IGNORED

GoSub for INTV

atari2600land

Gee. I got the animated seaweed done by myself, but I know absolutely nothing about the INTV hardware. I wonder how inefficient my code is. But I doubt that it doesn't really matter how much frames I waste since all I'm doing is moving the sub and octopus? But the thing is, IT WORKS (at least in an emulator.) Yes, I'm doing this in INTVBasic. I've attached the latest version and the code here. But now I'm at 8.5 kb, so I doubt I'll have much room for a fancy title screen and the one now will have to do.

Generally it's not bad, but in this case, it's pretty inefficient.

The most efficient way to animate the seaweed is not to rewrite the whole screen, but instead to redefine the seaweed gram character.

My recommendation would be:

1. take out all your seaweed animation code.

2. add this line before the wait in mazemain:

if keynoisetimer>10 then keynoisetimer=10 : sound 0,,0

GOSUB animate_seaweed   ' <--- add this line

WAIT

3. Add some seaweed tiles:

tiles:
	BITMAP "....1..."
	BITMAP "...1...1"
	BITMAP "111.111."
	BITMAP "..11...1"

BITMAP ".1...1.."
	BITMAP "1.111..."
	BITMAP "....111."
	BITMAP "...1...."

tile2:
	BITMAP "...1...."
	BITMAP "...1...1"
	BITMAP "111.111."
	BITMAP "..11...1"

BITMAP "1...1..."
	BITMAP "1.111..."
	BITMAP "....111."
	BITMAP "...1...."
tile3:
	BITMAP "..1....."
	BITMAP "...1...1"
	BITMAP "111.111."
	BITMAP "..11...1"

BITMAP "1...1..."
	BITMAP "1.111..."
	BITMAP "....111."
	BITMAP "...1...."

tile4:
	BITMAP "...1...."
	BITMAP "...1...1"
	BITMAP "111.111."
	BITMAP "..11...1"

BITMAP ".1...1.."
	BITMAP "1.111..."
	BITMAP "....111."
	BITMAP "...1...."

4. Finally, add this routine (near the end of gosub.bas) :

animate_seaweed: PROCEDURE

if ((frame AND $1f)> 0) then goto as_done

temp = frame /16

temp = (temp/2) AND 3

if (temp = 0) THEN define 16,1,tiles : goto as_done
	if (temp = 1) THEN define 16,1,tile2 : goto as_done
	if (temp = 2) THEN define 16,1,tile3 : goto as_done
	if (temp = 3) THEN define 16,1,tile4 : goto as_done

as_done:

RETURN
	END

Done. No slowdowns.

(The seaweed animation is just a placeholder... )

Catsfolly

OK, thanks to catsfolly, I have got a new, better code for the seaweed animation that shouldn't slow down. DZ-Jay, are you testing these binaries on a real Intellivision? The previous one didn't slow down in jzintv (the emulator). So I guess this means I can go to 32k without any problems. That should be enough space for a good amount of levels.

Edited by atari2600land

:lol: Its a process that works for us :P.

Lol! Yep, you need a few more steps, including:

How can we get more bacon into this game?

What will Shat think of this?

Briefly consider Rev's ongoing request for an ice level and then summarily dismiss it out of hand.

Ponder how the art on screen will translate to boxes and overlays.

:)

OK, thanks to catsfolly, I have got a new, better code for the seaweed animation that shouldn't slow down. DZ-Jay, are you testing these binaries on a real Intellivision? The previous one didn't slow down in jzintv (the emulator). So I guess this means I can go to 32k without any problems. That should be enough space for a good amount of levels.

No, I was testing on jzIntv. It was indeed pausing for a frame during the animation. In any case, congratulations! It's working fine now. Great work! :)

I will play it some more a bit later and provide some feedback.

-dZ.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but doesn't IntyBasic support Tiled for designing your screens? I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I thought I recalled reading that somewhere...

If so, that might help you speed along the design process, if you're not already using it for levels.

Also, for testing purposes, maybe there could be some way to key in the level one wants and directly jump to it as a debug mode feature, rather than having to play through the full game?

New level 13.

Beat it, though it took me probably 30 tries at least. :P

I haven't played it for the other levels to be honest, but the level design seems solid. As long as you keep getting good ideas, keep cranking 'em out, I guess.

Does the entire game need to be completed in just those 2 lives, or is there a way to get more?

Gee. I got the animated seaweed done by myself, but I know absolutely nothing about the INTV hardware. I wonder how inefficient my code is. But I doubt that it doesn't really matter how much frames I waste since all I'm doing is moving the sub and octopus? But the thing is, IT WORKS (at least in an emulator.) Yes, I'm doing this in INTVBasic. I've attached the latest version and the code here. But now I'm at 8.5 kb, so I doubt I'll have much room for a fancy title screen and the one now will have to do.

I've had a chance to have a look at your code, you might make things easier on yourself if you used the GOSUB command in your code, kind of ironic that you don't, considering the name of your game... :)

For instance, where you have this:

if room=1 then goto maze2
    if room=2 then goto maze3
    if room=3 then goto maze4
    if room=4 then goto maze5
    if room=5 then goto maze6
    if room=6 then goto maze7
    if room=7 then goto maze8
    if room=8 then goto maze9
    if room=9 then goto maze10
    if room=10 then goto maze11
    if room=11 then goto maze12

I'd replace it with

GOSUB DRAWMAZES

and create a PROCEDURE to isolate the IF statements

DRAWMAZES: Procedure

End

You'll have to make maze2, maze3 etc Gosubs as well.

Using GOSUB to isolate logical blocks of code will make seeing your game loop and basic flow easier to follow. It will also make it easier when your game is bigger in order to move Procedures into the next available ROM space.

Edited by Tarzilla

I've had a chance to have a look at your code, you might make things easier on yourself if you used the GOSUB command in your code, kind of ironic that you don't, considering the name of your game... :)

For instance, where you have this:

I'd replace it with

GOSUB DRAWMAZES

and create a PROCEDURE to isolate the IF statements

DRAWMAZES: Procedure

End

You'll have to make maze2, maze3 etc Gosubs as well.

Using GOSUB to isolate logical blocks of code will make seeing your game loop and basic flow easier to follow. It will also make it easier when your game is bigger in order to move Procedures into the next available ROM space.

I would suggest to use GOSUB also instead of GOTO, and put a RETURN at end of PROCEDURE. Otherwise the stack would grow little by little until the ultimate failure.

I would suggest to use GOSUB also instead of GOTO, and put a RETURN at end of PROCEDURE. Otherwise the stack would grow little by little until the ultimate failure.

So END to close a Procedure isn't automatically a RETURN?

So this is wrong?

DoSomething: Procedure

X=1

END

This is correct?

X=1

RETURN

END

So END to close a Procedure isn't automatically a RETURN?

So this is wrong?

X=1

END

This is correct?

X=1

RETURN

END

You're right. END implicitly includes RETURN

can I do this?

on room goto maze2 maze3 maze4 maze5 ...

I want to put it in next version of IntyBASIC and also the ON expr GOSUB, it would be very useful :)

• Like 1

OK, so I put in the gosub drawmazes thing Tarzilla suggested. It will stop working after level 13 because I haven't designed level 14 yet. And since there will be a special end of game screen, I don't need to put a goto statement to go to the title screen. So this will work. I just don't understand, though, why this is better than what I had before.

Edited by atari2600land

OK, so I put in the gosub drawmazes thing Tarzilla suggested. It will stop working after level 13 because I haven't designed level 14 yet. And since there will be a special end of game screen, I don't need to put a goto statement to go to the title screen. So this will work. I just don't understand, though, why this is better than what I had before.

GoSub vs GoTo is all about program Flow Control and readability. Constant GOTOing around makes debugging a pain for large projects. It isn't a case of only use one or the other, you still will have some GoTos but use GoSub to isolate logical blocks of code together.

ResetGame:
Gosub DrawTitleScreen
Gosub InitializeVariables
titleloop:
Gosub UpdateAnimationCounters
gosub updatetitleframe
gosub CheckTitleScreenForKeys
GOTO titleloop
'GameStart:
' GoSub SetupGame
'GameLoop:
' Gosub CheckKeys
' GoSub MovePlayer
' GoSub MoveEnemy
' GoSub Check Collisions
' GoSub UpdateAnimations
' Goto GameLoop
This method Is way easier to debug and read vs if all the code that would normally be isolated in a Procedure was just in one long block with constant GOTO jumping around. I can see my program flow on one screen instead of 10 or 20 screens.
If the Procedure for InitializeVariable contains 50 lines of code, I shouldn't need to see all 50 lines, just the Gosub command.
The example of Gosub Maze2 etc above may not have been the best example to use when encouraging Gosubs, try the attached file for a real example.
Edited by Tarzilla
  • Like 1

What is the cycle cost of those extra GOSUBs? Is it essentially insignificant?

By the way, what is a cycle exactly? Is it 1hz? The CPU that Inty uses is technically a good couple hundred thousand hertz slower than the 2600's 6507, yet Inty strikes me as having more processing power. Why is that, or am I just mistaken?

GoSub vs GoTo is all about program Flow Control and readability. Constant GOTOing around makes debugging a pain for large projects. It isn't a case of only use one or the other, you still will have some GoTos but use GoSub to isolate logical blocks of code together.

ResetGame:
Gosub DrawTitleScreen
Gosub InitializeVariables
titleloop:
Gosub UpdateAnimationCounters
gosub updatetitleframe
gosub CheckTitleScreenForKeys
GOTO titleloop
'GameStart:
' GoSub SetupGame
'GameLoop:
' Gosub CheckKeys
' GoSub MovePlayer
' GoSub MoveEnemy
' GoSub Check Collisions
' GoSub UpdateAnimations
' Goto GameLoop
This method Is way easier to debug and read vs if all the code that would normally be isolated in a Procedure was just in one long block with constant GOTO jumping around. I can see my program flow on one screen instead of 10 or 20 screens.
If the Procedure for InitializeVariable contains 50 lines of code, I shouldn't need to see all 50 lines, just the Gosub command.
The example of Gosub Maze2 etc above may not have been the best example to use when encouraging Gosubs, try the attached file for a real example.

Cool!

post-14916-0-24455700-1411779325_thumb.gif

• Like 2

Cool as well! I can use this in my game, right? Here's what it would look like. I worked on a level 14 and made it before I saw that. When I put that in there, I saw that I can switch back and forth from using mode 0 and mode 1. Not only that, it used only 1.5 k!

Edited by atari2600land
  • Like 2