IGNORED

Season 8 - Game 2 - Circus Charlie

Manoau2002

Standard Settings - One Player Round - Ends Sept. 30/14 at 8:00 a.m. forum time

Are you clown enough to brave all five circus acts?

Step right up! Step right up! See the amazing Charlie the Clown perform death-defying stunts for your amusement! Jumping through fiery hoops on the back of a lion, evading wild monkeys on a tightrope, walking on balloons, riding a horse across a field of suspended trampolines, swinging from rope to rope high above the ground, there's no challenge crazy enough for Charlie! Guide Charlie and help him reach the end of each stage, and rack up points along the way! One wrong move and it's bye bye Charlie! Mess up too many times and Charlie will get fired!

In an effort to raise money to fund his Opcode Games projects (most notably his Super Game Module), Eduardo Mello had previously been auctioning off some prototypes of SG-1000 and MSX ports on eBay. They sold rather well, but the downside is that having only five ColecoVision cartridges of each prototype meant that only five people could play and enjoy each game.

In early March 2011, Eduardo contacted me and offered me his unreleased SG-1000 and MSX ports, so that they may be published by Team Pixelboy, including his MSX port of Circus Charlie. I gladly accepted, and now you can add this high-quality game to your collection!

The rom file for circus charlie is available freely here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/220081-team-pixelboy-news-bulletin-december-25th-2013/?hl=%20team%20%20pixelboy%20%20news%20%20bulletin

Season Totals (To end of Round 1)

northcoastgamer 100

spiceware 55

darthkur 54

ed1475 44

Electric Adventures 37

colecovision 35

roadrunner 25

jblenkle 25

Donpedro 20

s.baz 10

patbb 10

manoau2002 6

Edited by Manoau2002

Tips:

Did you know that you can do a short and a long jump? Short and Long press on fire button.

Level 1: I always do Long (high) Jumps. Just have to wait at a few spots to align the hoop and fire barrel.

Level 2: Short jump for single monkey, long jump when I need to jump over a slow and the fast monkey ... wait as long as possible before jumping.

Level 3: Short jump all the way except when jumping on the platform at the end of the stage.

Level 4: Go very slow, joystick to the left. Only jump on trampoline you can't go under. When there's two trampoline next to each other, most of the time you will be able to go under the second one (all except one I think) ... try to jump on the left edge of the first one so that you land on the horse without hitting the next one.

Level 5: I don't have a clue :)

post-25394-0-33136200-1411671336_thumb.png

Edited by patbb
  • Like 1

Level 4.

I bone-headedly hit F12 thinking to get a screenshot :?

The control of long and short jumps seems a bit inconsistent. the only way that (i think always) works for me is to let go of direction & then tap direction right before I tap the button (short jump), or hold direction & then hold down button (long jump). if I hold direction & tap the button, sometimes I get a long jump (bad) & if I tap direction & hold down button I sometimes get a short jump (bad).

I've gotten to level 5 using continues but burned lives in L4. I'll try your L4 tip, patbb!

The control of long and short jumps seems a bit inconsistent. the only way that (i think always) works for me is to let go of direction & then tap direction right before I tap the button (short jump), or hold direction & then hold down button (long jump). if I hold direction & tap the button, sometimes I get a long jump (bad) & if I tap direction & hold down button I sometimes get a short jump (bad).

I've gotten to level 5 using continues but burned lives in L4. I'll try your L4 tip, patbb!

I changed the fire button key from Ctrl to Z in my emulator and it's a lot easier to manage for the short vs long press.

It's not perfect but better.

I don't have any issues with holding down in a direction.

Anybody knows if a manual is available somewhere, I would like to see if they have something specific for short/long jump.

I tried to find the MSX manual but no luck.

I wonder why they did not use the 2 fire buttons, probably something to do with the MSX.

Round Totals

northcoastgamer 70620
darthkur 48090
patbb 45510
s.baz 32900
colecovision 27550
manoau2002 25550
jblenkle 24690
spiceware 17050
roadrunner 14550

Round Points

northcoastgamer 100
darthkur 68
patbb 64
s.baz 47
colecovision 39
manoau2002 36
jblenkle 35
spiceware 24
roadrunner 21

If anyone notices any errors send me a pm so I can correct them. Thanks.

Edited by Manoau2002