IGNORED

making a tape cable for the atari 800xl

Spanner

It's more complicated than that. The Atari tape drives send data as digital, not analog. I have had some success using one of those cassette adapters that look like a tape with a wire coming out that are designed to play a portable CD or MP3 player in your car cassette stereo. I put the adapter in a 410 drive and played a .wav file into it.

Edited by Kyle22

Hi

I would like to make one so I can use my phone and play back a wav file.

How would I go about it,whats the pinout to the sio port on the back of the 800 Xl..

Thanks..

You don't use the SIO port for sound. The tape loading sound goes out the audio of the monitor port.

Audio out is pin 37 of the POKEY chip. It goes to pin 3 of the monitor jack.

If you had a monitor cable, you'd have the audio as a RCA plug.

Monitor port, looking at it from the rear.

3 1

5 4

Dose the tape use pin 11 audio in..?

I was thinking of adding the ear phone connector to the tape board inside the tape deck,but i need to know what wires are what in the tape deck..

Its a ATARI XC12..?

The Atari tape decks are stereo, the right track is used for DATA and the left for audio. There are some games which included audio instructions which would play once a certain point in the game was reached. IIRC MoonBase IO was one. There is another audio in on pin 49 of the PBI.

For playing the left track of an audio tape with an Atari tape deck a POKE 54018,52 turns the motor signal on and POKE 54018,60 turns the motor signal off.

The schematics are available here if you want to try adding a headphone jack, but it may not be simple since it's doubtful both channels have the same amount of amplification.

I think that 20Hz-20kHz range is sound range in it's nature.

No mean rectangle signal shape or triangle or sinusoid.

Digital recognition is only voltage level comparison.

The second is that sound signal really goes from ANTIC to Monitor port but not to SIO.

And stereo sound can be someway accessible from magnetic head of XC12.

I prefer Nakamichi Dragon instead.

Because of poor XC12 mechanic. ;)

As stated before, Atari tapes are stereo. The AUDIO IN pin is only used to play one channel through the monitor. The other channel is FSK encoded and is turned into an SIO data stream. An interface to do the decoding from any device could probably be built into an SIO plug.

The second is that sound signal really goes from ANTIC to Monitor port but not to SIO.

??

Pokey and ctia/gtia produce sounds that go to monintor and TV. SIO has an audio in pin that goes to monintor. Those with a parrallel bus/ECI also have an audio in.

Pokey does actually send audio to SIO bus serial out when using 2 tone mode for cassette use only. (see $D20F) Not otherwise useful.

James

Edited by sup8pdct

2 sup8pdct

Hi James. I see now that sound goes to monitor through SIO. I'm sorry :) .

I understand Spanner so that he want to playback wav image of some ATARI program from standard 3mm audio jack of mobile phone into Atari 800XL.

Car cassette adapters like this http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/images/products/hama/hamamainlarge2.jpg make this work out of the box with any cassette player.

They transfer needed magnetic field from it's magnetic head directly to magnetic head of XC12 for example.

All needed amplifications/attenuations are in adapter.

All we need is to insert adapter in XC12 and insert 3mm audio jack into audio output of mobile phone.

then turn on the mobile player and press play on XC12.

That's all.

Check out this thread it is a catalog of my experiments and solutions when I was searching for the answer to the same question your asking. You will need an 410 or 1010 I don't think there is a way around that without some serious hacking.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/210630-atari-cassette/?hl=%2Bcassette+%2Bdripfree&do=findComment&comment=2767662

Edited by Dripfree