IGNORED

Donkey Kong 2: Lost Levels

CDS Games

Thanks Brian! Since I couldn't reproduce the arcade exactly I tried to come up with something that at least played like it.

At the moment though, I put this version aside and am trying to make progress on batari's partially completed hack, as he implemented a great set of missile and ball elevators. That kills the hammer though so I'd need a separate bank for the conveyors.

This is cool. :thumbsup:

So awesome there are two homebrew Donkey Kongs and a hack currently ongoing at once. I dunno why, but I like just playing different versions of the same game. I've got a ton of Pacman ports: hack 'em, arcade, 4k, new pacman, etc... Then there's all the PMP ports for 7800 :P

Now it seems I've got more to entertain myself with multiple Donkey Kongs... :grin:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Well not exactly progress, but I tested out an idea that looks very promising. Took the original ROM, doubled it to 8k, then switched banks between each frame. This introduces a bit of flicker, but it also opens up a whole bunch of possibilities like:

* more sprite and playfield colors (multiple colors per line)

* two hammers per level

* two enemy types per level, or even possibly prizes (?)

If you turn on Phosphor effect in Stella to get rid of the flicker it looks pretty amazing:

post-31389-0-66195400-1512221907.png

So I might play around with this a little and see if this all can be folded into a single hack.

Edited by CDS Games
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't know... that sounds more like you're trying to make this closer to the arcade version, which is good... but I think what most of us liked is that your new levels were very much in the style of the original game, just expanded. Personally I was just hoping you could get the elevator working in level 3 and fix the few other bugs in the new levels so everything is playable. There is definitely a charm about the original 2600 game, even if it's a bit simple compared to the arcade version.

Personally I was just hoping you could get the elevator working in level 3 and fix the few other bugs in the new levels so everything is playable. There is definitely a charm about the original 2600 game, even if it's a bit simple compared to the arcade version.

Oh I agree--that's the whole reason I started this. I wasn't excluding finishing the original Coleco-style version, just something new caught my attention and I thought it'd be cool to try and potentially throw into the mix.

This is a hobby, so I tend to work on what grabs my attention at the moment. Otherwise it'd be a job where the pay is positively atrocious.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Oh I agree--that's the whole reason I started this. I wasn't excluding finishing the original Coleco-style version, just something new caught my attention and I thought it'd be cool to try and potentially throw into the mix.

This is a hobby, so I tend to work on what grabs my attention at the moment. Otherwise it'd be a job where the pay is positively atrocious.

Will this ever com out on cart??? the whole game???

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I can get on a ride up the elevator and I can get on and ride down the elevator, But no matter what I try, I can't get off the the down elevator without it killing me.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I can get on a ride up the elevator and I can get on and ride down the elevator, But no matter what I try, I can't get off the the down elevator without it killing me.

Which version? The one with invisible elevators? Start your jump when you are exactly at the level of the platform you are jumping onto. There's I think a four pixel allowance, but if you jump at the same level you should make it to the platform ok.

• 1 year later...
On 12/2/2017 at 11:36 AM, CDS Games said:

Well not exactly progress, but I tested out an idea that looks very promising. Took the original ROM, doubled it to 8k, then switched banks between each frame. This introduces a bit of flicker, but it also opens up a whole bunch of possibilities like:

* more sprite and playfield colors (multiple colors per line)

* two hammers per level

* two enemy types per level, or even possibly prizes (?)

If you turn on Phosphor effect in Stella to get rid of the flicker it looks pretty amazing:

post-31389-0-66195400-1512221907.png

So I might play around with this a little and see if this all can be folded into a single hack.

Beautiful work! Congratulations! ?
CDS Games is possible to upgrade the graphics of the original Donkey Kong?
 Adding new elements, such as elevators and collected objects such as umbrellas and suitcases!
Of course, I know that this will gradually increase the memory with the added resources!