IGNORED

sio2pc USB by Lotharek

lotharek

No this is not what i’m using, i’m using the small transparent sio connector that uses an usb cable to connect to a pc or mac. So i guess i’m in the wrong topic... i can’t get the 1050 to work with the interface i’m using?

58 minutes ago, orpheuswaking said:

the second switch is behind the first so if you slide to the right it should move both 

Oh wow i had to open up the case to actually see there are two small switches directly behind each other, from the outside they look like 1 normal one haha :)

3 hours ago, jowi said:

Oh wow i had to open up the case to actually see there are two small switches directly behind each other, from the outside they look like 1 normal one haha :)

Yeah, you have to use a small object to switch them individually. 

Once you get the dip switches set correctly, then they should work flawlessly together. 

Side note... I went to Lotharek's web site but couldn't find this adapter. (?)  I know I've seen it there fairly recently, but not now. Edit: found it under Mass Storage Devices. I had forgotten it was a mini -- in the SIO plug.

-Larry

No this is not what i’m using, i’m using the small transparent sio connector that uses an usb cable to connect to a pc or mac. So i guess i’m in the wrong topic... i can’t get the 1050 to work with the interface i’m using?

You’re in the right topic. It’s a common naming misconception, that lots of us make. Lothareks stuff is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I’ve ordered a box of 10 ds/dd 5,25” floppy’s from ebay, as soon as they are here i will give it a go :) i’m old enough to have worked with flopppy’s in the past, on the first pc’s when i was a student, but never on my atari when i was a kid, i only had the cassette player.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/15/2020 at 7:35 PM, StickJock said:

What drive number do you have the 1050 set to?

If it is set to #1, then it will "answer" the 600 when it tries to boot.

Put a bootable ATR in drive 1 of Aspeqt.  Set the 1050 to drive #2 (both slide switches to the right).  Turn on the 600 XL.  Then you can copy from Aspeqt drive #1 (or 3, 4, etc.) to drive #2 (the 1050).

Mmm. Tried it, ran a sio cable from the 600XL to the 1050, and from the 1050 to the pc/usb. Mounted a DOS 2.5 in aspeqt drive 1, can boot up the 600xl with DOS using aspeqt, but... that is it. If i e.g. format d2,d3 or d4, nothing happens. The 1050 is powered on, but the drive does not respond to anything, drivelight does not come on. Is the 1050 broken?

Edited by jowi

38 minutes ago, jowi said:

The 1050 is powered on, but the drive does not respond to anything, drivelight does not come on. Is the 1050 broken?

Does the power LED next to the switch come on? If not there could be a problem with the power supply(blown fuse), the barrel connector for the power supply, the power switch...

It depends on which device you purchased. Lotharek sells a Sio2PC USB and a 10502PC Sio2PC USB REV2. The Sio2PC USB allows you to connect your 8-bit to your PC and use the PC as a file server, but that's it, nothing else. it doesn't work with real Atari disk drives. The 10502PC Sio2PC USB REV2 does all of that in addition to allowing you to connect your 1050 to your PC and read real disks into your PC for backup, etc. So, assuming you purchased the 10502PC Sio2PC USB REV2, you'd need it setup and connected to your Atari 8-bit with RestpeQt running and DOS 2.5 or whatever setup as Drive #1. You'll then need the drive selector switch on your 1050 set for Drive #2. Then you'll boot your Atari and, if everything is setup correctly, your Atari should boot DOS 2.5 or whatever DOS you choose to use, from RestpeQt running on your PC. Then you can create a copy on Disk #2 with one of your blank disks.

not so fast, d3: and d4: require changes for some early DOS....

DOS 2.5 supports drives 1-8 and is initialized to drives 1, 2, and 8, fresh out of the box. If you have other drives, change location 1802 ($70A); that is, if you have three drives and the RAMdisk, POKE 1802, 135. All bits in location 1802 now represent possible drives.

I normally set it for 4 drives plus a ramdisk for drive and file manipulation, maintenance.

I am sure someone will post a better run down though.

hope that helps @jowi

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jowi said:

Thanks, is setting the 1050 as drive 2 mandatory? It’s set as disk 3 at the moment (both switches to the right, as seen from the back).

58 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

DOS 2.5 supports drives 1-8 and is initialized to drives 1, 2, and 8, fresh out of the box.

As stated by The_Doctor, DOS 2.5 needs to be reconfigured to be able to use D3:. The SETUP.COM utility on a full DOS 2.5 disk can also be used for this.

• Like 1

Ok, setting the 1050 to physical disk 2 did the trick :) i always wondered how this worked when i was a kid, only having the cassette player and never had to use DOS etc. Amazing to have finally be able to get & use a 1050 diskdrive on my Atari 600XL and format a disk, 40 years later, thanks guys :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jowi said:

Ok, setting the 1050 to physical disk 2 did the trick :) i always wondered how this worked when i was a kid, only having the cassette player and never had to use DOS etc. Amazing to have finally be able to get & use a 1050 diskdrive on my Atari 600XL and format a disk, 40 years later, thanks guys :)

DOS 2.5 only supports 90K SD and 130K ED, you should try SpartaDOS or RealDOS. They are command line based similar to MSDOS and support up to 16MB drives/ATRs, there are also several mods for the 1050 which make it 180KB capable.