IGNORED

Doomsday prepping your old school consoles!

atarilovesyou

Watching some doomsday prepping stuff on tv...haven't in a while as it's a pretty played out theme, but it got me to thinking after I read a few posts here.

One day, all those cheap CRT tvs will be gone from the thrift shops. My doomsday prep in that case will be a few NOS arcade monitors, modded to accept my consoles. Each of those should have at least 20 years use on the modest side.

And I've read all about recent systems that need re-capping every 2 decades or so. That's not too bad, for the older systems...but anything new, like say my Gameboy SP (ok, newer than my NES stuff!)?...with the tiny electronics in that, once it's gone, chances are it's gonna be gone for good.

But then...GASP...what to do when the machines themselves start dropping like flies?

They were talking about EMP and such, and how something like that would destroy all electonics. From what I know of EMP, you need some kind of lead shielding...ok, maybe not lead, but aluminum, some kind of metal enclosure. I thought that EMP would only affect electronics not connected to a power source on the grid, but I guess that's not the case.

So what do we do then?

I've never been a huge fan of emulators, but it seems the only viable long term solution. Which begs the question:

Why can't we have an emulator that mimics the original hardware in it's entirety? I've heard of VCS on a chip (like the FB2), but even that has its limits from what I've read. Why not an emulator that emulates each and every process of the original hardware?

Anyways...food for thought. What do you guys think?

This is something I already addressed a while back. But it's good that people are thinking about it. Just like they are wondering more and more how to connect the classic systems to modern displays. It's inevitable as CRTs burn out and just go away. So.. Anyways.. I prepared 3 boxes with the necessary hardware and documentation to get up and running after the worst imaginable. In case of apocalypse these would be among the few surviving caches without a doubt.

To directly answer your questions about emulators:

1- Yes, emulators are the only viable means of long term preservation. People get mad and angry and miffed with that notion, and make up all sorts of excuses and complain about purity and this and that. I say let the haters hate. It's what they do best.

2- We can have an emulator that can emulate anything down to the smallest detail - there is no technical reason why not. It's a matter of someone wanting to take the time..

• Like 1

I think that the consoles I own that haven't died already, stand a good chance of outliving me.

After that, I don't much care. I know not all of them will make it, but I think most will. Earlier this year, when my 800xl's power supply went bad and over-volted the system, I really started paying attention to the possibility of beloved systems dying. I have backups/multiples of consoles that are very important to me. For example an extra mv-1c with the battery clipped for storage in case my Omega dies.

I'm not as sure about my games. At some point, I'm going to have to sort out all the ones with internal batteries and do a removal/swap for long-term storage. I probably should have done that years ago. I already remove them from systems--except dreamcast because that's a pain... Flashcarts seem like a good option for keeping gaming alive, since I worry more about my games than hardware.

I've also pretty well abandoned CRTs already. I'm all about scalers and RGB now. The Framemeister has a few issues with specific titles, but largely lives its price tag.

At some point, if software emulation actually becomes the best option for playing games, I'll consider it. I'm also following a couple hardware recreation projects (some have a lot more promise than others). Both options might be good alternatives for consoles that are fragile, or feature technology that hasn't aged well (game gear comes right to mind).

As far as prepping them to survive a nuclear blast--I'm not prepping myself for that, so I don't care if they do.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

This is something I already addressed a while back. But it's good that people are thinking about it. Just like they are wondering more and more how to connect the classic systems to modern displays. It's inevitable as CRTs burn out and just go away. So.. Anyways.. I prepared 3 boxes with the necessary hardware and documentation to get up and running after the worst imaginable. In case of apocalypse these would be among the few surviving caches without a doubt.

To directly answer your questions about emulators:

1- Yes, emulators are the only viable means of long term preservation. People get mad and angry and miffed with that notion, and make up all sorts of excuses and complain about purity and this and that. I say let the haters hate. It's what they do best.

2- We can have an emulator that can emulate anything down to the smallest detail - there is no technical reason why not. It's a matter of someone wanting to take the time..

Emulators are fine for older systems from before the 2000's, but systems made afterwards still have difficulty being emulated, to say nothing of how long it will be before emulation of 360 and PS3 games arrives. And while emulation works well for most cartridge based systems, the availability of newer clone systems like the Retron consoles and the Flashback series allows for much more authentic hardware-based preservation of classic gaming experiences. The original systems likely won't last forever, but the cartridges and controllers can last much longer than the original systems, which can be replaced with modern hardware reproductions. Combine the ease of reproducing the electronic guts of original hardware as seen with the clone systems or from various Chinese sources with continuing advances in 3D-printing and there will almost certainly be ways to ensure that emulation is never the ONLY option for experiencing retro systems.

• Like 1

I've been thinking along these lines for a few years already. I've collected a fair number of spare parts for each of my main systems, and I'm fairly comfortable servicing my own hardware. I also try to pick up CRT televisions when I find them locally; most people are anxious to get rid of them, so they're usually fairly cheap. Most of my CRTs are small ones, but that's actually more appropriate for vintage systems, since a 13" TV is a better match for the most common TV sizes at the time (I knew very few people who had enormous TVs in the 70s and 80s). I suspect that my CRTs will last for quite a long time, but I recognize that they won't last forever, so I am interested in exploring my options with more modern displays.

One concern about emulation is that, while emulators may be accurate enough for players and ordinary users, there may not be enough incentive to make them accurate enough for developers to rely on in place of the original hardware (developers can already do much of their work on emulators, of course, but it's still necessary to test on real hardware). Assuming anyone is still developing games for vintage systems decades in the future, we may get into a situation where the majority of developers for these systems are producing games and other software for them that has never before touched the real hardware. That may be a self-limiting problem, though, since the "homebrew hobby" may only last as long as the generation of original owners of these systems.

• Like 1

I have thought about this topic also but along different terms. I figured that in my doomsday scenario I would simply have no chance of preserving my treasures for my self. I figure that people will be forced to become nomadic for survival. No way I can bring my collection along. So if possible I'd try to create an airtight lead coffin to bury my things in. And then create some kind of treasure map so that a future generation can rediscover these things. This scenario could also be a sweet Nick Cage movie!

Edit...

I've been giving this whole treasure map thing a little more thought. It would probably take you across the country finding clues in things that would make little sense to a generation that had not experienced these games. Maybe a shrine of sorts with a ? block that you have to jump and punch to have the next clue pop out. Sort of like an Indiana Jones quest, Or a Davinci code type thing.

Edited by Dripfree
  • Like 1

One day, all those cheap CRT tvs will be gone from the thrift shops. My doomsday prep in that case will be a few NOS arcade monitors, modded to accept my consoles. Each of those should have at least 20 years use on the modest side.

Store some of them as you said... and spare parts.

3 or 4 43 or 55cm TVs should last for 20 years each. And in most TV, what fails are the caps and the flyback transformer.

Replace them and you'll go for 20 more years.

And I've read all about recent systems that need re-capping every 2 decades or so. That's not too bad, for the older systems...but anything new, like say my Gameboy SP (ok, newer than my NES stuff!)?...with the tiny electronics in that, once it's gone, chances are it's gonna be gone for good.

Caps that goes bad are electrolytics ones. Even today, electrolytics can't be miniaturized enough, so you'll be able to replace them still.

And even surface components can be replaced.

They were talking about EMP and such, and how something like that would destroy all electonics. From what I know of EMP, you need some kind of lead shielding...ok, maybe not lead, but aluminum, some kind of metal enclosure. I thought that EMP would only affect electronics not connected to a power source on the grid, but I guess that's not the case.

EMP can happen from natural and artificial causes.

Natural causes include ligtning strikes, and magnetic solar winds.

The EMP produced by a ligtning strike is rather weak. Unless it hit your room where all your consoles are stored, you're safe from it. And if it hit the room, you'll probably get more damage from fire than the EMP.

Magnetic solar winds on the other hand, are a know threat to satellites. But if one was powerful enough to damage your consoles, even unplugged ones... Well it would be also powerful enough to obliterate EVERY other electronics on Earth, and most of the power grid as well.

So unless you are REALLY ready for a doomsday, gaming would be the least of your worries.

Artificial causes are mostly nuclear bombs and "magnetic bombs". Both causes would probably disturb your life enough to prevent you from playing video games.

Why can't we have an emulator that mimics the original hardware in it's entirety? I've heard of VCS on a chip (like the FB2), but even that has its limits from what I've read. Why not an emulator that emulates each and every process of the original hardware?

This is pretty much what Stella and other emulators like MESS and MAME try to do.

Not to simulate the console, but to simulate the processor, graphic chip and RAM and other parts behavior.

As for chips, you have ASIC and FPGA chips that can be programmed to mimic a processor or even a whole system.

The main issue being that like emulators, the result is as good as the program can get.

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 2

So I can now justify my hording of old consoles as preparing for doomsday? :)

I worry about this old stuff dying as much as the next guy.

I'm 32. If this stuff makes it until I'm into my 70s I'll be pretty happy. And when I say stuff I refer to the NES and Genesis.

I have a 3-4 of each console but generally only have one copy of the cart. I have guitars and amplifiers from the 50s and 60s and after having the amps recapped and retubed they work like new. I've heard about having to have consoles recapped but none of mine are at that point. As this hobby ages we may see more "repair" shops popping up.

As for carts dying? I'd be ok using a flashcart on my original hardware if I had to.

I have 2 CRT TVs. I've thought about hording some but they are still cheap and I just don't have the room. But I keep my eye out. If and when they start going up in price I may have to pick a few up.

CRTs like the consoles will eventually die. But again can't these be fixed? I collect vinyl and have a 90s turntable. But I know guys who have 50s and 60s turntables and stereo equipment and they have them serviced.