IGNORED

VGA Out of Jag - Questions

Jagosaurus

First, I know there are multiple pin outs & signal types (outputting different MHz & resolutions I believe?) for VGA.

What type of signal does the cat box & similar devices output, and can this signal be used on older monitors... or more modern 15 pin VGA inputs only?

I'm in the US & am exploring ways to get VGA out of the Jag & the types of compatible monitors. Not really all that interested in expensive SCART to component converters before that's mentioned. I have a TV that accepts VGA & would like to know what type of older CRT VGA monitors I can use. I know simple pin adapters (15 pin to "xx" pin) doesn't necessarily mean the monitor can run the signal.

Recommendations for Atari monitors that work with Jag welcome! Basically... if I'm out at flea markets, hunting old PC monitors & TVs with VGA, what will work & what are my means to do so?

THANKS!!!

I imagine its a 15khz signal and you'd need a compatible monitor if you didn't want to deal with any type of transcoding/conversion hardware.

You might need an adapter for the DB9 connector (such as to HD15).

It'd be interesting to know what the sync on the new IO board is, composite or RGBHV. I think the Catbox can do both. Doesn't really matter to me though, happy with the S-Video out. Only use RGB if necessary (such as when composite video is the only alternative).

• Like 1

Only really old CRT VGA monitors (NEC Multisync) and a minority of LCD VGA monitors support this.

If you want the "authentic retro look", get an old RGB monitor (Commodore 1084, Atari SC1224, etc.)

If you want to use a modern monitor, the best bet is probably a RGB-to-DVI/HDMI converter.

Edited by Zerosquare
  • Like 1