IGNORED

Desert Strike

Stevaside

Being a noob to the world of Lynx, why is this one so rare? All I can find so far seems to be a $260 & $330 listing on Ebay! Do they usually go for cheaper when they show up or is that about right? Those are both boxed too, but still.....I know the Telegames titles tend to be rare, but I think that's a huge leap in price compared to some of the other rarer ones I've searched for.

Seems like a kick ass title for the Lynx regardless ;-) I remember the Strike series for Super Nintendo/Genesis, etc. I always found them interesting, but never got to play em.

Edited by Stevaside

Songbird has it new right now for like 69 bucks

Just about any game for lynx and jag that some eBay ass is trying to price gouge you for can be found new online for much cheaper. You just have to do your research to find it or ask around.

Edited by travistouchdown

Songbird has it new right now for like 69 bucks

Just about any game for lynx and jag that some eBay ass is trying to price gouge you for can be found new online for much cheaper. You just have to do your research to find it or ask around.

Haha..I think I need glasses...I've been to there site already & didn't see that they had it...Thanks

Be aware that the new print run they sell comes on a bare PCB instead of a real Lynx card. So if you want anoriginal style card with box, you will have to hunt for an old copy. They don't cost over 100 $ if you search for a while and are wiling to order from Europe too.

Damn I didn't know that & I thought they would maybe have their own label/box....So do most re-releases, prototypes & homebrews pretty much come the same way?

I never cared to or could even imagine affording to focus on boxed games for any consoles that I have been collecting for over the past 17 years or so, but that seems like a more reasonable accomplishment for the Lynx's library, most of it anyway. Be nice to have the boxes displayed on shelves while the games are all in that dope carrying case I can't wait to get :)

First things first tho, I most likely wont even be able to pick a Lynx up for another month or 2..I am pretty excited about the thought tho, so have been doing lots of research & compiling a want list with a guide to prices. Songbird Productions, Good Deal Games and even Best appear to be a great source for some of the more unusual stuff...But due to the prices, they'd have to be the last adds to my collection

Edited by Stevaside

The Lynx is a wonderful system to collect a full set of all released CIB games for. First of all, there's only 70-something official releases. And the majority of them is available for low prices, a lot of them dirt-cheap old stock, still sealed. Even the pricier games are inexpensive compared to other systems, with patience I don't think you'll have to 100 $ for any game. 40 is already the higher priced stuff.

Desert Strike as well as Double Dragon are games released late in the Lynx lifespan. They were still manufactured and sold lik standard Lynx games. But thepublisher Telegames still exists and occasionally releases reprints. Probably due to saving cost for the very low numbers those rereleases have ROM chips hand soldered on blank PCBs and come in jewel cases. So you can get those games an they are legit originals, but they look cheaper. So for those couple of games you must decide wether to take the new run or hunt for old copies looking more authentic.

• Like 1

Actually, the latest run of Krazy Ace and Desert Strike both include the original Lynx-style box, not a jewel case. And Krazy Ace has only been released as a chip-on-PCB to my knowledge; I don't think it was ever released in a sealed plastic cart. But otherwise, yes it is true that the latest batch of Telegames Lynx carts are black PCBs.

• Like 2

@Stevaside:Re: The 'Strike' Series:

Desert is fantastic (sound on Amiga version espically) Jungle was peak of 16 Bit's Strikes for myself, Urban, just felt rushed/unfinished.
Soviet Strike not bad, 1st 32 Bit entry (was planned for 3DO, but switched to PS1, Saturn), Nuclear was superb and planned 'Future Strike' was changed to this:
  • Like 1

@Stevaside:Re: The 'Strike' Series:

Desert is fantastic (sound on Amiga version espically) Jungle was peak of 16 Bit's Strikes for myself, Urban, just felt rushed/unfinished.
Soviet Strike not bad, 1st 32 Bit entry (was planned for 3DO, but switched to PS1, Saturn), Nuclear was superb and planned 'Future Strike' was changed to this:

Haha interesting that PS1 game that evolved from a planned Strike game....I don't even remember hearing about a Nuclear Strike, I'm gonna have to check that out as well....Man I miss the PS1

Couple more 'Chopper' games you might have missed:

That PSP game looks pretty cool....

If u wanna take it back a little earlier, you could never go wrong with Choplifter either..It's still one of my fav games in my 7800 collection that I'll pick up & play a little every now & then...Maybe it's because it was one of the few games I had as a kid for it, but I never get sick of it for some reason. When I saw the arcade version a little after I was impressed, but felt really cheated being the 7800 version only had the one stage. But regardless I enjoyed it & not until recent did I learn the 7800 version was intended to be a (much better) port of the original Apple II game. The arcade was more of a remake. I don't own a PS3 but I've always wanted to try the HD version they have on PSN as well

There was another Chopper game I remember in the arcade around the same time that I'm sure was from Sega & I think it had a Master System version as well...Thunder Blade I think it was called?

Edited by Stevaside
  • Like 1

:-)

Big Choplifter fan myself (ever tried SNES Choplifter 3?-Superb).Thunderblade was indeed out on MD/MS plus home micro's (ST, ZX Spectrum, C64-mixed results).Chuffing difficult game.There was also a clone doing the rounds on ST/Amiga, Hellfire Attack i think it was.

I tried the PSN remake of Choplifter, gwad...what had they done? NOT impressed, not impressed at all.

• Like 1

:-)

Big Choplifter fan myself (ever tried SNES Choplifter 3?-Superb).Thunderblade was indeed out on MD/MS plus home micro's (ST, ZX Spectrum, C64-mixed results).Chuffing difficult game.There was also a clone doing the rounds on ST/Amiga, Hellfire Attack i think it was.

I tried the PSN remake of Choplifter, gwad...what had they done? NOT impressed, not impressed at all.

Yep, I've played Choplifter 3 on an emulator way back & thought it was pretty good...When the day comes I plan to focus on a little SNES collecting it's one of the 1st games I plan to get

Hmmm I have a bad memory, but thought I saw a couple other people unhappy with the remake too. I'll have to look into it

Edited by Stevaside

I love the Strike franchise.

If you guys are talking about other games with helicopters, you've missed a big one. The Army Men Air Combat franchise from 3DO is excellent and largely a clone of EA's series. That brand largely has negative connotations in videogaming, but some aspects of it provided fine games like these, Army RTS, and the well received original Army Men game from the late 1990's on the PC.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

It was only ever a rumour (Mean Machines Sega #28) but claim went that E.A were making 'Super Strike' game for the Sega CD (Mega CD) which would contain gameplay elements from Desert/Jungle/Urban Strike and...feature the 3 originals themself (as Bonus Games) on the 1 disc.

Never heard any more after the little snippet in Mean Machines mind....

:-) This could be the 'ultimate Retro take' on Desert Strike judging by the Off.Xbox Mag review (2.8/10). Talk of 'piddly Mega Drive bullets' and 'Atari ST-esque explosions' etc:

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DHAAIXmQIfVQ&sa=U&ei=FY8sVMe3GNbYaqKWgKAD&ved=0CBUQtwIwAA&usg=AFQjCNFhjWXEL_hftFIYd5tzxkvZ_FVX5w

Anyone played it? and if so...is it really that bad?.

You will love it, I still use it a lot during brakes at work, although some of my colleges think I am crazy bringing that 25 year old brick to work lol. Also I feel lucky now that I got my Desert Strike with one of my Lynx'es for like 40 GBP (the lynx, and like 4 games).

• Like 1