IGNORED

Where to buy a REALLY good SCART cable for my STE ?

huggyone76

Hello !

I owned Atari STE since... 1991. Nowadays I have three STE under my belt (one is standard with 1 Mb, one contains a HxC device, and the last is with CosmosEx and a TOS switcher).

My only "problem" is that I only have ONE SCART cable for the three STE ! Not exactly... I bought cables on eBay but none of these cables give me a good display quality on my TV, only the original one displays a "perfect" picture !

So, where can I find good SCART cables for my STEs ? I live in France and I bought some items from England, Germany, Sweden... So no problem to contact sellers (even if my English is awful, sorry !!!).

Thank you so much for helping me if you can...

I make my own video cables, usually recycle SVGA cables as they are pretty much free and have way over the top shielding.

One thought- are your eBay SCART cables transmitting RGB or composite? An STE video signal contains both, and SCART can handle both, but composite will look worse.

I make my own ST(e) RGB cables for sale. Full RGB, Liycy 8*0.14 cable, 2 meter long, brand new plugs.

Photos and image comparision (modulator vs. composite vs. scart) taken on STE are available

on my Polish auction:

http://allegro.pl/atari-st-ste-kabel-rgb-euro-scart-i4597943437.html

Price is 10Ł (12 euros), shipping with tracking to most EU countries is about 4-5Ł (5-6 euros).

Check if quality is ok for You :).

Thank you UKRetrogamer for your help. As I'm talking with bartek030 to have his cables, I will try with these. If I'm not satisfied, I could try with those from Retro Computer Shack on eBay ! (I think I bought one from here for my old Atari Jaguar console and that worked perfectly well !).

Thank you everybody for your help !

• 3 weeks later...

Lookup Retro Computer Shack on eBay. Ian makes and sells the best quality video cables in the UK.

He has an Atari ST cable, but in the description he says it is not intended for the STe. He has no other ST scart cables. I also wish he had a SNES cable in his store. I too heard his cables were the best anywhere.

He has an Atari ST cable, but in the description he says it is not intended for the STe. He has no other ST scart cables. I also wish he had a SNES cable in his store. I too heard his cables were the best anywhere.

I forwarded your comment to Ian and he responded, saying he'll look into adding an STe lead to his inventory.

Ian is very approachable. If he doesn't show stock of a required cable, you can use the "ask seller a question" button to see if he'll make up a custom cable for you.

I've had Ian make cables for numerous "odd" systems in the past and he's also borrowed machines from me to use in R&D for new cables.

You can either contact him directly through eBay or wait for his new line of STe cables to show up in his store.

Re: the SNES cable, we've discussed this and it comes down to availability of high quality SNES connectors. Adding decent quality cable to a cheap, Chinese connector won't make a good cable.

Edited by UKRetrogamer

I forwarded your comment to Ian and he responded, saying he'll look into adding an STe lead to his inventory.

Ian is very approachable. If he doesn't show stock of a required cable, you can use the "ask seller a question" button to see if he'll make up a custom cable for you.

I've had Ian make cables for numerous "odd" systems in the past and he's also borrowed machines from me to use in R&D for new cables.

You can either contact him directly through eBay or wait for his new line of STe cables to show up in his store.

Re: the SNES cable, we've discussed this and it comes down to availability of high quality SNES connectors. Adding decent quality cable to a cheap, Chinese connector won't make a good cable.

Thanks a lot. I talked to him on eBay and he gave me his e-mail address. I just asked him if he has a Super Nintendo Scart as well. By the way, I never knew the Atari 1040 STe output was different. Anyone know how? Some sellers list their ST cables as compatible with all ST's.

I never knew the Atari 1040 STe output was different. Anyone know how? Some sellers list their ST cables as compatible with all ST's.

I asked Ian this question at the time I forwarded your comment. Apparently, the ST's sound output is presented at the DIN socket whereas the STe needs a pair of flying audio leads and an additional 5v line for RGB switching, so expect the STe lead to have 2 extra cables over the standard ST ones.

Edit: I just noticed you mentioned SCART. Your location is listed as New York, which would mean SCART is uncommon. Which type of monitor are you using for your retro-systems?

Edited by UKRetrogamer

I asked Ian this question at the time I forwarded your comment. Apparently, the ST's sound output is presented at the DIN socket whereas the STe needs a pair of flying audio leads and an additional 5v line for RGB switching, so expect the STe lead to have 2 extra cables over the standard ST ones.

Edit: I just noticed you mentioned SCART. Your location is listed as New York, which would mean SCART is uncommon. Which type of monitor are you using for your retro-systems?

Yeah you are right, the cable he's selling probably will work perfectly through video now that I think about it, but it will not take advantage of the STe's stereo sound.

Yeah, I'm in NYC. My monitor is a Sony PVM 20M2U multi-regional RGB monitor. It has BNC ports for RGB. I just ordered a Scart to BNC cable here for $40 shipped. I think I got the right one, we'll see at least. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201193146094?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, Ian is a bit busy right now and has parts on back-order, and can't make the STe cable for a while. Does anyone know this UK seller, cool-novelties? He has this STe cable for sale. Good?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATARI-STe-RGB-SCART-LEAD-WITH-STEREO-AUDIO-VIDEO-CABLE-2-METRES-/390925970438?pt=UK_Video_Games_Cables_and_Adaptors&hash=item5b0500ec06

Well, no one replied, so I went ahead an ordered one today. Came to $22.96 shipped from the UK. The seller, Cool-Novelties, seems good. He has a feedback of 99.8%, with a score of 17,915. If anyone is familiar with his cables, please let me know. I know I already ordered, but I still want to know either way. :)

Yeah you are right, the cable he's selling probably will work perfectly through video now that I think about it, but it will not take advantage of the STe's stereo sound.

Yeah, I'm in NYC. My monitor is a Sony PVM 20M2U multi-regional RGB monitor. It has BNC ports for RGB. I just ordered a Scart to BNC cable here for $40 shipped. I think I got the right one, we'll see at least. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201193146094?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

You took the safe route with this one, methinks. The 20M2 models may also display a fine picture without the sync stripper (I know my 20M4E does, and that is just the high-res version of the 20M2), but other models might have problems (ghosting has been reported), and this cable may last longer than your monitor.

Cool Novelties' cables seem solid, I have purchased some (e.g. an ST AV cable for projector use, as many projectors have RCA jacks but no SCART - those do of course not work properly on models without TV output, but as all my STs are STfms or STEs, I have no problem with that).

Edited by Thorsten Günther

You took the safe route with this one, methinks. The 20M2 models may also display a fine picture without the sync stripper (I know my 20M4E does, and that is just the high-res version of the 20M2), but other models might have problems (ghosting has been reported), and this cable may last longer than your monitor.

Cool Novelties' cables seem solid, I have purchased some (e.g. an ST AV cable for projector use, as many projectors have RCA jacks but no SCART - those do of course not work properly on models without TV output, but as all my STs are STfms or STEs, I have no problem with that).

Nope, it was all distorted until I hooked up that mysterious little black cable. I had no idea what it was, then hooked it up and it worked fine, after pressing the sync button. As of the moment, the only SCART cable I have for it is a Dreamcast Pelican. It's official Sega, which makes me wonder just how true RGB the cable is. But hey, it works.

STe cable is on its way from the UK. Can't wait for that to come.

As of the moment, the only SCART cable I have for it is a Dreamcast Pelican. It's official Sega, which makes me wonder just how true RGB the cable is.

I have one SCART cable for the Dreamcast that does not have all the pins in the SCART plug (some of the ground pins are missing, but R, G and B are present), and have also had one (IIRC third party) where - among several others - the R, G and B pins were missing (obviously composite only).

I would say if the required pins are present, you can be 99% sure it has RGB connection - if you want to make sure, just open the SCART plug (remove the nut and use a tool or your fingernails to pull and unlock the plastic connectors between upper and lower half) and take a look inside.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, but is there any way you can find out for me why Ian won't deal with me? I am sure it's a mistake (I never piss anyone off lol), but after trying to buy a cable, it says "The seller isn't accepting bids or offers from you." I asked him on eBay, but no response.

• 3 years later...
On 9/14/2014 at 8:26 PM, bartek030 said:

I make my own ST(e) RGB cables for sale. Full RGB, Liycy 8*0.14 cable, 2 meter long, brand new plugs.

Photos and image comparision (modulator vs. composite vs. scart) taken on STE are available

on my Polish auction:

http://allegro.pl/atari-st-ste-kabel-rgb-euro-scart-i4597943437.html

Price is 10Ł (12 euros), shipping with tracking to most EU countries is about 4-5Ł (5-6 euros).

Check if quality is ok for You :).

My apologies for bumping this thread but I tried just now to buy these on Allegro.pl but I'm stuck at the choose your pickup point which can't find a pickup point in Belgium :)

Could I order these via you directly and pay you via Paypal for these 2 items 

0cadc9a9444688c8d61fecb0057a
1 × 55,00 zł
55,00 zł