IGNORED

Lynx II arriving soon, would like some rechargeable battery suggestions

Stevaside

Ordered it from Best a few days ago & it should be here within next few days along with a few games....Can't wait! :)

I got the package with the AC Adapter, but soon I would like get a decent battery charger/ set of batteries for it....After doing some searching, it seems like 6-Bay chargers are kind of a rarity, but 8-Bay are more common...There's alot of conflicting reviews for the chargers I've looked into so far & I figured the best thing to do would be to ask everybody here what they've had success with & possibly what to avoid, as well as with battery brands/models...

Thanks in advance

Well I just use "normal" 2700 mAh NiMH batteries, from the next best local supermarket (Edeka), plus an inexpensive 25-Euro-single channel control charger (techno line BC 700), they have been doing a fantastic job the past years for Lynx, GameGear, Nomad, radios, GP2X etc :)

Edited by Atari_afternoon

Panasonic Eneloop batteries are by far the best rechargeable AA batteries in the long run. When I got the Lynx I used some GP 2700 batteries, they were great at the beginning, unfortunately now (after like 3 years) their capacity is somewhere around 1500- 1800 mAh, also after charging them they got drained crazy fast without any use, after like 1-2 months they are flat. Eneloop's capacity stays pretty much the same for a years, also they can be recharged more than 2000 times. Charger wise I can second Atari_afternoon, I use the exact same charger (techno line BC 700), cheap and it is an amazing piece of kit, charges every cell separately, you can recondition rechargeable batteries, change the charging current, check voltage, capacity etc etc. I have two of those chargers so I can charge 8 batteries at the same time.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies....Good to know about those Eneloop batteries, I'll probably wind up going with those. That does seem like a great charger too, I read up on it a bit...I would like to try to find a model that has 8 slots though if I could though compared to buying 2 seperate units...A couple I looked into so far had a few bad reviews, gonna have to do some more searching.

i like these http://www.ebay.com/itm/300773636272

there is a little secret that the precharged duracell that have white rings around the positive button are eneloops

yes they are only 2000mah but they just seem to last better

make sure you use a charger that has individual charging bays chargers that do a pair always end up undercharging them both or just overcharging one

since you need 6 you might as well buy 3 packs so you can have 2 sets of 6

here is a decent charger http://www.ebay.com/itm/321436719673

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Another vote for Eneloops. There may be higher MAh batteries out there but nothing beats Eneloops' reliability. I picked up an 8-pack of Eneloops a few years ago and they work well (but let it be noted that I only use them in my camera and I don't use the same pairing every time so they can all wear more evenly). If you go with Energizer, READ THE NUMBER ON THE BATTERY before you purchase because not only do they have four different ratings of batteries available, I've seen 800MAh and 2300MAh batteries that look exactly the same be side-by-side on a pegboard with no obvious packaging difference -- heck, the 800s were more than the 2300s at Kmart when I was shopping for a four-pack for semipermanent installation in an Archos MP3 player.

The charger I'm using was cheap, there was some $5 offer of a Sunpak Rapid Charger (7 hour) and four 1200MAh Ni-Cds years ago, and there's a switch on the charger to switch to NiMH mode; the batteries decayed years ago but the charger still works. I guess the consideration the average person makes is how long it takes to charge a set, because some people *need* their batteries recharged in 45 minutes while others like me won't miss them overnight, plus possibly just how well a particular battery can handle being charged rapidly (since older cells weren't made for 1-2 hour chargers).

Edited by themushroom

Congrats on the Lynx II; the are sweet. I still have mine in operation for when they first came out and I begged my wife to let me get one at the local department store. She did not understand then, she still does not understand it. My first game besides the pack in Calif. Games (which I still love) was Slime World (also still cool).

• Like 1

My Lynx II should be arriving tomorrow and this thread was a great read. I am going to check into getting 3 of the 4-packs of them and that charger that was listed above. I like that the LCD read-out shows individual battery capacities....

I saw this on Amazon and I wonder if its any good.....its got 16 bay individual cell charging ability. Charges 12 AA and 4 AAA batteries. Has a digital read-out like the charger above and even comes with the batteries. 12 AA batteries rated at 2100Mah.

Edited by DvdXploitr

I saw this on Amazon and I wonder if its any good.....its got 16 bay individual cell charging ability. Charges 12 AA and 4 AAA batteries. Has a digital read-out like the charger above and even comes with the batteries. 12 AA batteries rated at 2100Mah.

On the raw details above, it sounds pretty good. Decent rating of cells included. Now, as for actual performance, get back to us about how good it is. :)