IGNORED

Heavy Sixer was crystal clear for about 5 minutes...then...

marillion

Fuzz. How do I fix? It's got a brand new Atari switchbox hooke through the coaxial input to the TV. The TV is an olf 13" color Portland (with wood grain!). Here's a pic of the fuzz...

15299793521_1ab4826a74_z.jpg

The orange bar on the bottom was completely solid and pristine when I started playing.

Any tips, my friends? Thanks!

Peace,

Chip

Edited by marillion

Can't say enough about the RCA-Coax adapters. I order them by the dozens. All switchboxes must die. Your symptoms mirror exactly what I see with switchboxes, old and new. Decent signal that gets worse as you play a game.

And replacing the RF cord can be a bit tricky with a 4 or 6 switch. It's got shorter posts than regular RCA cables. But also worth a shot.

You'll need to replace either the 5V regulator or the green "chiclet" capacitor on your Atari. I replaced both on my 4-switch Atari and I haven't had any issues since. See my first post on Atariage. Google 4-switcher Atari intermittent reception. (I'm using mobile/3DS web browser so I can't copy/paste the link atm). 4-switch models use a .1uF green chiclet. 6-switch mod3ls use a .22uF green chiclet. You can pick up the caps as well as the three prong 5V regulator at Radio Shack.

You'll need to replace either the 5V regulator or the green "chiclet" capacitor on your Atari. I replaced both on my 4-switch Atari and I haven't had any issues since. See my first post on Atariage. Google 4-switcher Atari intermittent reception. (I'm using mobile/3DS web browser so I can't copy/paste the link atm). 4-switch models use a .1uF green chiclet. 6-switch mod3ls use a .22uF green chiclet. You can pick up the caps as well as the three prong 5V regulator at Radio Shack.

Google-gobble wakka-pakka?

I have zero clue what you're talking about.

Peace,

Chip

My 4-switch Atari had the same symtoms as yours. I replaced the chicklet caps and the 5V regulator and the reception cleared right up. Typically the gree chicklet capacitors are at fault as several other posters suggested.

If the shielded RCA cable is roach, you can replace it with RCA or RF Coax. For RCA, get a shielded "digital" signal cable, as these will have sufficient bandwidth to carry a VHF TV signal. Berret yet, stick a right angle Coax-RF plug on it. You may have to saw off the end of the RCA tip to get it to fit. While you are at Radio Shack, get one of those large ceramic RF choke clamp-on bricks and mount it internally. This will help prevent degradation due to signal loss or interferance.

"I don't know what google-smoogle-poopie-doopie is..." I'm in the hospital recovering from colon surgery, cannot access a PC, and my 3DS cannot copy-paste urls or links because the web browser sucks, but it's all I have atm. It's a common problem for old Ataris and I was trying to help a brother out.