IGNORED

486 vs pentium dos computer

mehguy

Both programs worked great on the 486 (haven't tested on the P120 yet).

I tried AT-Slow on the Pentium yesterday. After disabling the cache, it didn't require much to slow it down, so I might try fine tuning the settings...but even slowing it down a tiny amount made it emit a high-pitched whine.

I think I'll just stick with the P120 for 386 era stuff, and use the 486 for anything older than that, since most of those games don't support sound cards anyway.

Thanks for the memory. Until you said this, I forgot how much fun I had with a 486 DX2/66. I've since forgotten how to edit AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files. Refresher course, anyone? :)

Edit: Remember the rare 486 DX-50? (NOT the DX2/50) This was one of the last processors where "bus speed" and "processor speed" were the same thing. Unless I'm mistaken.

I had one of those. I paid like 450 dollars for I think 1 meg of ram (4 256k simms/ sipps?) and a motherboard with a Cyrix 486 DX-50 running at the full 50mhz for both bus and processor. Most unreliable piece of crap computer I ever owned but when it ran, it ran decently compared to my buddy's DX2-66. I still have the chip I believe.