IGNORED

Atari 8-Bit Hex Editor Wanted

ballyalley

I'm looking for an Atari 8-Bit hex editor. I want the hex editor to run under DOS 2.0s and 64K.

I'm having trouble finding such a program using the "hex editor" search term. The following link is an example, for MS Windows, of what I think of as a typical "hex editor:"

http://HxD - Freeware Hex Editor

So, basically, I want this type of program for the Atari.

Is the correct term that I'm looking for a "sector editor?" I thought those types of programs were only for examing sectors on a disk. Is a sector editor the actual program that I'm looking for? If so, then I guess the following posting is already the perfect link:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/219961-atari-8-bit-sector-editor-wanted/

I'm just looking for something simple to learn-- I don't think it needs many features.

Adam

I've always used "Disk Wizard II" for my sector editing needs.

These replies have been about sector editors-- which is fine, as I probaby need one of these too, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for... I don't think. From these replies thus far I take it that that "hex editor" and "sector editor" are interchangeable phrases on the Atari 8-bit. Is that correct?

To give a little more detail of what I expect of a hex editor: I want to look at what resides in RAM. Do sectors editors allow that? Am I confused here...?

There are also lots of good sector editors, but I also normally use DWII. Mostly because it does DD and resides nicely as a file on my HDs.

-Larry

DWII is a great sector editor, my first choice as well. Those of us with stock 1050's beware though, it can't handle enhanced density disks. 720 sectors is the max., either in single or in double density.

re-atari

These replies have been about sector editors-- which is fine, as I probaby need one of these too, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for... I don't think. From these replies thus far I take it that that "hex editor" and "sector editor" are interchangeable phrases on the Atari 8-bit. Is that correct?

To give a little more detail of what I expect of a hex editor: I want to look at what resides in RAM. Do sectors editors allow that? Am I confused here...?

Hex editor works mainly on files and some monitor programs will do this as part of their features. Omnimon has such features along with Bug/65. They read memory mostly and show contents of same, which can be made to be read in files very easily for such direct observation. DDT also a popular one to try.

A sector editor could be made to do the same if you made a file of the memory you want to look at and then use the sector editor on that file. But they are NOT the same thing even when they can display the information in a similar manner.

So not really interchangeable phrases to begin with, don't think there was ever a true PC type hex editor for the 8 bit that I can think of. But so many monitors can be made to do the same work that there would be no real need for such a beast.

There are some disk-based programs that allow you to examine and edit a file in memory. These were not true monitors as others mention. There was also a program that allowed you to read an entire SD disk into expanded memory and then edit it that way (can't remember its name right now).

But the best of the best is Omnimon XL, if you can put it into rom.

-Larry

• 6 years later...

Not that I know of, would be difficult to display the information in 40 characters

2 characters for line + 3*8 characters for decimal number+9 spaces

already @35 characters and you would need another 8 characters to display 

each "character".

You could obviously do it with less than 8 per line but then you may not be able to display 

a complete sector on screen.

I am using an 800xl, but I am actually going to do this on a PC with qb64, that way I can display 80 cols, what I want to do is display the decimal number as a character, I can read the file from the Fujinet directly, and it will be easier that way., I just want to display all of the team data in Hardball and make changes to it maybe from my editor program.

Here is the hardball editor program anyways for 35 years ago: 

Hardball-Team-Editor.atr

Hardball-Team-Editor-Docs.atr

HardBall (1985)(Accolade)(US)[cr Captain Wizard].atr

And a video that shows you how to use it

• Like 2