IGNORED

WTB 486 computer

dafivehole

• 7 months later...

Yeah, I was just looking on there... didn't see anything. The ones on eBay are priced unrealistically... I've seen ones on CL here in Denver for anywhere from $5 to $50 but I can never manage to meet to pick them up... I spoke to Goodwill and ERI and they recycle them and won't even try to get me one! The way the recyclers are going, these are getting extremely hard to find... as time goes on, their values will only go up (I would think)...

I'm not looking to "flip" one and make money, I genuinely want one to use/play with... I have all of the games ready to go, I just don't have a machine to play them on!

Thanks,

Roger

I ended up building mine from parts off eBay. It wasn't easy. I bought a mixed lot of motherboards that happened to have a working 486 VLB mobo with 486DX2-50 CPU. Sourcing an AT case and PS is not easy. An old PS could easily blow up and destroy your expensive mobo (I had a mobo catch on fire). New PS are missing the -5v rail needed to power certain ISA cards. VLB disk controller cards are not too pricey, but the video cards can be. It's easy to forget that this era was pre ATX, pre built-in IDE. Working 5.25" drives (if you need one) are at least $30. All told, I'd say that any guaranteed working 486 with all this stuff for $200 or less is a good deal.

I've spent more on classic consoles that are nice collectibles but nowhere near as fun as a 486 DOS rig.

It's so funny how vintage computers are now being sought after. I always said it was great playing games on the older computers. I wonder if I still have my 8088 from when I was in college over 25 years ago. About 8 years ago, I bought 2 laptops for $25 in a garage sale. One was never even used and didn't even have anything on it. Don't know how fast they were, but they were obsolete when I bought them, so they couldn't have been that great. :)

Phil

DOS games were some of the best videogames of the era, hands down. I just loaded Dark Forces onto my Pentium III rig. It came out in 1995. I love classic consoles, but there is no FPS on the PS1, N64, Saturn that can touch the quality of Dark Forces. (I do get that comparing these platforms is unfair because of the cost of a gaming rig BITD).

Have you ever looke at Single Board Compuers? Like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Computer-Accessory-Mother-Board-486DX2-66MHZ-128K-CACHE-PROC-/121569634934?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4e1d6a76

Self contained 486PC on a single board, some of them come with video card, some w/o. Also you may need a backplain.

I had one 486 version installed in my Amiga 2000, but I felt it was too slow to play Doom, and Quake was a no go. For DOS games can be usefull.

I eventually sold it and got myself Pentium MMX 266MHz, I'm alot happier.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...