IGNORED

Alien Final Version

GadgetUK

I gotta take a moment and say to both GadgetUK and 108Stars what an incredible job you've done on this project. This TRULY made my year with Isolation coming out and this being the anniversary of the Lynx. What a perfect offering!

I know how much time and effort goes into projects like this and life can and will get in the way. That being said, a lot of projects get half finished, forgotten, become vaporware etc. This was one that I just really wanted to see happen especially for the lynx and by October.

Also a lot of times, gamers download games, play them for a while, love them but never stop to take a moment or two to tell the developers how much this means to them. I've done it myself, but this was one I wanted to make sure I expressed my gratitude to those who took the time for the love of the hobby and material and made this happen.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Thanks =) It's always nice to get some feedback, and I am glad that a few people appreciate it! It's a shame the Lynx community is so small =( With regards to it being finished by October, that's in large due to 108 Stars - His messages with regards to the 25th Anniversary etc to me, meant that I knew this had to be finished before October. I think one of the problems with developing games like this is that the development never really ends, there's always something you can find to fix or new stuff to add in. And as you say - life gets in the way, a LOT. That's one of the reasons we (community) have so many great games part developed at the moment - I am sure that most of those other projects will be completed at some point in future. There's a chance Jack Attack might land around XMAS time - not sure yet, no promises as I've got to re do the core of the block mechanics there. It started off so simply and ended up being over engineered to the point that I've not felt like going back to it. If I can get better graphics for LynxOps soldiers etc, I might go back to that and finish it off as well. On top of those 2 current 'on hold' projects I am looking at a new game with 108 Stars - No idea when we might start that, but I am ready when he has some time. In the mean time I've had some thoughts about utilising the engine for Alien and make fairly significant changes to it in order to create a kind of turn based RPG (Think D&D) - Not sure when I might start that yet, it might sit behind Jack Attack, and LynxOps and the next project I will be doing for 108 Stars.

In the distant future I quite fancy having a go at porting some of the smaller NES games to the Lynx via some Windows code that will output chunks of Lynx friendly ASM from a NES cart image. I've mentioned it before and thought about it a fair bit over the last few years, and I believe it's totally feasible. The difficulties imo will be potential timing issues on some titles, self modifying code, and resolution differences - ie. Depending on how the downscaling is done, some manual changes to the source ASM would need to be done in order to accommodate reduced screen size. I would love to see Mario World, Tennis, Spy vs Spy and 1942 from the NES running on the Lynx. No promises this will happen any time soon, I feel it can be done but it's going to take a lot more effort than developing games the standard way and will be far far more complex, so for the moment it's at the back of the list.

Has anyone spotted any more bugs in Alien yet? I am aware of a couple of minor things that would't be noticed and for that reason probably dont need fixing as they can be explained away via the game world - not bugs as such. Although I am concerned that there might be a bug related to the ending screen, but I cannot be sure. I swear I had an ending screen the other day that showed the earth as normal and said 'all crew dead, the alien reached earth', but the batteries had faded at the time and I honestly couldnt tell if it was showing the correct end image vs the events.

• 4 months later...

Only just seen this. Wish I had a flash cart to play the game on. Took a bit more notice than usual as the game is dedicated to techie Alison. Only met her a couple of times as she helped me out with problems on the jaguar VR unit I used to own. Was shocked when I heard of her death, as she seemed so full of life, very unexpected.

Anyway, I hope to one day be able to play this. I'm sure if I'd been here earlier I could have helped with giving this a physical release. Nice work gadget UK. You've done Alison's memory proud :)

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered issue 18. They say it may take up to 24 hours to get me the pdf file :? .

I have played the game a few times only so far. I really need to try it out later today on the LCD modded Lynx.

In case GadgetUK decides to do a small physical release, I also have a box available.

attachicon.gifAliencover.jpg

I am not sure what to do with it if no release happens. I definitely don't want to see it used for unauthorized bootlegs on sale on eBay...

That's a neat looking cover 108. If I might ask, where do you find that x pattern used in the background on the sides - I've also seen it on my Lynx AC Adapter case and I was wondering where it might be found.

Also: whenever (if ever) I get a flashcart I will have to try Alien out. It looks amazing, Gadget.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Here's an updated link :- https://www.dropbox.com/s/1qrr1u6ysgl5l52/Alien%201.02.zip?dl=0

I haven't changed it since v1.02. But JackAttack has progressed a little - I managed to find a couple of hours last time I was on leave. Might be able to finish JackAttack soon and then perhaps move onto the Kung Fu Master type game.

• Like 1

Lately made some time to get busy with the Lynx again, I don't think I can order another game for myself? Most of the time these are limited runs...

No production run ever happened - the ROM is free and if you get one of SainT's SD multicarts for the Lynx you can play this and any other ROM you can download.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 4/6/2020 at 10:00 AM, LordKraken said:

Really nice port. Have you ever thought about rebranding the game to release it physically (that would require redoing all art assets I fear)?

Also I remember you were working on a cabal port right? What happened to that game? :)

Thanks =D  Yes, I had planned to change the engine somewhat and make it into a sort of RPG but never got around to it.  Cabal type game was a learning excercise - I would re-do it from scratch if I decide to revisit it I think.  I wasn't using segments in the cart at that stage and you really need to plan to use them from the start if you want lots of space.  I did get quite far with Jack Attack, I might try and finish that before doing anything else.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I'd like to celebrate gadget UK's hard work for us by talking strategy. I just killed the Alien. I can't see how you could kill the alien slugging it out on anything but the longest time and the weakest Alien setting.

Which is what I had it on and it was just a brawl I hit him with 3 harpoon guns and killed 1 of my guys doing that. Moving forward paired teams with lasers and incinerators engage him then back off go get healed. another pair of step forward engage. back off and I was almost out of time when I finally dropped the Alien. And in the middle of all this the Android attacked.

Probably first thing you would want to do is grab the cat.

Gadget UK mentioned a long healing time. That hasn't been my experience. It's not bad keep telling it 'heal' and it doesn't take long. 

Notice, paused game while on a character with beeping motion detector. you might want to silence the motion detector when game paused. It beeps with the strobing of the paused notice.

Haven't even touched the enhanced graphics version yet.

Edited by JagChris
  • Like 2