IGNORED

Anyway to play Coleco Games on Atari?

gamesarefun

I know the coleco has an adapter to play atari cartridges but the problem is my coleco isnt working. i have several working Atari's and a bunch of coleco games id love to be playing.

is there any way to do this? a 3rd party adapter or some kind of home creation

just curious, i have a feeling there probably isnt though

No there is no way you can play a coleco game in an atari, there would be no way for them to make an adapter unless it was a mini colecovision like the atari adapter for the colecovision is a mini atari.

You can contact Yurkie to fix your colecovisions and even mod them to component. Don't know your price range though as this can get to be over $100 bucks to fix everything and mod them. At least you know everything would work though. You can also search through the forums for how to's on fixing the colecovision then you could ask some technically inclined friend to help you out.

This adapter works awesome!

9y6ara6u.jpg

To install, Remove the case from the Atari VCS and then affix it around the Colecovision adapter, Secure with tape of choice (Silver duct tape blends nicely with the chrome accents), Insert Colecovision cartridge and play away!

That's how I did it, excepted I hacked the whole system so I don't even need the VCS anymore for this set-up.

• Like 1

9y6ara6u.jpg

To install, Remove the case from the Atari VCS and then affix it around the Colecovision adapter, Secure with tape of choice (Silver duct tape blends nicely with the chrome accents), Insert Colecovision cartridge and play away!

Man, that system needs to be cleaned!

• Like 1

As I understand it Coleco could make an Atari 2600 adapter and game system because it could use generic parts. The Coleco, however, has a BIOS of sorts. Meaning: Atari would have to steal the Coleco BIOs code to run Coleco games.

Ironic, because the TIA was not a generic part in any way, shape, or form. The Colevovision was the only console built entirely with off-the-shelf components. So while from a technical perspective it is far easier to clone a Colecovision, legally it was much easier to clone a 2600.

Of course no one really knew about any of this until it was tested in court. Given courts today, none of it would be allowed.

Edited by freeweed

How does the SV-603 Colecovision adapter for the Spectravideo SVI-318/328 home computers work? While I'm aware the computers share the same off the shelf hardware as mentioned above, the adapter needs to contain a Colecovision BIOS ROM? Of course it might've been licensed from Coleco to Spectravideo at a time right before the ADAM and not thought to infer with Coleco's own sales, unlike if e.g. Atari had been licensed to make a Colecovision clone as well. Then I don't consider more or less unauthorized clones from far Asia.

• 5 years later...
On 9/22/2014 at 5:28 PM, gamesarefun said:

I know the coleco has an adapter to play atari cartridges but the problem is my coleco isnt working. i have several working Atari's and a bunch of coleco games id love to be playing.

is there any way to do this? a 3rd party adapter or some kind of home creation

just curious, i have a feeling there probably isnt though

Yes you can play Venture, I'm still testing. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Crzymk101 said:

Hello all I went to a Retro game shop In Fayetville ga and bought Venture for the Colecovision and it wokerd! 

NOPE, look closer, you cannot play the more advanced ColecoVision games on atari, if you have Venture cartridge that works on 2600 it is just the COLECO branded game FOR the Atari 2600, it is NOT a Colecovision cartridge it is just that Venture appeared on both systems. ?

• Confused 1

Coleco made cartridges for the atari vcs/2600 and atari made cartridges for the colecovision.  Should be clear on the cartridge label as Oldschoolretrogamer advised.

The reason you can't make a colecovision adapter (or any system adapter) for the atari 2600 is because it has no video and audio inputs.  The atari 2600 module for colecovision was licenced from Atari.  Atari's TIA chip was protected by a patent at the time.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

Yes there was a lawsuit.  According to this article, they settled out of court with Coleco paying Atari a royalty for every expansion module and gemini sold.

https://dfarq.homeip.net/coleco-gemini-atari-2600-clone-1983/

https://www.nytimes.com/1983/03/12/business/company-news-atari-coleco-pact.html

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

Yes there was a lawsuit.  According to this article, they settled out of court with Coleco paying Atari a royalty for every expansion module and gemini sold.

https://dfarq.homeip.net/coleco-gemini-atari-2600-clone-1983/

https://www.nytimes.com/1983/03/12/business/company-news-atari-coleco-pact.html

Interesting. I stand corrected.  :)

On 9/22/2014 at 4:41 PM, Hyperboy said:

9y6ara6u.jpg

Pink carpet???

On September 23, 2014 at 3:28 AM, carlsson said:

How does the SV-603 Colecovision adapter for the Spectravideo SVI-318/328 home computers work? While I'm aware the computers share the same off the shelf hardware as mentioned above, the adapter needs to contain a Colecovision BIOS ROM? Of course it might've been licensed from Coleco to Spectravideo at a time right before the ADAM and not thought to infer with Coleco's own sales, unlike if e.g. Atari had been licensed to make a Colecovision clone as well. Then I don't consider more or less unauthorized clones from far Asia.

Not sure about the legal stuff but it does work. It even came with a special 'quick shot' joystick that had a number  pad attached to the front of the stick. 

My adapter was missing that joystick but did come with a pair of Wilco colecovision joysticks 

Edited by rietveld

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/22/2014 at 6:01 PM, Gemintronic said:

As I understand it Coleco could make an Atari 2600 adapter and game system because it could use generic parts. The Coleco, however, has a BIOS of sorts. Meaning: Atari would have to steal the Coleco BIOs code to run Coleco games.

Where did Coleco get the custom Atari chips?