it always hangs from the beginning.

but when loading XB27NOMENU first and then the other images, then the "CALL NYANYA" also works on these images (and all other functions) until the power off/on.

the XB27NOMENU image is the only one that has RAM0 at the last memory base (where normally "Flash" is indicated), the other images do not have this.

(but the XB27NOMENU also has a 2nd other RAM0 / RAM1 mapped at other bases). Maybe is that the problem, that the RAM0/Flash are biting each other?

re 2b: For writing to flash or EEPROMs, is there a limitation of how many times you can write to it ?

(or is there wear/tear, I believe I heard that in the video?)

>> EDIT:

with the XB27NOMENU image, after the power off/on, and back in GROMCFG, then the "RAM0" at base 983C is overwritten ? (and Flash ^F is on again)

(as it now shows "E: Flash", like in Tursi video) There are still 9820 6: RAM0 and 8: RAM1

Now with XB27NOMENU the XB27 does not load (hangs), but with review menu library goto menu (select option A XB27)

then load and set with F7

> ON

>OFF

>ON

>OFF

FCTN QUIT

now the CALL functions NYANYA work again.

Thanks Gazoo --> I think we found the issue like you mentioned that the Flash is set back to "ON" again (after power off/on)

Edited by globeron

Got it to work now

After the XBNOMENU upgrade, put it again to:

> ON

>OFF

>ON

>OFF

>> QUIT

then upgrade to 050915XB27

> ON

>OFF

>ON

>OFF

>> QUIT

plug out module

Now it works, CALL NYANYA and the DEC-2-HEX as well.

(TI BASIC - BASICLOAD does not work with NanoPEB, but I saw it working when using the normal PEB)

but the GROM verifier still give a red screen / ROM is okay.

but the module works now as far I can see (as it stored it)

but when going back to GROMCFG (the "FLASH is back to ON)

BTW - everything is done using the NANOPEB

To shorten the procedure.

After loading 050915XB27 config

>F7

> ON

>OFF

>ON

>OFF

>> QUIT

plug out module

Load the GROMCFG again

>F7

> ON

>OFF

>ON

>OFF

>> QUIT

plug out module

Test, it should work now, both my modules work finally.

* except the TI-BASIC BASICLOAD)

* and 1x module has the grom verification page is red (but everything works)

the 2nd module has everything in green

• Like 1

Its the 512k, as I reprogrammed that on the PC and now both tests pass the image I had in the rom was different

Hmm..... that's always been the same image. Nothing has ever been changed since the first official release.

Gazoo

>F7

> ON

>OFF

>ON

>OFF

>> QUIT

plug out module

Load the GROMCFG again

>F7

> ON

>OFF

>ON

>OFF

>> QUIT

plug out module

I wouldn't use the first one until I was able to get everything verified. It may look like everything is working, but there's wrong code in it somewhere and it may cause problems with corrupting other things.

Gazoo

Hmm..... that's always been the same image. Nothing has ever been changed since the first official release.

Gazoo

using vbindiff I find multiple differences between the rom in your latest zip and the old one I used to make my original carts, pretty sure I made all new carts with the included roms, the file from 4/19 seems to be the same as the new one

>F7

> ON

>OFF

>ON

>OFF

>> QUIT

plug out module

Load the GROMCFG again

>F7

> ON

>OFF

>ON

>OFF

>> QUIT

plug out module

Cool, thanks. That also fixed my cartridge. :thumbsup:

I'm glad we were able to work through the upgrade problems. But I'm not sure why some people had to manually turn off the option to write-to-flash.

Is there any special hardware attached to the systems of the people that had that issue - F18A, Nano or CF7, floppy drive emulator?

It would be nice to be able to isolate the problem.

Gazoo

>F7

> ON

>OFF

>ON

>OFF

>> QUIT

plug out module

Load the GROMCFG again

>F7

> ON

>OFF

>ON

>OFF

>> QUIT

plug out module

Now my GROM verifies but ROM fails. Every time I go into F7 in GROMCFG it shows ON, ON, OFF, ON.

HEX2DEC worked once, and now it locks up after the menu as it did before.

Now my GROM verifies but ROM fails. Every time I go into F7 in GROMCFG it shows ON, ON, OFF, ON.

Load the Grom update. Press F7. Press ctrl-F to turn flash OFF. Press quit. Turn off the console. Turn it back on. Try the verifier. You should get ok on Grom and you may get a failure on Rom. I think I know what's going on there and it's ok if YOU "CS1" get a Rom error. DO NOT reload GROMCFG, everything should work ok.

I may need to change the verifier program for the Rom section, this cart is really freaking complicated.

Gazoo

Hi can you try the procedure in #414 to see if that works ? Your DEX2HEX should work, then follow procdure #434

I'm glad we were able to work through the upgrade problems. But I'm not sure why some people had to manually turn off the option to write-to-flash.

Is there any special hardware attached to the systems of the people that had that issue - F18A, Nano or CF7, floppy drive emulator?

It would be nice to be able to isolate the problem.

Gazoo

I think there is something with the NanoPEB involved as well.

* difference between nanoPEB and PEB -- TIBASIC: BASICLOAD does not start (hangs) in NanoPEB, but works fine with PEB

* once I took out the CF-card of nanoPEB (system turned-off), tried another CF-card (which did not work), put the original CF-card back

then also I lost the config again on the XB27 module (not sure what is happening here).

Then following #434 procedure everything is okay again and turn off/on console or nanoPEB all keeps working.

NanoPEB

I am using TI-99/4A --> Speech --> NanoPEB-F18 v1

(not sure how I check which software version is running on the NanoPEB, because I am also having RS232 problems it never worked, see FaceBook)

I also tried without the Speech (no differences), but the main reason I am using this to remove the nanoPEb easier from the TI.

* Maybe the nanoPEB is causing the Flash to set it to on again?

does the XB27 module need to communicate with these components?

> 32K ?

> Diskdrive/with CF-card ?

> RS232 ?

> Firmware/FPGA running on nanoPEB

Not related to the XB27, but maybe it is if software is different on the nanoPEB

* Greg (Arcadeshopper) tested his nanoPEB (for the RS232 problem), same F18-v1 version (not sure if our software is the same)

but he uses an older computer with a normal COM-port.

* I am using a USB-serial (and aware of the issues with these, see Klaus Luckachek videos), but I am using this cable for many years

and works with all devices, routers, switches, APs, etc. (and including the TI-99 PHP 1200 RS232 in PEB and PHP 1700 sidecar), only

not with this nanoPEB (Ralf Schmitz is having the same issues with the RS232 interface). What I find strange is that there is a LIST "PIO"

command (as I do not get an I/O 00 error, but also LIST "RS232.BA=9600.DA=8.PA=N" is working, but the LIST "SIO" give I/O error 00)

(I do not have the "COM1" as this is the TMS9902 serial chipset. COM1 is only for UART).

* Is there a way to upgrade to other sofware on the nano-PEB (I see similar type of chips as the XB27 module is using, like ATMEL).

Load the Grom update. Press F7. Press ctrl-F to turn flash OFF. Press quit. Turn off the console. Turn it back on. Try the verifier. You should get ok on Grom and you may get a failure on Rom. I think I know what's going on there and it's ok if YOU "CS1" get a Rom error. DO NOT reload GROMCFG, everything should work ok.

I may need to change the verifier program for the Rom section, this cart is really freaking complicated.

Gazoo

Worked as advertised. HEX2DEC works properly, now.

I think there is something with the NanoPEB involved as well.

* difference between nanoPEB and PEB -- TIBASIC: BASICLOAD does not start (hangs) in NanoPEB, but works fine with PEB

The only glitch (I think) with the nanoPEB/CF7+ with regard to BASICLOAD (a problem I have, as well) that seems possible is with the 8 bytes of extra memory that needs to be accounted for below the VRAM disk buffering area at the top of VRAM. It is accounted for in >8370 by the nano's DSR, but I don't know whether BASICLOAD or LOAD messes with that space without checking >8370. Perhaps @Gazoo can disabuse us of this possibility. :ponder:

...lee

• Like 2

I have had the same problems both with a nanoPEB and a regular PEB. I may be wrong, but it doesn't appear to be a problem with the surrounding hardware.

The thing I don't understand: GROMCFG needs the FLASH device to be present as far as I understand. That's the reason you can't go back from the F7 menu after turning it off. So how come you can load a cartridge image with the FLASH device turned off? Wouldn't GROMCFG automatically turn it on in order to work?

Another thing: In this thread I was warned not to play around with XB27 cart in GROMCFG:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/235719-configuring-the-ubergrom/?do=findComment&comment=3191124

Since then we have had lots of updates installed using this program. Could there be some incompatibility issue between XB27 and GROMCFG that perhaps only appears only you have 'played around'?

Sorry for jumping in late. I haven't had a chance to investigate the concerns here, but I can provide a few pieces of insight that may help.

First, the "flash device" option in GROMCFG simply changes the configuration of the very last slot on the AVR (that is, GROM port 15, >E000) to have the flash device mapped -- this is the default for GROMCFG and the tool expects it to be there - that's why the advanced menu refuses to let you go back if you turn it off. As Gazoo noted, you should just QUIT after the flash.

if you load GROMCFG again after loading the cartridge, that option will be turned on again, possibly corrupting an existing configuration. (Worse, there is a second option that it hard-forces that I can't recall at the moment. It wasn't necessary in the long run but I believe it affected the cartridge.) After you load a full cartridge, the only thing you should do is QUIT and never load GROMCFG on that cart again. ;) But this is the most likely reason why people have had to change the configuration, I think.

Having the flash device enabled, so long as it's not overwriting something else, is not really a risk to the system. It is, by design of the AVR itself, very difficult to change data in the AVR flash memory, and my code makes it harder still. Flash device commands are written as complemented pairs of bytes, and both have to be correct in both address and data to trigger an action. It's very unlikely that a crash or a glitch can accidentally cause the flash to be modified (and if it did - an entire page of 512 bytes would be changed.)

FYI

Just had my second system hooked up to a nanoPEB. Tried the verify function and grom failed, rom was ok.

Removed nanoPEB and hooked up real iron ti system. Tried verify and cart passed grom and rom. Did not remove cart from console or reload 5/9 xb27. Maybe xb27 and nanoPEB don't play well together?

This was on a system with no f18a on board.

Edited by sparkdrummer

I managed to build an XB2.7 cartridge last night using an UberGROM (thanks, Jim!) and Gazoo's latest image ("XB27 Suite 050915.zip").

My TL866 refused to deal with the 1284P (although it claimed it supported it), but programming with an Atmel SPI programmer via avrdude using the UberGROM's 1284P header block worked fine. Thanks again, Jim, for routing the SPI interface to a header block.

The invocation that worked for me (under Linux) was: "avrdude -p m1284p -c avrisp2 -U eeprom:w:XB27\ Suite\ EEprom\ 050915.bin -U flash:w:XB27\ Suite\ 128k\ Flash\ 050915.bin -U lfuse:w:0xC2:m -U hfuse:w:0xD8:m -U efuse:w:0xFC"

The 49xxx EEPROM was burned the usual way using "XB27 Suite 512k Rom 050915.bin"

Just posting because I didn't see any explicit instructions on how to build this little guy in the 17+ pages on this subject, and I figured posting might save someone else time and pain later on ...

• Like 5