IGNORED

How to check Apple 20MB hard drive?

Uzumaki

Before Macintosh had SCSI, Apple released a 20MB hard drive that connected via floppy drive port. It only lasted a short time as Mac Plus came out with built in SCSI that was faster.

Anyway I have this hard drive but I don't have a Macintosh with the external disk drive port. I have a Powerbook Duo with minidock that has square 20 pin connector, a Mac Centris 610 with only internal disk drive, a Wallstreet G3 and iMac with no disk drive support. Any of you have experience with the oddball hard drive and can tell me how to test it beside powering it on and watching for any smoke.

According to Google, it used hard drive that had completely different connector and is not SCSI or IDE at all. A propriety format that was only used in Apple HD20. So taking it apart is not an option unless the disk drive connector inside is a regular 20 pin that is same as standard Macintosh internal drive, then I could open it and run the flat 20 connector cable.

Unless you want to get into the ancient Mac scene, I think the most reasonable test would be to put it on Ebay "as is" and see what happens. I suspect it's not going to get much interest. If there's a collector out there, he or she would probably pay market rate regardless of whether or not it's working.

The forums at LowEndMac (link above) would probably be more useful than AtariAge if you want to pursue this.

Old computer gear is old!

The market rate is over $100 for working version. It's funny how a 30 year old hard drive the size of 3 bricks, requires external power, and really old computer is worth as much as today's pocket sized portable hard drive that can hold about 100,000 times the old hard drive capacity.

I'll keep poking. I'd like that extra $50 over "untested but looks good" rate.