IGNORED

HSC SEASON 4 IDEAS and ANNOUNCEMENTS

Vocelli

NEW SEASON ~ The NEW High Score Club Season 4:

‘The Classics’.

We will play 3 classic favorites that everyone loved at the arcade. What are your suggestions?

Medal Winner Picks!

The Medal Winners will PM (PRIVATE MESSAGE) me prior to Jan 10, 2015 and will get to pick one game to play during these 3 weeks!

I will either approve or ask to ‘Pick again’.

I will not approve if it has been played the past 2 years.

These 3 games will be PREANNOUNCED! On Jan 10, 2015

We will play 2 your suggestions.

I like Suggestions!

Paddle weeks.

We will Play 2 Paddle Games. What Games would u like to play?

We will play 2 your suggestions

Pick something good

Homebrews or Not (What do u think?)

OK... we lost many players when we played the homebrew weeks. I like them... what do u think?

We will play 2 of your suggestions

What do u like?

2 Rarely (or never played) Games

Make these games weird and crazy suggestions that may be bad or good.

The last 3 weeks we will play Wild Cards (The HSC Season 3 winner gets to pick the first one)

Double points and beat the leader weeks.

The first Game we play will be secretly picked by our Season 3 winner Capitan Classic. It WILL NOT announced until played.

There will be several special weeks !

Overall.... trying to make this last 20-28 weeks with 28-30 games.

Bracket Challenge to follow.

Also What Bonuses did u like and not like?

Thanks!

Vocelli

SEE YOU JAN 10, 2015!!!

• Like 1

MY SUGGESTIONS:

1) The Classic Arcade Games: Pole Position, Pengo, Joust, Mario Bros., ZAXXON, Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom, Ikari Warriors, Xenophobe, and Q*Bert (this game on Difficulty A).

2) Paddle Games: BREAKOUT, Guardian, The Music Machine and Astroblast.

3) Homebrews: Princess Rescue, Conquest of Mars, Edtris 2600, Go Fish!, INV+, Oystron, and Rainbow Invaders.

4) Rarely (or never played games): Cakewalk, Gremlins, Obelix, Alien, Boing, Suicide Mission, Dishaster, Malagai, Marine Wars, Planet Patrol, Ram It, Space Cavern, and Tapeworm.

5) Other suggestions: H.E.R.O. (Game 5), Laser Blast (Game 4), Carnival, China Syndrome, Mr. Do!'s Castle / Mr. Do!, Gangster Alley (Difficulty A), Master of the Universe - The Power of He-Man, Montezuma's Revenge, Mouse Trap, Pigs in Space, Pitfall, Pitfall 2 - Lost Caverns, Pressure Cooker, Rescue Terra I, Secret Quest, Sky Skipper, Spacechase, Universal Chaos, Elk Attack, and Worm War 1 (Difficulty A on both sides).

Edited by oyamafamily

I would like to see special weeks with the combination of two "rival games" from back in the day:

Dig Dug / Mr. Do!

Battlezone / Robot Tank

Pole Position / Enduro

Phoenix / Demon Attack

Star Raiders / Star Voyager

Pac-Man / Mouse Trap

Real Sports Tennis / Activision Tennis

BurgerTime / Pressure Cooker

Joust / Sir Lancelot

Jungle Hunt / Pitfall!

Video Pinball / Midnight Magic

Track & Field / Decathlon

Frogger / Freeway

Golf / My Golf

Q*bert / Quick Step

Space Invaders / Gorf

Berzerk / Marauder

• Like 1

my season 4 suggestions:

Arcade Classics

Mario Bros.

Q*Bert (game A for sure!)

Gravitar

Defender II / Stargate

Double Dragon [not a golden age classic but it pretty much revived arcades for a while & enflamed the Beat 'em Up genre]

Mr. Do!'s Castle

Mr. Do!

Paddle Games

KABOOM! (my favorite one as a kid)

Astroblast [right difficulty: A -- fast exciting action, the most fun this way, IMO]

Warplock [never been played yet]

Homebrews

Juno First

Pac-Man Arcade

Go Fish!

J.O.R.G.E.N. [ Swedish developer; rom available here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/225048-homebrew-joergen/ ]

Never Been Played

Springer

Exocet / Cruise Missile

Miner 2049er Vol. II

Sea Hawk

other suggestions:

Alien

Adventures of TRON

Jr. Pac-Man

Bank Heist

Gremlins

Obelix

Frankenstein's Monster

Pooyan

Cross Force

not to forget Parker Bros!

Frogger

Frogger II: Threedeep!

Sky Skipper

Star Wars: The Arcade Game

Montezuma's Revenge

to add to Mister-VCS' list of "rival games:"

Commando / Front Line / Ikari Warriors

...and H.E.R.O. game 5, "here, here!" :-D

[edit] also, just noticed: Pitfall II has only been played once (2010). It has a maximum score (not easy!) like Pitfall! but unfortunately no on-screen timer to measure who did it fastest. still I'm sure few of us would get a perfect score. I know I never have.

Edited by S.BAZ
  • Like 1

[edit] also, just noticed: Pitfall II has only been played once (2010). It has a maximum score (not easy!) like Pitfall! but unfortunately no on-screen timer to measure who did it fastest. still I'm sure few of us would get a perfect score. I know I never have.

The most HSC-mods have a passion for "rare-games" - it is a rumor that the more common games are "overplayed" in the 2600 HSC...

A few more suggestions:

Tutankham

Mangia

Trickshot

Obelix

Roadrunner

Crossbow

Ikari Warriors

Combat (maybe as a "bonus" game)

Mountain Man

Sky Skipper

Zaxxon

Pooyan

Moonsweeper

Buck Rogers

Amidar

Star Wars: The Arcade Game (Super-Fun!)

Star Wars: Jedi Arena (Paddle)

Gopher

Star Wars: Death Star Battle

Fatal Run

MY BONUS IDEAS FOR SEASON 4:

1) If we play Ikari Warriors on 2600 HSC, my idea will be the following:

Play an alternate version of Ikari Warriors - Arcade/MAME, Atari 7800, NES, Commodore, etc. on Default Settings.

2) If we play Fatal Run on 2600 HSC, I would like to suggest the following bonus scheme:

Play the 7800 version of Fatal Run (No Passwords Allowed).

Finish 1-3 place for 5 bonus points

Finish 4-6 place for 4 bonus points

Finish 7-10 place for 3 bonus points

Finish 11-15 place for 2 bonus points

Finish 16-25 place for 1 bonus point

To avoid losing players' interest I suggest extra rounds and some catch ups.

Maybe all homebrews could work as extra rounds. For instance, if you finish 7th in an extra round you can pick a round wich you finished worse and change that place for the higher 7th place achieved.

Catch ups let players who missed a round to play the game and get some/all points for that round.

• Like 1

To avoid losing players' interest I suggest extra rounds and some catch ups.

Maybe all homebrews could work as extra rounds. For instance, if you finish 7th in an extra round you can pick a round wich you finished worse and change that place for the higher 7th place achieved.

Catch ups let players who missed a round to play the game and get some/all points for that round.

I like this suggestion. I joined the Atari 800 HSC because of this, I was 7 fortnight s behind.

~ I love playing homebrews! they're usually excellent games ~

an idea: I was thinking the beat the leader bonuses near the end of the season could be weighted more heavily to favor everybody other than the leaders. I noticed the top 3 players are often the ones scoring the "beat the leader" points. maybe it could be double for everyone else? or maybe something like:

#1 gets 1st place: +1 bonus

#2 '' +2 bonus

#3 '' +3 bonus

anyone else beats #1: +5 bonus

'' beats #2: +3 bonus

'' beats #3: +2 bonus

so, a possible +10 bonus points for anyone in 4th place overall or below

S.Baz, your post reminded me to raise a general issue:

Since the points have been doubled this season (50 for rank 1 instead of 25 etc.), the value of the bonus points was rather marginal. That's not a big deal really, since almost all of your bonus ideas are great fun, Voc. Nonetheless, maybe they could be tweaked a tiny bit here and there. For example, if we have to play a whole other game in order to get like 2-4 points out of it, that's a bit low for the amount of time spent and could be knocked up a notch.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

"Homebrews or Not (What do u think?)

OK... we lost many players when we played the homebrew weeks. I like them... what do u think?" -- Vocelli

My opinion on this: Homebrewing programmers are an integral part of the AtariAge community; They make the old consoles living, breathing machines again. Let's do what little we can to support them by featuring some of their games in the HSC (and buying their games). They usually have the ROM available for any given game, so its not like you have to purchase them all in order to participate.

If there are members set against this, then perhaps we could do a separate mini-season of all homebrews. This mini-season would have no bearing on the regular HSC season, so those who wish to avoid homebrews can do so without missing out on the regular season. :ponder:

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

I've never participated in the Atari 2600 HSC, so forgive me if I mention a game that was played too recently.

A few of my suggestions would be:

Bermuda Triangle

Tutankham

Commando Raid

Name This Game

Millipede

Mangia

Paddle Games:

Demons to Diamonds

Circus Atari

• 3 weeks later...

How about a quick little tournament while we wait? I have a game or two in mind for this, but I would like to check with Vocelli via PM before I suggest them openly. Just to make sure there's no overlap with next season's games.

As a prize, I would personally send the winner a "Dschungel Boy" cart. For those of you in NTSC land, it's a Pitfall! clone by Quelle, sold in english-speaking parts of PAL land as "Tom Boy". A simplified clone. And it's bad. And easy. And lame. And it has a really awful attempt at copying Mowgli on the cover "art". And it's not very rare at all. Or valuable, for that matter.

It would be more of a symbol than a prize, but a real physical one you can hold in your hands, play, or put on your shelf to cover that ugly grey NWC cart no one wants to look at. It's the thought that counts.

Your thoughts on this idea?

• Like 2

@Karo -- Sounds great! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Meanwhile I had feedback from Vocelli, giving me green light on the game I have in mind.

Feedback here hasn't been overwhelming yet, but I guess with a bit of time to spread the news, we could get together a few people. I'll start a thread announcing the competition in the near future. Got to find time to play around with the game's settings first.

• 3 weeks later...