IGNORED

Brutal Sports Football, Total Carnage, Zool2 : CD32 vs Jag

phoenixdownita

I recently had a chance to pick up an Amiga CD32 PAL (I am in the US but a simple Composite/SVideo to HDMI converter happens to work as a PAL to NTSC converter too so I am all set).

I found the following 3 games that happen to be on Jag as well:

Brutal Sports Football

Total Carnage

Zool 2

My question is which of those are the same exact game as the Jag?

I venture Zool 2 is the same, not sure the other two.

For the ones that are the same game anyone cares to compare with the Jag?

I do not own any of the for Jag so I can't do it myself.

I found Zool 2 on the Amiga CD32 to be quite good per se, Total carnage is plagued by the fact that once you killed an enemy you can't hit past his corpse until he disappears, which makes it up for a harder than needed situation most of the time.

Edited by phoenixdownita

Ahhh, Brutal sports Football (AkA 'Beast Ball).All i know of A1200 version is it's a 256 colour version of the game, scrolling supposed to be 'smoothed-out' in line with the (canned) Genesis version.

Would be nice to see how the various versions stack-up.Jaguar version never screamed to be making much use of host hardware from what i've seen of it.

Oh man... as a former NFL employee... I thought I'd enjoy Brutal Sports Football... it is the one game that makes me cringe every time I think about it. It's just awful. It would even be considered lackluster on a Sega Genesis in my opinion... but on the Jaguar... I just wonder what people were thinking. That said, it's another Jaguar game, so I'm happy to have it... but when I go through my games randomly playing them, that is the one game that I never bother to put in. The cartridge could break, and I'd probably never know for the rest of my life.

Haven't played Brutal Sports on the Jaguar in years, but last I remember of it, was that the animation was pretty choppy. Hard to tell who had the ball most of the time. Seem to remember it being a little smoother on the Amiga.

Zool definitely plays better on the Amiga, unlike the Jag version which plays a wee bit too fast.

Idiotically (or lazily) enough, Total Carnage does not make use of the 4 buttons to fire in the different directions. Oh well, always have the superior Midway G.H. or MAME versions to play if one wants.

Brutal Sports is choppy on the Jag, but man.. You really can't beat running around a football field and decapitating your opponents. The whole thing is pretty priceless in that regard. "Wait, there's a ball on the playfield? I thought you were just supposed to kill the opposing team?" (Which is how the entire game can be won). :lolblue:

I can't vouch for Zool 2, but I would assume, like many Amiga games, it only has an option between sound effects or music during gameplay (one or the other, not both). If that's the case, the Jag version automatically has the upper hand.

:-) We've not only smoothed out the performance of the game engine and made it feel shit as a result in our opinion, but we're not going to release that version of the game either.

A1200 version (compared to A500 ver) ran faster, sharper, brighter and more colourful graphics, but little else improved was there?
As for Zool 2.Seems a cock-up was made with A1200 version, running slower than A500 ver.but did have extra parallax scrolling.CD32 version had 256 colours, improved graphics, lots of parallax scrolling and a brand new level etc.But as with most cases of enhanced over standard A500 version, not really that much in it, other than cosmetic differences.For a CD based game, i'd of expected more than just 1 extra level....

I can't vouch for Zool 2, but I would assume, like many Amiga games, it only has an option between sound effects or music during gameplay (one or the other, not both). If that's the case, the Jag version automatically has the upper hand.

In the case of the Zool's on the CD32, you can choose music + effects. You're treated to a CD soundtrack in fact and there's the FMV sequence(s) at the beginning of the game too.

Do not trust the YouTube vids showing Zool I or II on Amiga CD32… not sure why they do not showcase the system playing both the music and effects! :mad:

I also found out that Soccer Kid is on CD32 as well as Jag (but read somewhere the Jag version is somewhat incomplete [some bosses missing or alike]).

I managed to get a Zool2 for jag at 12US$ shipped, so I can judge now ;-)

Not sure I'll ever venture in Brutal Sports Football or Total Carnage for Jag at all.

In the case of the Zool's on the CD32, you can choose music + effects. You're treated to a CD soundtrack in fact and there's the FMV sequence(s) at the beginning of the game too.

Do not trust the YouTube vids showing Zool I or II on Amiga CD32… not sure why they do not showcase the system playing both the music and effects! :mad:

That's good to know. Whenever I finally get my hands on a CD32, I will definitely try out Zool 2.

The FMV though--are those genuine FMV clips, or just better animated intros of what we got in the Jag version? I have the MS-DOS release and it has what I think you are talking about. I wouldn't doubt it if it's the same in the CD32 version, but I'm curious anyway.