IGNORED

Game Gear cap replacement service:

Bratwurst

You pay when the work is completed and everything is ready to be sent back- return shipping is not included in these prices.

Replacing all caps: $45

This will fix dim displays and low/no audio. I replace everything on the main, sound and power boards with new caps and take my time so there is no damage to the tracework. The sound board gets audio-grade Nichicon caps, and I use quality brand caps everywhere else like Panasonic, Nichicon, Vishay, etc. When I work on your system, I handle it with respect. The plastic shell is set on a soft cloth to protect against scratches, and I tape anti-static plastic over the screen when I work on a pulled mainboard to further protect it from any damage.

New screen cover: ???

If enough people ask for this I'll place a bulk order. As I understand it, the reproduction screen covers are made of a different, softer vinyl/plastic than the original hard plastic covers, and may have different visual clarity.

NOTICE: Game Gears with VA4 revision boards can be a little unreliable. They say 2110K on the back- it's best to stick with 2110 and 2110G models.

Keep in mind that these handhelds are a little over 20 years old and using 1990s technology, don't expect a PSP quality display with zero motion blur! I also cannot reasonably guarantee your Game Gear will last forever. I am just someone replacing the caps and providing a back lighting solution!

A recapping will generally not fix the following:

Systems that auto shut off when you try to turn them on, scrambled video, stuck lines, dead pixels. In those cases, I recommend swapping the mainboard with a known good one. If you want me to recap in an attempt to address these problems, I'll do so, but I expect to be paid regardless of the outcome.

Edited by Bratwurst
  • Like 2

Here's a link to a thread from a couple of years ago, when the.golden.ax was still offering his services. I'm not sure what he would be charging now, or how reasonable these rates would be considered, but it's a starting point, anyway.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/188877-service-offered-sega-game-gear-repair/

As for myself, I'm in Canada, but I have three Game Gears — only one of which is in working order — if you're looking for machines to get started. :)

Edited by vanderveen88

I'm potentially interested depending on how things develop ;)

Sadly, I've been burned before by others providing Game Gear recaps. 3/5 of the systems I paid well to have recapped no longer work properly, all demonstrating dead cap symptoms *again*. That wouldn't have happened if the full recaps I paid for were done. Maybe 1/5 could have had bad solder or another issue, but 3/5 is very close to impossible if it the recaps were done properly.

Depending on when you had them recapped, it could have been a case of capacitor plague.

Of the three systems I just worked on and reviewing what others have found out for themselves, it seems like there is a certain board revision of Game Gears that are failure prone to a point that a full recap won't fix it.

It's possible that not all of the caps were replaced, or a bad cap was introduced, but given the various accounts I've seen online of attempted recapping and my personal experience, the VA4 board revision, labeled 2110K on the back, are to be avoided and not worth the trouble. VA1 boards, labeled simply 2110 or 2110G are the ones to stick with.

I'm still experimenting with the LED mod and working on improving it to replicate the full, even brightness of the original fluorescent tube while improving battery life. This wouldn't be a simple two LED install but a custom array of MANY bulbs with special diffusion. I'll be updating this thread soon with prices and availability of the recapping / LED service.

I could use a rework on the caps and redoing the LED mod on my Game Gear - you can't really see the screen very well in daylight. Also a new screen protector would be nice.

The new replacement screen protectors that are available today are made of a soft plastic that is flexible compared to the original hard plastic covers, and may not have the same visual clarity. But if someone wants them installed I could offer that as well for a little extra.

I've had zero luck in recapping Game Gears. The only one I know that's still going is the one I did just the sound board on. I got one kit that had faulty caps in it, so that may be my problem.
My go to Game Gear still has all but one original cap in it; I removed that one to do an LED backlight mod. It never had any issues at all beforehand, although now it will switch off at random when the power plug is used. It runs on batteries just fine and they last forever between charges.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I've finished tinkering with the first batch of Game Gears that were sent to me by someone on Digital Press, and I've updated the first post to invite orders for recapping. I'm still not entirely satisfied with how the LED mod has been coming along, I wound up making a custom reflector box lined with 12 surface mount LEDs around the perimeter of the screen. It uses less power than the original CCFL but it was very labor intensive. I wasn't able to diffuse the light entirely either. it's my opinion that sticking with the CCFL is still the most thorough, even lighting solution.

In the meantime, I'm offering to do the basic 2 LED mod for now, but if you want me to install the 12 LED + custom reflector ask and I'll give you a quote.

GameGearLED1.jpgGameGearStock1.jpg

GameGearLED2.jpg

GameGearStock2.jpg

• 1 year later...

$35 is a great price, for the record. It's easily an hour or more labor and some of the work is delicate, to say the least. I've currently got a VA4 in pieces on the bench and the condition of some of the solder pads leaves a bit to be desired. I've cleaned the pads with some 90% rubbing alcohol, will swab them with some acetone, flux the pads and hope for the best. I'm hoping the thing works when I'm finished so that I can put it up for sale at MGC. I've done a VA1 in the past and it turned out OK without incident.