IGNORED

2014 Houston Arcade Expo - November 7th and 8th

SpiceWare

I spent yesterday (Sunday) evening digging out and setting up hardware, then spent yesterday night testing and pretty-fying some Apple II disks. I'll be spending this evening cleaning the disk drives that went wonky after trying to read (literally) flaky disks.

All this stuff's just getting too damn old, and so am I. But it will all still be there!

@Albert i hope that Warlords is back up and running! we have to get back into that warfare!!!!

Spike!

Sadly, I will not be at this year's show, the first time I've missed it in many years now. There are too many interesting things happening this weekend, and I committed to doing another one of those things instead of HAAG this year. I do expect to be back next year, though! I wish I could clone myself so I could be at these different events, then merge all the clones back together after. :)

That one night of Warlords until something like 6am was truly remarkable. I really look forward to doing that again someday! I may need to acquire my own Warlords cocktail so I can personally make sure there is one at such events!

..Al

I created this image for a contest sponsored by my employer's PAC. People were encouraged to vote, and then send in a picture having something to do with the voting process.

post-6115-0-76769700-1415205321_thumb.jpg

This represented my Tuesday evening: catching up on email after leaving work early to go vote, tearing apart an Apple II DuoDisk to clean the heads in time for the Arcade Expo, and enjoying a patriotic serving of hot chocolate after performing my civic duty. The hot chocolate was the important part. Earlier they stated some places have laws against taking cameras into the voting area, and that mug shots would not be accepted for the contest. So I made a mug shot anyway. DON'T TREAD ON ME! :D

It may be apparent that since my employer is not Apple, I made sure to turn the DuoDisk around so the Apple logo would not appear.

My roommate, the more artistic one, assisted in touching up the photo for submission. Ever the laugh riot, he suggested I send this in instead:

post-6115-0-62502600-1415205373_thumb.jpg

I've come up with the following for the 7800's placard:

The Atari 7800 ProSystem was officially released in 1986, though it saw limited release in test markets the summer of 1984.

The 7800 was the first console to have built in backward compatibility with an older system, the Atari 2600. Other consoles offered backward compatibility via a plug-in model, like the Expansion Module #1 for the ColecoVision and System Changer for the Intellivision - surprisingly both of which added support for Atari 2600 software.

This is what I have for the ColecoVision so far - any suggestions?

Released in 1982, the ColecoVision ??

This is what I have for the ColecoVision so far - any suggestions?

Released in 1982, the ColecoVision ??

Released in 1982, the ColecoVision marketed a home Arcade experience with richer sound and better detailed graphics than offered by consoles previously.

It provides compatibility with the Atari 2600 via its first available expansion module, and further enhanced video game playing at home with the Driving controller expansion. A third expansion module converted the console into the Adam computer. Super Action controllers and a Roller controller are also available.

Well over 2 million consoles were sold.

• Like 1

Thanks, highlighting the expansion port is a good idea - was the ColecoVision first to feature an expansion port? I'll add something about the Super Game Module too.

I finished testing all the systems last night. Good thing I did, the SELECT and RESET switches on my heavy sixer were stuck. I had my folks bring up their four-switch Atari when they were running errands in Houston yesterday. The picture isn't quite a clear as the heavy sixer, neither are modded for modern AV connections, but at least you can start games and select variations.

Tonight I have to get everything staged so when my folks get here in the morning we can quickly load up their car and head down to the expo.

• Like 1

...was the ColecoVision first to feature an expansion port?

A dedicated expansion port? Yes - It was the first video game console per all information I've come across.

However, Intellivision also features expansion add-ons that could interconnect to each another ultimately starting at the cartridge port of the console.

post-18-0-22065800-1415302951_thumb.jpg

Safe travels and enjoy the expo!

A dedicated expansion port? Yes - It was the first video game console per all information I've come across.

However, Intellivision also features expansion add-ons that could interconnect to each another ultimately starting at the cartridge port of the console.

attachicon.gifINTELLCABLE-INTY-V-ECS.jpg

Safe travels and enjoy the expo!

I'm looking for a nice clean working Mattel Intellivision console.....and I'm at the ArcadeExpo........know of any available in Houston or at the expo??

Arena, I may have a spare Intellivision. I'll make a note to bring it along... and hopefully I'll read that note before it's too late!

I won't have time to test it before I head out tomorrow, but I know it worked before I put in storage, and maybe Spice will be nice enough to let us borrow a TV for moment or two. :)

• Like 1

Arena, if you see this before Saturday night and you haven't found an Intelly already, PM me. I'll check throughout the day.

I'm looking for a nice clean working Mattel Intellivision console.....and I'm at the ArcadeExpo........know of any available in Houston or at the expo??

Sorry, I saw this after the fact. I bought one from GameOver Video Games in Houston. Thanks anyway Fuji!

No problem at all. Game Over is a good shop and I'm all for giving them business. If you'd like some not-mint-but-not-expensive games for your new Intelly, PM me.

I had a great time at the Expo this year, even with the added challenge of bringing computers and making sure they actually worked. Albert, Spice, Doc, all you guys have my respect and admiration for doing this every year, and with a whole lot more machines than the three I brought. Only when I actually agreed to bring machines did I start thinking about the things you never actually see in the show, like spare hardware, spare cables, and of course all the prep time getting 25-to-30-year-old disks and disk drives to play nice with each other. My roommate can tell you, I got very grumpy at times last week leading up to the show. I think it was all worth it, though, especially when I got to see little scenes like a father showing his daughter how to play The Oregon Trail and what "press space bar to continue" really means.

I'll have pictures later, once I get them off my phone and cleaned up.

Nice meeting you, Doc, and you too, Spice! Your presentation made 2600 programming look almost easy! :)

• Like 1

The Jaguar there was mine, it had a rotary modified controller with it and about 8 games. I also brought the Lynx I and II along without about 30+ games for them.

Would love to see the pics you took. Anyone know who brought the Amiga to the expo?

here's the pics I took....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=887739094583926&set=ms.c.eJw9ktmRAzAIQzva4T76b2wTYeXzjSTA4JluHxW1lFr7G7B05ITYkA3s~%3Bli9V9szyXXMvA7qTTw2R16pu8HvRZZj9vPLF~%3BOR4Gzy6Uk9v~%3BP5Duerhf6btwf6Lz~%3Bob8P~_o~%3BCbkhf~_oL7n7x~_fzvlXjo2sfmzkAus~_NkW9aHJ~%3B~_2e~%3Bfa7LMfPu4GI~_8N5ZJ~_exkBs8b5~_bhnxSz0R~%3BZT4x3zTrV8DPe2w1~%3BKLkOuZ8XfD~%3B3t~%3BYxyR55JjvmzhmvcX9tdlv773CeRb3G799hQj~_n1aS7bjI9x7bx6rHQT5~%3B0q83z7v~%3Bh29~_pW7YX4yQA~%3BlgPT~_9qTvuP28~%3BH776wvp3n373~_TD~_8~_eK~%3B7cTvCg~-.bps.a.887737954584040.1073741837.100000435325292&type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=887739804583855&set=ms.c.eJw9ktmRAzAIQzva4T76b2wTYeXzjSTA4JluHxW1lFr7G7B05ITYkA3s~%3Bli9V9szyXXMvA7qTTw2R16pu8HvRZZj9vPLF~%3BOR4Gzy6Uk9v~%3BP5Duerhf6btwf6Lz~%3Bob8P~_o~%3BCbkhf~_oL7n7x~_fzvlXjo2sfmzkAus~_NkW9aHJ~%3B~_2e~%3Bfa7LMfPu4GI~_8N5ZJ~_exkBs8b5~_bhnxSz0R~%3BZT4x3zTrV8DPe2w1~%3BKLkOuZ8XfD~%3B3t~%3BYxyR55JjvmzhmvcX9tdlv773CeRb3G799hQj~_n1aS7bjI9x7bx6rHQT5~%3B0q83z7v~%3Bh29~_pW7YX4yQA~%3BlgPT~_9qTvuP28~%3BH776wvp3n373~_TD~_8~_eK~%3B7cTvCg~-.bps.a.887737954584040.1073741837.100000435325292&type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=887739844583851&set=ms.c.eJw9ktmRAzAIQzva4T76b2wTYeXzjSTA4JluHxW1lFr7G7B05ITYkA3s~%3Bli9V9szyXXMvA7qTTw2R16pu8HvRZZj9vPLF~%3BOR4Gzy6Uk9v~%3BP5Duerhf6btwf6Lz~%3Bob8P~_o~%3BCbkhf~_oL7n7x~_fzvlXjo2sfmzkAus~_NkW9aHJ~%3B~_2e~%3Bfa7LMfPu4GI~_8N5ZJ~_exkBs8b5~_bhnxSz0R~%3BZT4x3zTrV8DPe2w1~%3BKLkOuZ8XfD~%3B3t~%3BYxyR55JjvmzhmvcX9tdlv773CeRb3G799hQj~_n1aS7bjI9x7bx6rHQT5~%3B0q83z7v~%3Bh29~_pW7YX4yQA~%3BlgPT~_9qTvuP28~%3BH776wvp3n373~_TD~_8~_eK~%3B7cTvCg~-.bps.a.887737954584040.1073741837.100000435325292&type=1&theater

Thanks for the pics! I didn't see you sneak in the arena football cart! I would have loved to see that!

I am glad everyone enjoyed Vector Pilot and my Vectrex as well. I think Vector Pilot is the best ported game ever made for the Vectrex! Can't wait to find some pics of me Walter Day getting his first Oculus Rift VR experience!

• Like 1

Thanks for the pics! I didn't see you sneak in the arena football cart! I would have loved to see that!

I am glad everyone enjoyed Vector Pilot and my Vectrex as well. I think Vector Pilot is the best ported game ever made for the Vectrex! Can't wait to find some pics of me Walter Day getting his first Oculus Rift VR experience!

I played a couple of times early Friday morning......its not a complete (playable) game. In which I was really disappointed in it. The graphics were great.....only 2 of the AFL helmets in the menu were correct - all the other were white with the correct logo on them (as if they didn't finish that part), no matter which home team you chose, it was always the "Albany Firebirds" field (endzones), you could call the play but had no control of any players (similar to the old NFL Head Coach for PS2 or Xbox), etc etc

I did shoot some video of the game play - I have to review it to see if I had the camera positioned just right to see it.

I did enjoy the Tempest 2000 with that modified controller!!! Did you do that yourself or had someone do it? If in the future I get a console, I'll want to get one of those!

And I really enjoyed the Vector Pilot BUT without the overlay. I found it too hard to play with the overlay which is totally the opposite of how I regularly play my Vectrex - its hard on my eyes to play without the overlays. I did play several times on that one and have several screen shots to use to submit to highscore.com.

Thanks again!

Edited by Arenafoot

I did enjoy the Tempest 2000 with that modified controller!!! Did you do that yourself or had someone do it? If in the future I get a console, I'll want to get one of those!

And I really enjoyed the Vector Pilot BUT without the overlay. I found it too hard to play with the overlay which is totally the opposite of how I regularly play my Vectrex - its hard on my eyes to play without the overlays. I did play several times on that one and have several screen shots to use to submit to highscore.com.

Thanks again!

I bought the modified controller from user nicolas_persijn on eBay, he does a really good job and offers them in many styles. You can talk him down on price a bit (best offer). I do like the 'rear model, non click' version the best.

Vector Pilot had a lot of different overlays to choose from, I wanted the original green one that was initially made but he was sold out, I asked which was the next best and the red one is what I got. I am not too fond of it, but with the brightness turned up on the Vectrex in a dark room it doesn't bother me too much, I can definitely see it being annoying in the setting it was in. I was glad to see the many players using the overlays on a lot of the games, usually when Vectrex's are out for public display there are no overlays. I don't mind mine getting scratched up in use as long as people are enjoying them! Vectrex is still a great system!

I noticed your initials on Vector Pilot JSS or VPM? I love how it saves the high scores!

Edited by GuruGuy